Global Warming: Opinions and Politics

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
It is common knowledge whether you can grasp it or not.

Why would you ever think I'd feel compelled to entertain your trolling and obfuscation?
There are two options:
(1) If you're wrong, man up and admit it.
(2) If you're right, then prove it. Hell, even a name or two of supportive posters would be a start.

If the opinions were as widespread as you suggest, all this dancing on your part has surely wasted far more time than the alternatives above, yes?

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
There are two options:
(2) If you're right, then prove it. Hell, even a name or two of supportive posters would be a start.

If the opinions were as widespread as you suggest, all this dancing on your part has surely wasted far more time than the alternatives above, yes?
Yawn. Again, I am not compelled to do your research for you.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
There are two options:

Since Bodhi seemed to be reluctant to do so, I decided to use the friendly search feature. There is a little bit of a problem. Ethanol as a viable alternative energy source in the U.S. was beginning to be debunked around 5 years ago. The seach feature only brings up a handful of posts from then and only 1 much older than 5 years ago.

However, I do remember when several posters on this board were lauding the possibilities of ethanol in the anti-foreign-oil fight.

[On a personal note, I do think ethanol has some possibilities. However, the only real way the US could benefit is by finding and utilizing a more efficient source. Since sugar is pretty much out of the question, the only source really left is hemp, which happens to be one of, if not the, most efficient sources of ethanol. I don't see that happening in the US any time soon, though.]

Here's one post with nothing concrete, but Bamaro's post seems to indicate that he was at least favorable to ethanol, as opposed to Bodhi who was vehemently opposed to it even then. :) http://www.tidefans.com/forums/non-sports/41829-article-ethanol.html

I don't think the search feature is going back far enough to give us a record of the posts (or posters) who were lauding the pro-ethanol political iniatives as being a huge step in saving us from foreign oil. That doesn't mean they didn't exist. I remember it. I'm sure others do as well. Oh, well.

All is not lost, however. I did find this little gem during my perusal:

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
However, I do remember when several posters on this board were lauding the possibilities of ethanol in the anti-foreign-oil fight.
I don't know. Some people want you to document every bit of knowledge - even common knowledge.

Well, I'm kind of glad the search function only goes back a few years. 'Cause I said some crazy things in the early 2000s. ;)

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
First, thanks for being reasonable.

Second, I would consider that comment to be quite weak if we are trying to argue that there was widespread support for ethanol fuel additives here. It seems you'd agree with that analysis, but are admittedly hamstrung by the search limitations. Fortunately, Bamaro is still around, so he can clear this up if he ventures this deep into the thread.

I asked Bodhi if he could recall any specific posters who supported this, but he could and/or would not. Can you?

wisten

Hall of Fame
Apr 30, 2003
Gulf Shores, AL, USA
I present simple logic and it is avoided like a plague. This thread, in and of itself, is a micro ism of the non-issue at its entirety. Far greater fun to fuss amongst yourselves than to actually learn and (perhaps) gain some small degree of understanding.

Last edited:

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
You are being pretty childish here getting personal. I think you are a pretty good guy most of the time even though I disagree with you, but this..... It is a forum....
My preference is to have an intelligent debate and productive discussion. Charmin's M.O. is to be a troll, and he is treated as such. He wants me to call out people for posts they made years ago. There is no reason for me to do that (since those in question are not involved in this debate), and I don't answer to his whims. He's fully capable of doing his own research since it means so much to him.

Last edited:

gmart74

Hall of Fame
Oct 9, 2005
Baltimore, Md
In fairness to Bodhi, Charmin is both gay and a troll.
actually since charmin is a troll, he might very well just claim to be gay even though he really isnt. i wont believe anything about his sexuality until he posts a pic of him wearing jorts and saluting a rainbow flag... of course then really all that would prove is that he is a former qb of UF.

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
actually since charmin is a troll, he might very well just claim to be gay even though he really isnt. i wont believe anything about his sexuality until he posts a pic of him wearing jorts and saluting a rainbow flag... of course then really all that would prove is that he is a former qb of UF.
Who needs a flag when the jorts have panache?

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
Sheesh! That guy in the daisy dukes is just wrong!

But, let's take a breather from the Charmin / gay jokes

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
A few points.

1) From the limited time we have been recording atmospheric science data (roughly 200 years) we have seen cyclic changes in all facets of weather, from tropical storm systems, temperature fluctuations, and severe storm activity.

2) Geological data points to periods where the entire planet was much warmer and alternatively much cooler than our current climate.

3) We know that activity on the sun has a direct impact on our climate, we don't know the cycles as our reckoning of time is severely limited.

To say that we are the sole cause of global warming/climate change is ridiculous and junk science at best. Sweeping changes have occurred long before our species arose as sentient beings. I personally find it amusing how so many people want to jump on the bandwagon, pass themselves off as experts and then turn around and get offended when exquisitely simple logic is presented.
Nobody really argues that there aren't other factors at play also, there are. However, they tend to show their effects much slower than what we see happening now. These aren't mutually exclusive.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Just another example of government [subtly] influencing the climate change debate:

California Department of Insurance Annual Climate Risk Survey

Mandatory disclosure will depend on the premium amounts reported for the most immediate prior financial reporting year. If an insurer reports over $100,000,000 for 2012, it must complete the survey and submit it on or before August 30, 2013. Insurers in all segments of the industry are required to respond to all eight questions. An insurer may state that a question is not relevant to its business practice, operations or investments. However, if it does so, it must also explain why the question is not relevant.
Survey Questions:

Question One: Does the company have a plan to assess, reduce or mitigate its emissions in its operations or organizations?

Question Two: Does the company have a climate change policy with respect to risk management and investment management? If yes, please summarize. If no, how do you account for climate change in your risk management?

Question Three: Describe your company's process for identifying climate change-related risks and assessing the degree that they could affect your business, including financial implications.

Question Four: Summarize the current or anticipated risks that climate change poses to your company. Explain the ways that these risks could affect your business. Include identification of the geographical areas affected by these risks.

Question Five: Has the company considered the impact of climate change on its investment portfolio? Has it altered its investment strategy in response to these considerations? If so, please summarize steps you have taken.

Question Six: Summarize steps the company has taken to encourage policyholders to reduce the losses caused by climate change-influenced events.

Question Seven: Discuss steps, if any, the company has taken to engage key constituencies on the topic of climate change.

Question Eight: Describe actions the company is taking to manage the risks climate change poses to your business including, in general terms, the use of computer modeling.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.