CBSSports.Com Down on Atlanta's Trade to Get Julio

cindym

All-SEC
Oct 14, 2009
saraland, al
I don't care if you are the best WR evaluator in the pros or the biggest Bama fan. Anyone, who thinks that Julio does not have elite hands is completly lost! Go back and watch every game he played and look at his drops. Every single one of them you can see him turn his head and start moving up field before the ball gets to his hands. This is simply a young kid getting excited and in a hurry to make a big play and forget to catch the ball first. How many times have you seen Julio drop a ball in which he should have caught while in the air or falling down? I will say.. zero.. Because at that point he only has one thing to do and that's catch the ball. You can fault him for getting in a hurry and playing too fast without the ball, but you are crazy if you say he has poor hands..

PS.. Did Julio fumble ever during college?? I can't remember one..
Good point, I don't remember one time at all, you know along with that and his physical ability he's one fine player. I think that is what Atlanta management sees.. all it would take is to see him and that play in Baton Rouge where he carried the LSU players half way down the field to convince them. RTR;)

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
Atlanta now has the potential to have an uncoverable passing game. Good lord you've got White, Jones, Gonzales coupled with their power running game. That is an awful 'lot of fire power.
Their problem is on defense. I think that is why a lot of fans are man. Let's be honest, that's an awful lot to give up for a WR in the draft when everyone and their brother knows you need defense.

I think JJ will do fine in the NFL, but the Falcons did a poor job addressing their needs on the first day of the draft.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
And let me add this, adding one WR isn't going to make the Falcons some unstoppable passing offense. It's just not their philosophy. They are a run based offense that likes to gind you down.

DurdenTider

All-SEC
Jan 3, 2011
Mobile, AL
I'm so glad that the Falcons went for JJ but they are paying a big price for him. They gave up a 4-3 DL with the amount of picks they gave up to put it into perspective. That's a lot of players to give up for a number 2 WR behind White. Also, if you remember how the game went against Green Bay in the playoffs they lost 48 to 24. 48 points in their home and they gave up 4 picks for a WR. That's definitely risky but I know JJ will do very well with Matty Ice

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
Gave up a lot, yes. Too much? That remains to be seen. Ok, they gave up four draft picks, 2 of which come in the bottom half of the draft. Draft picks are nice, but they are hardly a guarantee of a good player or even a big contributor, especially in the later rounds.

I can't wait to see Julio in a Falcon uniform.

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008
And let me add this, adding one WR isn't going to make the Falcons some unstoppable passing offense. It's just not their philosophy. They are a run based offense that likes to gind you down.

Nothing says it has to make them unstoppable.. Only unbeatable. Sounds like another team I have seen before. The 2009 Tide was a run based offense. Do you think we would have won the NC if you removed Julio from the team that year?

I don't.. One player can make all the difference in a elite team.

Last edited:

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
Do you think we would have won the NC if you removed Julio from the team that year?
Maybe. Our defense was more of a contributing factor that year. I'm not saying Julio didn't help, but I think it was more on our defense. BTW the Falcons offense never was the problem. Last I checked Matt Ryan, Roddy White, and Michael Turner didn't give up 48 to the Packers.

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
Maybe. Our defense was more of a contributing factor that year. I'm not saying Julio didn't help, but I think it was more on our defense. BTW the Falcons offense never was the problem. Last I checked Matt Ryan, Roddy White, and Michael Turner didn't give up 48 to the Packers.
We for sure lose against the barn that year with out Julio he made most of the big plays on that final drive. Another reason this may be a good pick it will put Bama fans in the seats. Not to mention Julio is not a diva and we all know he is going to out work almost every guy on their team and he is a high character guy. I have never been to a falcon's game but I will be going to at least one next year.

BAMAFAN IN NY

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2007
Watertown, NY
www.myspace.com
You know how they say defense wins championships? Thats not true anymore in the NFL. If it were then teams like the Jets, and the Ravens would be winning Superbowls. Or the 49ers would be winning more games. QBs win championships in the NFL. And they need people to throw the ball to.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I'm a Falcons fan of 30-plus years. In general I think poorly of these trades but I think this was right. Atlanta was 13-3 in the toughest division in the NFL. They must figure JJ is the over the top guy. And Cleveland hasn't done any better than Atlanta when they've hit a great trade, either. I think it was the right move if the win it all soon.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
What people forget is that they have an entire year to juggle their draft and obtain picks, if they need to. The pick that the Falcons originally had ended up being for Jonathan Baldwin (Pitt) picked by the Chiefs from the Browns. I think that if you don't have many holes on your team and you want an elite Talent -- you go get it.

