Question: No Rings for our National Champion Cheer Squad?

lowend

All-SEC
Feb 20, 2005
Ummm....where can I pick up my ring for winning the Suddler Trophy with the MDB in 2003? All we got was a t-shirt and lapel pin.

BigAl5833

All-American
Oct 15, 2005
Muscle Shoals, AL
If I was over the cheer squad I would not register as a University of Alabama team at next years competition if that is possible. We all see the advertisements that we want to be the best at anything we compete in as a University. The cheer squad is part of the University and won a National Championship.

We will as a University license our logo to be used by shirt companies who use slogans that make us look like the Barn, but we wont allow the cheerleaders to pay for their own rings with the script A on it.

9jack9

Scout Team
Jan 14, 2007
United States
Ummm....where can I pick up my ring for winning the Suddler Trophy with the MDB in 2003? All we got was a t-shirt and lapel pin.
The Sudler Trophy isn't a National Championship resulting from a competition, it's an award, given by the Sousa Foundation "to a college or university marching band which has demonstrated the highest musical standards and innovative marching routines and ideas, and which has made important contributions to the advancement of the performance standards of college marching bands over a period of years."

The Sudler Trophy isn't a National Championship resulting from a competition, it's an award, given by the Sousa Foundation "to a college or university marching band which has demonstrated the highest musical standards and innovative marching routines and ideas, and which has made important contributions to the advancement of the performance standards of college marching bands over a period of years."
And just because the Universal Cheerleading Association calls an event a National Championship, it doesn't mean it's the same as a National Championship in football, basketball, baseball, gymnastics, soccer, golf, etc.

BoroBama

1st Team
Jun 12, 2008
And just because the Universal Cheerleading Association calls an event a National Championship, it doesn't mean it's the same as a National Championship in football, basketball, baseball, gymnastics, soccer, golf, etc.
How is the UCA different than the BCS? It appears to me they function in the same manner.

lowend

All-SEC
Feb 20, 2005
I'm fully aware of exactly what the award is that we won. I'm also aware of the ample amount of positive coverage we received for it. So, if the cheerleaders want a ring for competing in a national event that is not sanctioned by the Athletic Department, then I want a ring for winning a NATIONAL award that was sanctioned by the Athletic Department through a trophy presentation ceremony at one of the halftimes in 2003......or at least the option to purchase a ring with a script-A on it. (And I really don't want a ring....just trying to show how dumb this whole argument is.)

Good point, although I mildly disagree with it. Who's to say that it's different? It's a skilled activity that requires a great deal of conditioning and athletic achievement, with many similarities to gymnastics and much more exertion than golf.

My view is that when an athletic team wins a championship, their efforts over the course of the year have ADDED money to the athletic department's coffers and it seems like the cheerleaders are wanting something for nothing. I see no reason not to let them use the script-A on rings they purchase though.

Squirrely

All-SEC
Aug 31, 2008
Gainesville FL
Give this Cheer Squad the rings they deserved while representing Bama. I'm sure they worked very hard for this, and then competed in a competition against other University's while winning it all. First thing, it's a shame the University isn't getting them Rings, but it's over the top Alabama wants to prevent them from using the University logo on rings their making for themselves now. What's happening here is just wrong, and I love Bama, but I'm embarrassed by Alabama's action in this case.

Hopefully someone at Bama will see the injustice with this, and uses commen sense while getting them the rings they've earned.

:BigA: ROLL TIDE :BigA:

Last edited:
Ok, so this is the same group who cheers for the football team. I'm sorry, but if they are paying for the rings themselves the UofA should find a vendor to approve to make these rings and charge them a royalty to use the A. Then any other sporting or acedemic group who wins a national championship could purchase a ring. I asked once, but are there REALLY that many different clubs a NC could be won in? If so and they do win then it makes no sense to me not to at least make it possile for them to purchase it on their own. I agree with most of you if you let one group do it then they will all want to, but it's not like it's taking up space at the campus, actully they probably did win a trophy. Where is that being kept? I say they draw the University is right for not paying for the rings, but geez, let them use the script A!!

BTW - I don't have a daughter and was never a cheerleader so don't think I have a dog in this fight. It's just the right thing to do. = )
Well Art, I will back you, I do have a dog in this fight, my daughter, cheers for the biggest high school in the state of Alabama, Bob Jones High School, they have won the last 5 National Championships in Orlando and are going for number 6 in a little over a week. She practices 5-6 days a week, and they are put through rigorous conditioning in the off season, complains all the time about her knees and ankles hurting, yes, it is a sport, it is amazing to watch these kids compete, gymnastics is a sport, and all squads perform a lot of gymnastics in there routines.

