CBSSports.Com Down on Atlanta's Trade to Get Julio

Ratal

3rd Team
Aug 29, 2006
A lot of people are saying that Atlanta gave up 5 picks to take Julio. That isn't correct. Atlanta gave up 4 picks. They also switched 1st rounds picks this year with Cleveland. With that being said, I do think that Atlanta reached and gave up a little more than they should have. I agree with RedStart. There are very few players that are worth giving up 4 players. With that being said, I do believe Julio can be a special player in the NFL.

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
As previously mentioned, they really only "gave up" 4 players and exchanged first round picks.

Two of those 4 picks are 4th round guys; teams can find a diamond in the rough on occasion, but these guys are normally guys that are added depth and not impact players. Free agency is another way to fill spots with these "filler" type players (especially this year since a lot of trades/free agency stuff will happen after the draft). I do think giving up a 2nd and 1st is a bit much in addition; maybe should've been just one of those, but the Falcons have a solid team, so they don't have many holes to fill. If it was a bad team trading all those picks (a la the Saints for Ricky), then I'd say it's terrible, but a solid team doing it isn't as bad even though it was a little much.

Probius

Hall of Fame
Mar 19, 2004
Birmingham, Alabama
Julio will be a great player at the next level, but Atlanta gave up an awful lot to get him. What is important isn't so much how good your players are, as it is how many good players you have. Depth is the key in football.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Whether its four or five picks it was an awful 'lot to give up. But let's be honest. Atlanta doesn't exactly have the same prowess of picking star players out of the middle to late rounds like the Pats and Belichick. So from that standpoint the trade isn't really that bad. Atlanta now has the potential to have an uncoverable passing game. Good lord you've got White, Jones, Gonzales coupled with their power running game. That is an awful 'lot of fire power.

REBELZED

All-American
Dec 6, 2006
Atlanta now has the potential to have an uncoverable passing game. Good lord you've got White, Jones, Gonzales coupled with their power running game. That is an awful 'lot of fire power.
No kidding. ATL's offense will be fun to watch this year (assuming there's a season). Helps that I'm close to ATL, maybe I can actually become a fan of an NFL team now :)

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
It just depends. On paper, it doesn't look like a good idea. But, if they felt better about Julio than anyone, better to get someone you feel confident about than 5 guys you don't.
Better to invest $1,000 in a company you are near certain will grow than to put $5,000 in companies you are not confident in... Not a rock solid analogy, but the best I can think of right now...
The proof is in the pudding. We'll see.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I agree it was too much to give up and I hope Julio plays his game and does not let the pressure of the talking heads get to him. Just go do your thing Julio. Reminds me somewhat of what Dallas did with Herschel Walker and New Orleans did with Ricky Williams.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Atlanta gave up too much, no doubt. I think it was a great pick though. The WR core is crazy good - White, Douglass, Jenkins, Gonzalez and Julio. That opens the holes for the RBs.

bamaslaw

All-SEC
Jan 16, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Whether its four or five picks it was an awful 'lot to give up. But let's be honest. Atlanta doesn't exactly have the same prowess of picking star players out of the middle to late rounds like the Pats and Belichick.
Not sure I agree with this part. In 2008 they took:

2nd round: Curtis Lofton
3rd: Harry Douglas, Chevis Jackson, Thomas DeCoud
5th: Robert James, Kroy Bierman

All of those except for Robert James have been big contributors the past couple years. For the Pats it's more of a numbers game than being great at it - they stockpile so many non-first round picks that it's only natural that they would find more hidden gems than other teams.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Putting my Crimson-colored glasses on I must applaud the Falcons for this move. I mean, they saw what they wanted and did everything they could do to get it. They went for quality and were very selective of a franchise type player. They got that and more in selecting Julio Jones. We have been spoiled by having him the past few years but next season we are going to see how much Julio really brought to the table for us. All I can say is the big boss in Atlanta has a solid team now because he is a savvy businessman. He just made his team a lot better and picked up a few fans from Alabama in the process. I'm one of them.

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008
I don't care if you are the best WR evaluator in the pros or the biggest Bama fan. Anyone, who thinks that Julio does not have elite hands is completly lost! Go back and watch every game he played and look at his drops. Every single one of them you can see him turn his head and start moving up field before the ball gets to his hands. This is simply a young kid getting excited and in a hurry to make a big play and forget to catch the ball first. How many times have you seen Julio drop a ball in which he should have caught while in the air or falling down? I will say.. zero.. Because at that point he only has one thing to do and that's catch the ball. You can fault him for getting in a hurry and playing too fast without the ball, but you are crazy if you say he has poor hands..

PS.. Did Julio fumble ever during college?? I can't remember one..

Ratal

3rd Team
Aug 29, 2006
While I did say that I think 4 picks is a little bit too much for the trade I have to qualify that. I do believe that if Atlanta had not given up the 1st round pick next year the trade would have been very even. I know without that pick the trade would have probably never been completed. I also understand they will probably pick late in the 1st round next year. However, that pick could be another cornerstone for the franchise.

cindym

All-SEC
Oct 14, 2009
saraland, al
I admit I look at this thru crimson colored glasses, but IMO, the combination of Matt Ryan, JJ, other Falcon receivers, and their existing running game, all combine to put JJ in the spotlight on a successful team.
i agree i think JJ will complement their team well, but I think their defense is a question mark..

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.