SI.com - Julio closing gap on A.J. Green

kayakerjess

All-American
Sep 9, 2005
Colorado
From SI's Peter King:

For most of the off-season, it's been assumed Green was a lock to be the first receiver -- and might even be a candidate to go first overall, to the Carolina Panthers or another team trading up to get him. But then Jones ran two 40-yard dashes at the Scouting Combine in Indianapolis between 4.34 seconds and 4.40 seconds with a slight foot fracture (which I'm told will not threaten his long-term pro career). Teams began putting their sniffers out to discover everything they could about the two players as people. Jones is a safer guy, in terms of work ethic and practice habits, several personnel men have told me.
Julio Jones closing gap on A.J. Green as draft's top wideout

Man, I am loving how Julio is getting more and more attention for all of the work he put in while at Bama. The willingness to be a run blocker and practice at a high level are paying off. The article goes on to say that Julio may be the 4th overall pick to the Bengals. Not sure how likely that is with who they already have at receiver, but it's interesting nonetheless.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I've said for awhile that Julio would be a better NFL receiver than AJ because of work ethic in the fact that he is customed to run blocking and AJ isn't. Julio was known for working hard.

Fact of the matter, though. Neither will be a bust in the NFL.

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
correct that both will have great futures in the NFL, but I'm convinced that JJ has more upside than AJG....
just from his time at Bama, he has shown a lot of grit, great character, team first attitude, and an stellar, rock solid work ethic.

Bottom line: JJ is a solid team guy and has shown that day in and day out from his first practice... I dont think that AJG has demonstrated that to the same level as JJ has.

If I was an NFL owner, and had a few million to spend on a reciever, I sure would look hard at work history before signing my name on a multi-million dollar check.

kayakerjess

All-American
Sep 9, 2005
Colorado
Even while he was at Bama, JJ was the epitome of a professional. He always showed up and gave his all, whether it was practice, off-season workouts, or on game day. Regardless of the assignment, he was willing to do his part, be it as a blocker, decoy, or primary receiver. I assume that is highly sought-after quality for an NFL GM.

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
Even while he was at Bama, JJ was the epitome of a professional. He always showed up and gave his all, whether it was practice, off-season workouts, or on game day. Regardless of the assignment, he was willing to do his part, be it as a blocker, decoy, or primary receiver. I assume that is highly sought-after quality for an NFL GM.
Those intangible qualities shown through three years definitely lessen the risk of a bad investment...which is exactly what a team is making on a draft prospect...

He never appeared to be worried about personal statistics, or the number of catches he got...he was 100 percent a team player. He always worked as hard if not harder than anyone else, even though he was always talked about as a star...it never went to his head. He epitomizes team player to me.

JJ has shown those qualities his entire collegiate career...even playing with pins in his hand, running the 40 at the combine with a fractured foot..that would lessen the risk on investment. and I dont remember any character issues surrounding him either. His slate is pretty much all positive, with tremendous upside...

The draft is a business decision, im not suprised that teams are looking hard at the intangible differences between AJG and JJ....nd I think that JJ's track record along with his combine performance, just might make him the #1 reciever in the draft.

...and yes, JJ reminds me of Ozzie in a lot of ways.

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Naw. We play in the SEC. We've played against a lot of good future pros the last three years. In some conferences our team would have seen one or maybe two true competitors in conference play. In the SEC, you must have a few Julio types just to get in the title race.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I think JJ has closed the gap but the more I've read on the comparisons of these two it appears AJG will still be the first WR off the board and will still be graded higher than JJ. There are two things that keep coming up about JJ in reviews I read. First, he doesn't play as fast as his 4.39 forty time at the combine. Also, at the top and "stem" (have no idea what this term means in football) of his routes he doesn't get good separation where as AJG excels in these areas.

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al
You know, as good as Alabama has been these last three years, is it possible we underachieved?
off topic, but i might say yes. its been a long while since Bama was out-talented by any team it lined up against or even outcoached. Our losses over the last few years have been major dissapointments, usually because of a break here or there or the team just not finishing. So as ridiculous as it sounds, yes.

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
Julio is better than Green anyday.
I totally concurred. forget about wearing Crimson glasses, JJ is the all-around WR that you would want in a franchise player.

you can talk about route running or actual speed until you turn blue in the face, the fact remains that JJ does it all and more.

the young man is physical, strong, plays injured without complaining, tough as heck to bring down.

a total professional that is truly unselfish and the epitome of a team player!!

just in case I forgot, he also returns KOs and punts. Oh yeah, the boy is bad!!

BoscoOFD

BamaNation Citizen
Jul 28, 2010
Orange City, Fl
Both are great players and both will make an impact quickly. I think Julio does more things well and is going to have a longer career.
I also think he has more room for improvement (routes & concentration) and will make that improvement. JULIO WILL BE A FORCE!!!

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
Why an NFL team should draft Julio before AJ:

You can teach a player to run better routes and have better technique at his position.

You can't teach a player to have a better attitude and work ethic.

RJ YellowHammer

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
Memphis, Tn
You know, as good as Alabama has been these last three years, is it possible we underachieved?
Sure it's possible. But draft position is based on potential. Different people fulfill their potential at different times; others never do. Did we underachieve in some games? I think so, but that's not uncommon.

TheAccountant

All-SEC
Mar 22, 2011
Birmingham
Both players make plays when a play absolutely has to be made. I'd naturally go with Julio, but it's a tough decision for a GM. It may come down to nothing more than a coin flip.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.