It's not like the Lions did it, or the Browns -- it was Atlanta (13-3 last year)......

Plus to someone's point earlier -- Free Agency can get you fillers for those positions, if you want to......

I like the trade -- and happy he landed with a top team.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
Julio's already starting to do his part in the community. Here's a picture of him just a minute ago in NY with the NFL's Play 60 campaign. (that's Dwayne Bowe to his right)

And here's a pic of Julio soaking in some knowledge from Dwayne Bowe.

Last edited:

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
i'm a Falcon fan also. While i'll enjoy watching Julio, from a team standpoint i dont know why they didnt go defense. Thats the huge issue with the team. There were so many great defensive picks they could have used. I'm a bit baffled to be honest.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
Just paid Dunta Robinson a boatload of money last year. He got hurt on that infamous collision with Desean Jackson. He's good. Your linebackers are solid with Lofton leading the way. And they did pick up Akeem Dent from UGA in round 3, which I think is a solid pick. Abraham IS getting a little long in the tooth, but here's the thing with that defense. It was good enough to get ATL to 13-3 last season. 13-3!! This is coming from a 49er fan. A team who was so used to having those 13-3 seasons that we fired a coach and blew a team up after a 10 win season!! And we haven't been back to the playoffs in nearly 10 years. You've got a good thing in ATL right now. Definitely need to draft a TE to sit under and soak up as much knowledge as possible from Gonzalez this year (which will most likely be his last). Mike Smith is a defensive guy. He can get his guys who are already on the roster to play big time minutes.

i'm a Falcon fan also. While i'll enjoy watching Julio, from a team standpoint i dont know why they didnt go defense. Thats the huge issue with the team. There were so many great defensive picks they could have used. I'm a bit baffled to be honest.

Last edited:

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Just paid Dunta Robinson a boatload of money last year. He got hurt on that infamous collision with Desean Jackson. He's good. Your linebackers are solid with Lofton leading the way. Abraham IS getting a little long in the tooth, but here's the thing with that defense. It was good enough to get ATL to 13-3 last season. 13-3!! This is coming from a 49er fan. A team who was so used to having those 13-3 seasons that we fired a coach and blew a team up after a 10 win season!! And we haven't been back to the playoffs in nearly 10 years. You've got a good thing in ATL right now. Definitely need to draft a TE to sit under and soak up as much knowledge as possible from Gonzalez this year (which will most likely be his last). Mike Smith is a defensive guy. He can get his guys who are already on the roster to play big time minutes.
The funny thing is that Julio is really a Tight-End sized SE with 4.4 speed -- impressive

Black Warrior

Suspended
Mar 30, 2010
Whether its four or five picks it was an awful 'lot to give up. But let's be honest. Atlanta doesn't exactly have the same prowess of picking star players out of the middle to late rounds like the Pats and Belichick. So from that standpoint the trade isn't really that bad. Atlanta now has the potential to have an uncoverable passing game. Good lord you've got White, Jones, Gonzales coupled with their power running game. That is an awful 'lot of fire power.
Good points and this is why Julio will succeed at the next level. He won't be the only go to guy on the team. There are half a dozen guys the D has to watch out for and he's gonna be open quite a bit of the time. What are Ds gonna do, double julio and leave Gonzales or White open? I don't think so. Julio can beat almost anyone one on one.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
I'm gonna half agree with that. Much of the Patriots success in the draft came when Thomas Dimitroff (who's now in Atlanta) and Scott Pioli (who's now in Kansas City) were there. It's not coincidence that those two teams were two of the most improved teams last year. They build through the draft, especially KC. They're like an SEC all-star team.

Whether its four or five picks it was an awful 'lot to give up. But let's be honest. Atlanta doesn't exactly have the same prowess of picking star players out of the middle to late rounds like the Pats and Belichick. So from that standpoint the trade isn't really that bad. Atlanta now has the potential to have an uncoverable passing game. Good lord you've got White, Jones, Gonzales coupled with their power running game. That is an awful 'lot of fire power.

mulletover

All-SEC
Dec 1, 2009
Cullman Alabama
Does anyone think the Falcons will sell more tickets? I mean Bama fans are crazy about Julio. The allure of Julio on the roster could sell more tickets. I hope Falcon fans continue the JUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUULIO chant after the catch. I think Denver had the same attraction to Tim Tebow and what he would do for ticket sales and media attention. JMO

I think Atlanta gave up the picks thinking they could plug holes with free agents and get the players they need that way. I hope Julio produces lots of TD's for The Falcons.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.