News Article: Mark Ingram Wins Vote to Become Cover Athlete of NCAA Football 12

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
Mark wont get anything.

Legal Battle for EA and the NCAA Series | ncaaStrategies.com NCAA Football 11 Rosters, Forum and Custom Covers

It's an ongoing legal battle dating back to around 2009 I believe. It was started by players who are washed up/never panned out. Ed O'Bannon (UCLA BBall player) Sam Keller (ASU QB) and Ryan Hart (Rutgers QB)

Not that Mark needs the money form this, he's about to make a ton in other endorsements/contracts. I do tend to agree with the athletes in this case though. Although I don't think money should be awarded retroactively. All the athletes on the covers of these games knew what they were getting into when they signed their LOI's. NCAA gets to use your likeness no matter what. If the rule is changed (and hopefully it will be.) I hope it's only changed going forward.

That said, congrats Mark, I'll definitely be updating to '12.

ElkhartTider

All-American
Jan 13, 2005
Elkhart, Indiana
That is one of the flaws. Another one too...

CJ doesn't have dreads.
Oh yeah.. well that's an easy fix.. haha

Could be that the game is trying to get away from the players looking like the actual person.. or since there are so many in the game they just randomize the appearance for many of the players...

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
That is one of the flaws. Another one too...

CJ doesn't have dreads.
Trent's guns are not near as big as they are in real life either. Congrats Mark. The script A on the gloves is becoming an iconic symbol and hope someone continues Mark's tradition.

theBIGyowski

All-American
Aug 4, 2005
Cumming, GA
Mark wont get anything.

Legal Battle for EA and the NCAA Series | ncaaStrategies.com NCAA Football 11 Rosters, Forum and Custom Covers

It's an ongoing legal battle dating back to around 2009 I believe. It was started by players who are washed up/never panned out. Ed O'Bannon (UCLA BBall player) Sam Keller (ASU QB) and Ryan Hart (Rutgers QB)

Not that Mark needs the money form this, he's about to make a ton in other endorsements/contracts. I do tend to agree with the athletes in this case though. Although I don't think money should be awarded retroactively. All the athletes on the covers of these games knew what they were getting into when they signed their LOI's. NCAA gets to use your likeness no matter what. If the rule is changed (and hopefully it will be.) I hope it's only changed going forward.

That said, congrats Mark, I'll definitely be updating to '12.
I'm pretty sure the cover athlete gets compensated...because it is actually him being featured on the cover...not his likeness used in the game. Also as others have said...they only use players who are no longer eligible to play their sport either because of graduating or declaring to go pro. So it would be my understanding that EA has a contract with MI to have him on the cover.

I assume it works similarly in the NFL. The cover athlete gets a contract for him and the rest of the players in the NFL just get trickle down money via the contract EA has with the NFL. So...two separate contracts. At least that seems how it would work.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
I pretty sure cover athletes get compensated as well. What RedStar linked to has to do with player's likeness being used in the game. Each player is model after their real life counterpart and everybody knows EA does this; they just can't put their names on the jersey. Once the consumer types in the names though, the announcers will now speak the real names, so the names are programmed within the game somewhere.

Cover athletes are different I believe and have contracts with EA. This is why EA always uses someone who is out of college. I'm sure EA would have loved to put Ingram on last year, the year after he won the Heisman, instead of a year removed but couldn't because college athletes can't get paid. If they could use any college player without paying them, I'm sure EA would use a currently hyped star for their cover. If they could get away with it I’m sure EA would love to use someone live TR or some other hyped player for the upcoming season.

Those behind the scenes pics pretty much tell me he is getting paid something. I highly doubt a future NFL player would do a photo shoot and then sign boxes of footballs out of the grace of his heart. I'm not saying he isn't nice enough to offer his services for free but, this is the kind of thing that they get paid to do once they are out of college and go to the NFL. He got paid to do all that and it is why EA can't bring in a current player to do it. Now, what I want to know is what are they doing with those footballs? I want one!

Last edited:

tide96

All-SEC
Oct 4, 2005
Ingram just finished a chat on ESPN. Among the questions:

Logan (MI)

I grew up right around Flint and I was wondering why Alabama and why not Michigan? After all isn't Michigan closer to home?

Mark Ingram (2:01 PM)

Michigan didn't offer me a scholarship. It's that simple.

Another Rich Rod failure...

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
...and now he did a chat on ESPN. See, this all part of some contract he has signed with EA. Photo shoot, sign footballs, do chat, will probably do some more interviews and even a promotional tour closer to the games release. You don't do this kind of stuff for free, not in this day and age.

Love his answer to the above question! Another big thanks to Rich Rod, first for not coming to Bama and now for not offering Ingram a scholy. TY RR!!

I love Ingram; wish he could play for Bama for 4 more years. Whatever NFL team he ends up on, I will become an instant fan; even if it is my hated Dolphins or Cowboys. I haven't bought a Bama jersey in almost a decade but, I got a #22 jersey as a Christmas gift this past year. It is now my favorite piece of Bama clothing I own. Can't wait to get the new game this year with him on the cover! RTR!

Last edited:

cmmiller711

All-American
Nov 24, 2006
Birmingham, AL
What is really wrong about this is that neither he nor Alabama will benefit financially from this.
well, the university gets paid rights to use their logo (on the jersey and on the glove) and mark will get paid to be on the cover. It's the athletes featured IN the game that wont make money.

If you think mark isn't getting paid your crazy. He no longer is under the NCAA, so he gets paid for EVERYTHING now. Autograph signings, commercials, endorsements, whatever.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.