Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Re: CBSSports.Com Down on Atlanta's Trade to Get Julio

Atlanta gave up too much, no doubt. I think it was a great pick though. The WR core is crazy good - White, Douglass, Jenkins, Gonzalez and Julio. That opens the holes for the RBs.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    Coach Bryant

Rasuputin's response to my question "What benefit do tablets provide students?"
    (In an old southern trailer park redneck beer in hand marlboro light in other and camoflauge cutoff shorts man's voice) If a tablet was good enough for Moses and the 10 Commandments then by god they are good enough for my children in school today!!!!!!!

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame BamainBoston's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by jps1983 View Post
    As previously mentioned, they really only "gave up" 4 players and exchanged first round picks.

Two of those 4 picks are 4th round guys; teams can find a diamond in the rough on occasion, but these guys are normally guys that are added depth and not impact players. Free agency is another way to fill spots with these "filler" type players (especially this year since a lot of trades/free agency stuff will happen after the draft). I do think giving up a 2nd and 1st is a bit much in addition; maybe should've been just one of those, but the Falcons have a solid team, so they don't have many holes to fill. If it was a bad team trading all those picks (a la the Saints for Ricky), then I'd say it's terrible, but a solid team doing it isn't as bad even though it was a little much.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
    Whether its four or five picks it was an awful 'lot to give up. But let's be honest. Atlanta doesn't exactly have the same prowess of picking star players out of the middle to late rounds like the Pats and Belichick.
    Not sure I agree with this part. In 2008 they took:

2nd round: Curtis Lofton
    3rd: Harry Douglas, Chevis Jackson, Thomas DeCoud
    5th: Robert James, Kroy Bierman

All of those except for Robert James have been big contributors the past couple years. For the Pats it's more of a numbers game than being great at it - they stockpile so many non-first round picks that it's only natural that they would find more hidden gems than other teams.

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Putting my Crimson-colored glasses on I must applaud the Falcons for this move. I mean, they saw what they wanted and did everything they could do to get it. They went for quality and were very selective of a franchise type player. They got that and more in selecting Julio Jones. We have been spoiled by having him the past few years but next season we are going to see how much Julio really brought to the table for us. All I can say is the big boss in Atlanta has a solid team now because he is a savvy businessman. He just made his team a lot better and picked up a few fans from Alabama in the process. I'm one of them.
    "Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present."

Oogway, Kung Fu Panda

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by ccc2259 View Post
    Falcons paid too much for Jones - CBSSports.com

I can't wait to see JJ make them eat their words
    I admit I look at this thru crimson colored glasses, but IMO, the combination of Matt Ryan, JJ, other Falcon receivers, and their existing running game, all combine to put JJ in the spotlight on a successful team.
    "Bryant can take his'n and beat your'n, and then he can turn around and take your'n and beat his'n." -- Houston Oiler head coach Bum Phillips, a former player under Coach Bryant

BamaNation All-American Skeeterpop's Avatar
    My Mood
    Daring on TideFans.com

I don't care if you are the best WR evaluator in the pros or the biggest Bama fan. Anyone, who thinks that Julio does not have elite hands is completly lost! Go back and watch every game he played and look at his drops. Every single one of them you can see him turn his head and start moving up field before the ball gets to his hands. This is simply a young kid getting excited and in a hurry to make a big play and forget to catch the ball first. How many times have you seen Julio drop a ball in which he should have caught while in the air or falling down? I will say.. zero.. Because at that point he only has one thing to do and that's catch the ball. You can fault him for getting in a hurry and playing too fast without the ball, but you are crazy if you say he has poor hands..

PS.. Did Julio fumble ever during college?? I can't remember one..

BamaNation Second Team

While I did say that I think 4 picks is a little bit too much for the trade I have to qualify that. I do believe that if Atlanta had not given up the 1st round pick next year the trade would have been very even. I know without that pick the trade would have probably never been completed. I also understand they will probably pick late in the 1st round next year. However, that pick could be another cornerstone for the franchise.

My Mood
    Woot on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by ccc2259 View Post
    I admit I look at this thru crimson colored glasses, but IMO, the combination of Matt Ryan, JJ, other Falcon receivers, and their existing running game, all combine to put JJ in the spotlight on a successful team.
    i agree i think JJ will complement their team well, but I think their defense is a question mark..

My Mood
    Woot on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bamapepper73 View Post
    I don't care if you are the best WR evaluator in the pros or the biggest Bama fan. Anyone, who thinks that Julio does not have elite hands is completly lost! Go back and watch every game he played and look at his drops. Every single one of them you can see him turn his head and start moving up field before the ball gets to his hands. This is simply a young kid getting excited and in a hurry to make a big play and forget to catch the ball first. How many times have you seen Julio drop a ball in which he should have caught while in the air or falling down? I will say.. zero.. Because at that point he only has one thing to do and that's catch the ball. You can fault him for getting in a hurry and playing too fast without the ball, but you are crazy if you say he has poor hands..

PS.. Did Julio fumble ever during college?? I can't remember one..
    Good point, I don't remember one time at all, you know along with that and his physical ability he's one fine player. I think that is what Atlanta management sees.. all it would take is to see him and that play in Baton Rouge where he carried the LSU players half way down the field to convince them. RTR

BamaNation All-American 2003TIDE's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
    Atlanta now has the potential to have an uncoverable passing game. Good lord you've got White, Jones, Gonzales coupled with their power running game. That is an awful 'lot of fire power.
    Their problem is on defense. I think that is why a lot of fans are man. Let's be honest, that's an awful lot to give up for a WR in the draft when everyone and their brother knows you need defense.

I think JJ will do fine in the NFL, but the Falcons did a poor job addressing their needs on the first day of the draft.

BamaNation All-American 2003TIDE's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

And let me add this, adding one WR isn't going to make the Falcons some unstoppable passing offense. It's just not their philosophy. They are a run based offense that likes to gind you down.

I'm so glad that the Falcons went for JJ but they are paying a big price for him. They gave up a 4-3 DL with the amount of picks they gave up to put it into perspective. That's a lot of players to give up for a number 2 WR behind White. Also, if you remember how the game went against Green Bay in the playoffs they lost 48 to 24. 48 points in their home and they gave up 4 picks for a WR. That's definitely risky but I know JJ will do very well with Matty Ice

BamaNation Hall of Fame TommyMac's Avatar
    My Mood
    Happy on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by 2003TIDE View Post
    And let me add this, adding one WR isn't going to make the Falcons some unstoppable passing offense. It's just not their philosophy. They are a run based offense that likes to gind you down.
    All the more reason to love JJ, his blocking will help their running game too,
    "I'm just a simple plowhand from Arkansas, but I've learned over the years how to hold a team together, how to lift some men up, how to calm others down, until finally they've got one heartbeat, together, a team."

Coach Bryant