And the money that is spent on this is ridiculous, I know we spend anywhere between $5000-10,000 per year for her to compete on the High School, and the other team where she gets her instruction, oh, I forgot to add, she also works there to help offset the cost, so yea she loves it that much, it is a big business, hopefully, she can land a scholorship if she is fortunate enough.

So, yes, I am biased, but like Kentucky, they are bringing National attention to the University, money is being spent, these Bama Cheerleaders go all over helping at these competitions, so yes let them buy a ring, trust me, they earned it!!!!!!!!!!

Thank,
Bama Greg

If you have never been to one, I advise you to take one in, it is amazing at what some of these kids can do.

rizolltizide

Hall of Fame
Jan 4, 2003
st pete, fl
This whole deal is just stupid. They're buying the rings, let them use the script A. And if the trademark is so freaking important, then charge em a dollar for it and be done with it. My god, you can buy a t-shirt with 94 script A's on it for $10. This is such a non issue that it's almost embarassing. Are there no insignia ring companies out there that have already licensed the script A?

Definitely the off season.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
I'M Biased, as a father of a HS cheerleader, I know how much work these kids put into it, and the money it has cost me. Cheer camps, tumbling classes, gymnastics, dance, etc . I know my daughter has a lot more time invested in cheering than my son in football. after cheer practice she goes to one of the other classes until 8 or 9 at night . Has a strict diet and exercise routine and there is no off season , just like football . If you think cheering isn't athletics, than you need to redefine the word in your vocabulary.
The championship was announced on the university AD website, unlike the racquetball championship, which was announced on the club site. as already pointed out, you can get a T-shirt, mug pencil, doggie pooper scooper, almost anything with a UA logo on it, so whats the big deal. It seems there is a resolution, so that is good. but I still believe the AD should recognize their achievement.

teeitup

Scout Team
Aug 13, 2009
Jasper,AL
If one club team were to be given rings, every club team would have to get them. I don't care if they're cheerleaders or not... they are still a club level team participating in a non-NCAA championship event when it comes to competition.
So what if you let ALL the "Clubs" at ALABAMA have championship rings if they win. They are still a representative of the University of Alabama and deserve the same respect as a "NCAA" sport. Just because they are not one of the MAIN sports you are not going to recognize their excellence in that sport? That is not right in anyway and unwanted negative press for UA. Give them the dang ring and say thank you for representing our university in a positive way.

So what if you let ALL the "Clubs" at ALABAMA have championship rings if they win. They are still a representative of the University of Alabama and deserve the same respect as a "NCAA" sport. Just because they are not one of the MAIN sports you are not going to recognize their excellence in that sport? That is not right in anyway and unwanted negative press for UA. Give them the dang ring and say thank you for representing our university in a positive way.
They can be recognized all the want... doesn't mean the University HAS to buy them rings. They've drawn a line with their policy: NCAA and SEC sanctioned sports are awarded rings by the University... everyone else can go through the licensing office to purchase them.

If I was a student, and I won the club level Paper, Rock, Scissor National Championship as a representative from the University of Alabama, I doubt I'd get very far in my request for Alabama to give me a ring.

Lost in TN

1st Team
Sep 20, 2009
Collierville, TN
They can be recognized all the want... doesn't mean the University HAS to buy them rings. They've drawn a line with their policy: NCAA and SEC sanctioned sports are awarded rings by the University... everyone else can go through the licensing office to purchase them.

If I was a student, and I won the club level Paper, Rock, Scissor National Championship as a representative from the University of Alabama, I doubt I'd get very far in my request for Alabama to give me a ring.
:BigA:Real nice. Let's belittle a group of students who worked their rear ends off and beat a dynasty SEC school and demonstrated the highest level of excellence. This group is something in which we should be very proud. Do not use rock, paper, scissors as an equivalent achievement.

Hamilton

Suspended
Dec 5, 2002
Hamilton
bama.ua.edu

Well, no, actually they can't. That's the problem.

MVKTR2

1st Team
May 29, 2008
Just a side note. A big boost/solution to the gender equity issues brought about through Title IX is to recognize cheerleaders as being on athletic scholarships. If this was done it would be feasible to put 25-40 female cheer-types on scholarship to help balance the numbers. Given that they compete in events that are essentially equal to diving, gymnastics, & other 'judged' athletic activities it only makes common sense.

Schlante & Roll Tide,
Phillip

HCT

Aug 31, 2010
If they're buying the rings I think it's silly that the University won't let them use the script A. Trade Mark aside- I find it hard to believe that someone doesn't have the ability to waiver it in this case.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.