Auburn's Tainted Football History

0LDSCH00L

Suspended
Sep 8, 2010
I think it might be time to refresh some memories...

CBS News correspondent Ed Bradley filed this report on 60 Minutes, 1991. Former Auburn defensive back Eric Ramsey tape-recorded phone ...

YouTube - The Eric Ramsey Tapes

"Former Auburn University football coach Terry Bowden says the program he inherited in 1993 included an elaborate system of paying star high school players up to $15,000 to sign with Auburn and $600 per month while on the team.

In a lengthy interview from the ranch he still owns in Loachapoka, Bowden alleged that the “pay-for-play” system was orchestrated by powerful AU Board of Trustees member Bobby Lowder and carried out by former assistant coach Wayne Hall.

Bowden said the corruption extended to former head coach Pat Dye, and included $30,000 to Atlanta attorneys for Gene Jelks in order to sustain the former University of Alabama player while he leveled charges of wrongdoing in the Crimson Tide program.

Bowden said he learned of the major NCAA infractions within days of being named Auburn ’s head coach, but kept quiet while trying to clean up the program from within.” I broke the rules,” Bowden said. “I told Wayne Hall to pay it off to the players we already had and it will never happen again.

» Remember The Terry Bowden Interview In 2001? | Illegal Shift

"The 1957 Auburn Tigers (10- 0), became the only team ever to win the AP national championship while cooling its heels on bowl probation."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/364528-was-auburns-1957-national-championship-legitimate

Let's get this out of the way early: Cam Newton is going to be ruled ineligible to play college football at some point. That ruling will mean that every game he participated would not count as an Auburn victory. This isn't a question of if, it's a question of when.

It might take 10 days, it might take two years, but the ineligibility ruling is coming. No reasonable person can believe that Cecil Newton Sr. didn't solicit funds from Mississippi State for his son to play football there. (Note, I'm not even considering whether Auburn paid anything for Cam's services. Even if the NCAA can never prove that -- which it may one day be able to prove as well -- there is no doubt that the Newton family's actions in relation to Cam's recruitment to Mississippi State are sufficient enough to rule him ineligible under NCAA rules).

Starting 11: Cam Newton Will Eventually Be Declared Ineligible -- NCAAFB FanHouse

74% of America believe Auburn's 2010 BCS National Championship is tainted:

ESPN.com Poll Results by State

Last edited:

0LDSCH00L

Suspended
Sep 8, 2010
I've always said it was tainted,and that they will be eventually shown to have broken the rules and sanctioned.

This is a quote from a conversation with NCAA spokesperson Stacey Osburn:

“The process and the consideration for the student-athlete’s eligibility being reinstated and the process for a school and secondary or major violations are separate from our perspective,” she said. “… The reinstatement of any student-athletes that might be involved with those violations, that’s handled during a separate process. Quite honestly, the eligibility of a student-athlete is handled first to make sure that as soon as they have all the information to make that decision they do, so the student-athlete isn’t waiting on whether or not they can compete until the full investigation of whether the university is responsible is complete.”

b2v4ua

All-SEC
Dec 12, 2009
Springville,Al
Same ole crap with Awbarn ...different day. One thing I believe is that the majority of what is going on down there will at the least slow down when Lowder gets his come upence. If they get them all the money well will dry up.

tungi01

1st Team
Apr 17, 2010
Dallas, TX
Come on fellas, we've had our share of controversy as well. Can anyone say Albert Means. While our past may not be as sordid as the cow college, we're certainly not angels.

gmart74

Hall of Fame
Oct 9, 2005
Baltimore, Md
as i see it auburn is the red headed step child with acne issues and a mustache with a figure like a refrigerator that gets to dance one day with the cute guy in ballroom dancing class in middle school. let the ugly stump have her one day in the spotlight before she goes back to being the hideous creature in the corner.

We_are_Bama

Suspended
Dec 11, 2008
A barner told me the other day that he had no doubt in his mind whatsoever that they were going to repeat next season and that despite all the seniors and the three who went pro, the best players are still on the team. And that another "cam-caliber" player that nobody knew about was just waiting in the wings. So in other words, they bought one championship and they fully intend to buy another one. I mean, what else can "we have another cam-caliber player" mean?

crimsonboy

BamaNation Citizen
Feb 1, 2008
Come on fellas, we've had our share of controversy as well. Can anyone say Albert Means. While our past may not be as sordid as the cow college, we're certainly not angels.
And we paid dearly for it didn't we. All I want is a level playing field.

0LDSCH00L

Suspended
Sep 8, 2010
Trying to compare what Auburn has done to what Alabama has done over the years is like trying to compare a Crack Addict robbing a young couple and killing them to a man taking an extra Newspaper out of the Newspaper machine to save fifty cents....

I am sorry, but Auburn coaches and high ranking Auburn officials being directly linked to paying players just doesn't measure up to a player signing a napkin with and agent and athletes misusing textbooks or even a drunk Vandy Grad trying to bribe a dirty HS coach...

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.