Any George R R Martin fans?

SavannahDare

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Gulf Breeze, Florida
This is the first of the series that A Game of Thrones is based on, correct?

I'm watching the HBO series and, while I enjoy it, I find myself frustrated by how much back-story is unknown to me. They try to fill the viewer in, but it seems to come at such a rapid-fire pace that a lot of it is lost on me.

I'm on a bit of a Truman Capote kick right now, but once it's run its course, I may have to start this series of books.

mbl4bama

BamaNation Citizen
Aug 12, 2006
Game of Thrones is the title of the first book. The show is actually following the book well, but there is a lot of info that's left out. The books are all 800 pages give or take some so obviously they can't fit it all in. Definitely recommend the books if you like the show.

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk

Dondarrion

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 23, 2007
T-Town
very good books. just prepare to be frustrated by the lack of progress for the next book because martin travels to conventions and signings alot.

the series follows the books as good as can be expected. the vague backstory is part of the mystery of the series. you get bits and pieces at time goes on but it will take several books before you can begin to hypothisis about what is taking place.

good luck.

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
This is the first of the series that A Game of Thrones is based on, correct?

I'm watching the HBO series and, while I enjoy it, I find myself frustrated by how much back-story is unknown to me. They try to fill the viewer in, but it seems to come at such a rapid-fire pace that a lot of it is lost on me.

I'm on a bit of a Truman Capote kick right now, but once it's run its course, I may have to start this series of books.
How's the HBO series going? Still enjoying it? Have you heard if they will do a series on the subsequent books?

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
very good books. just prepare to be frustrated by the lack of progress for the next book because martin travels to conventions and signings alot.

the series follows the books as good as can be expected. the vague backstory is part of the mystery of the series. you get bits and pieces at time goes on but it will take several books before you can begin to hypothisis about what is taking place.

good luck.
Good info. Thanks. I just got the existing four books in the series delivered from Amazon, but I have a couple of other books ahead of them in the queue. Looking forward to it.

mbl4bama

BamaNation Citizen
Aug 12, 2006
How's the HBO series going? Still enjoying it? Have you heard if they will do a series on the subsequent books?
They've picked up the show for a 2nd season already, and I think I heard each season will cover the next book in the series.

SavannahDare

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Gulf Breeze, Florida
I really like it! Like I said, there are character connections and back story that elude me, but they're throwing in bits and pieces each week and I read the Wikipedia article on the books so I could get a clue to give me a sense of orientation. I'm glad we'll get at least another season.

They've picked up the show for a 2nd season already, and I think I heard each season will cover the next book in the series.
This is great! I always get frustrated with HBO because they tend to end series too early for my liking. They ended Deadwood and Rome far too early for me. Hopefully we'll get at least four seasons out of Game of Thrones.

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
I really like it! Like I said, there are character connections and back story that elude me, but they're throwing in bits and pieces each week and I read the Wikipedia article on the books so I could get a clue to give me a sense of orientation. I'm glad we'll get at least another season.
So, you were one of the kids in high school literature class who only read the Cliff Notes, right? Cheater! ;)

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001

Cool. Well, I'm anticipating it being cool, as I haven't read the books or seen the HBO production yet. I think I'm prematurely emotionally invested in these books. ;)

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Sorry I didn't find this thread sooner.

I started watching the HBO series and was immediately hooked.
I bought the first book, and read it over the course of a few weeks.
I was actually in a bookstore waiting for some work to be done on my car when I finished it, and I immediately bought the second, third, and fourth books. I read the second book over Memorial Day weekend, and I'm over halfway through the third, and looking forward to reading some during lunch today.

Get them, read them, love them. You won't be disappointed.

One thing that takes some getting used to is that the young characters in this world seem a lot older than their nominal ages. Characters in their low to mid teens are mature, influential, and serious, and are taken seriously by the world.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Got it in the mail yesterday. I just started book 3. Really enjoying the series.
One thing to realize is that #4 and #5 take place over roughly the same span of time, but follow different characters.
Characters which were absent or glossed over in #4 take the limelight in #5. Can be sort of disappointing if you're really attached to a character and you're reading a whole book without them, but it's interesting to speculate on what could be happening to them.

RKel32

All-SEC
Nov 17, 2004
Madison, AL
Just started A Game of Thrones a few weeks ago (work has slowed me mowing through it like I'd like to). Really loving it so far. I thought about watching episodes of the series as I went along, but I think I'm going to wait until I finish the first book then just plow through the first season.

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
One thing to realize is that #4 and #5 take place over roughly the same span of time, but follow different characters.
Characters which were absent or glossed over in #4 take the limelight in #5. Can be sort of disappointing if you're really attached to a character and you're reading a whole book without them, but it's interesting to speculate on what could be happening to them.
I'm about 2/3 done with Book 5 - just starting to get into the "new" timeline. The parallel timelines of Books 4 & 5 are annoying, IMO. A character that supposedly dies in Book 4 is alive in Book 5 (yeah, he survived!) only to then die as originally written because of the reset timeline. Eh, I guess it's no big deal, but I would have preferred he kept moving chronologically and made each book with all the characters and half as long time-wise.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.