Question: Good COLD weather meal?

BAMAFAN IN NY

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2007
Watertown, NY
www.myspace.com
I'm a chili/grilled cheese sandwich kinda guy on. I'd have to drink lighter fluid if it were 23 below zero though lol. My body doesnt function correctly when its below freezing
I agree.. I thought about grilling today cause I would be able to break my previuos record.. But the wind is whipping and its -38 with the wind chill. Too cold to tend to a grill

TideRollsInVa

All-SEC
Oct 16, 1999
Lake Martin, AL & Atlanta
I do enjoy some homemade Ham Bone and Bean Sour along with fresh baked bread, maybe a cheese bread or beer bread. Speaking beer, Cheese Beer Soup is also ideal on these cold days. First hand knowledge, I lived in Maine and Scotland for 5 years.

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
Potato soup
Gumbo
Chili & Grilled Cheese sandwich
Navy Bean soup - made with ham hock, little diced carrot and onion added.
Red Beans & Rice with cornbread
My Bama Stew - really a vegetable beef soup, tomato based with lots of veggies in it, great with cornbread or crackers

billonthehill

Apr 28, 2010
Spring Hill, TN
Fried Bologna, Fried Egg & Horseradish cheese sandwich (mustard and mayo if you like) w 2 tablespoons tabasco sauce spread on it. That will heat you up and clear your sinuses too.

ddsmit

Suspended
Jan 3, 2003
Pensacola, FL
Ingredients:
3 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
4 large onions, sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons flour
3 cups beef stock
1 cup dry white wine
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1 bay leaf
salt & pepper to taste
6 slices crusty French bread
3 tablespoons butter
3 cups grated Swiss cheese

Saute onions in oil in Dutch oven over low heat until tender and golden yellow, about 20 to 25 minutes.
Sprinkle flour over onions; cook a few minutes more, browning the flour well. Add stock and wine and bring to boil; add thyme and bay leaf. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer gently for 20 minutes or so. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Meanwhile, spread bread slices with butter and toast under the broiler, watching carefully to avoid burning.
When soup is ready, spoon into 6 ovenproof bowls; top each with a slice of toast. Divide cheese evenly into 6 portions and sprinkle one portion over toast in each bowl.
Place bowls on cookie sheet and bake in 400F oven for 10 to 15 minutes until cheese is bubbly and golden.
This recipe for Baked French Onion Soup serves/makes 6

Rueben

All-American
Sep 5, 2008
NAHTOD
I was gonna suggest a big fat juicy cheeseburger, sitting out on the deck...at the original Margaritaville. ;)

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
Fess up folks how many put Tabasco sauce on their burger or Tabasco ketchup or jalapeno mayo or mustard? I don't always but sometimes I do feel like kicking things up a notch. :)

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
Really cold weather means a pot of chili and a big skillet of cornbread.

My wife just fixed us a batch of Pot Liquor soup that fits the bill pretty well, too.

* 2 pounds collard greens
* 1 (2-pound) ham steak, chopped
* 2 tablespoons hot sauce
* 3 tablespoons olive oil
* 3 medium onions, chopped
* 1 garlic clove, minced
* 6 red potatoes, diced
* 3 (14 1/2-ounce) cans chicken broth
* 2 (16-ounce) cans field peas, drained
* 2 (16-ounce) cans crowder peas, drained
* 2 cups water
* 1/2 cup vermouth
* 1 tablespoon white vinegar
* 1 teaspoon salt

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.