2013 WR Earnest Robinson Signs With Auburn, Fails to Qualify

CapstoneGrad06

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2006
Houston, Texas
Re: 2013 WR Earnest Robinson Update

spliting hairs are we?
No, there's a pretty massive difference. A tall, physical WR is what Alabama was missing on offense in 2011. It's nice to have height advantages on smaller DBs, but the more elite SEC teams have great corners that can jam successfully at the line of scrimmage. A bigger presence at WR, in both height and girth can off-set that in many ways. Unfortunately they don't grow on trees and every taller WR you sign doesn't necessarily grow into his body.

DurdenTider

All-SEC
Jan 3, 2011
Mobile, AL

Well I know that as of last month he was still pretty high on UA's board and the fact that UA backed off for whatever reason does mean that they didn't miss much but to say that a 4* recruit in your state that goes to your rival that you offered wasn't a miss even to the smallest degree is stretching some. It's not a bad thing that UA missed on some recruits. It happens every single year but CNS knows how to work the process. I didn't mean that every offer that doesn't come to your school is a miss b/c UA does offer hundreds but if we're in his top 3 (we were in his top 2) and he's that close to the campus it does feel like somewhat of a miss. No big deal though b/c we'll just put more of a press on Fulwood

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.

It's a long time until signing day. Hopefully Michael Bowman will get his act together, the kid is loaded with talent, just needs to grow up.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

It's a long time until signing day. Hopefully Michael Bowman will get his act together, the kid is loaded with talent, just needs to grow up.
I think the ship has probably sailed with Bowman. If I remember correctly, he didn't even make the trip to NOLA for the BCSCG, which means he's back in the doghouse.

I'm sure someone can clarify for me, but if he was in the Dome I must have missed him.

DurdenTider

All-SEC
Jan 3, 2011
Mobile, AL

If we're worried about a physical WR, you can look at Carter and Williams and get that I believe. Carter loves to block and get physical with DBs and Williams coming from the defensive side of the ball, you know he's not afraid to get physical.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

No, there's a pretty massive difference. A tall, physical WR is what Alabama was missing on offense in 2011. It's nice to have height advantages on smaller DBs, but the more elite SEC teams have great corners that can jam successfully at the line of scrimmage. A bigger presence at WR, in both height and girth can off-set that in many ways. Unfortunately they don't grow on trees and every taller WR you sign doesn't necessarily grow into his body.
Bingo. Big (pardon the pun) difference between the big, physical receivers and the lanky, lean guys.

It's nice to have the long frame to throw to, but those tall receivers with no real bulk really don't provide you any value as a possession guy in the short-to-intermediate game. How many times did we hit Earl Alexander on a quick slant in his four years? Exactly. You also don't get the same added benefit in the running game either.

Again, though, it is what it is at this point. We had a problem area and we've spent a lot of scholarships in hopes of rectifying it. Let's just hope these guys pan out.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Story

One Auburn commit told AuburnSports.com that he has already begun hearing negative recruiting pitches from rival schools, including Alabama.

Pinson Valley wide receiver Earnest Robinson, who committed to Auburn in February and is the No. 13 player on al.com's A-List, told AuburnSports' Justin Hokanson that coaches from other schools have begun picking up their recruitment of him in the last week following Auburn's loss to Mississippi State.

"Everything has been going good, but it gets out of hand sometimes, all the coaches that are calling me," Robinson said. "Auburn has lost a couple of games and coaches start calling me and telling me, 'don't go to Auburn'."

Robinson specifically mentioned Alabama assistant Mike Groh, who the elite receiver said focused more on Auburn than on Alabama during a recent phone conversation.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

doubtful.....that's not how Groh rolls.
Oh I'm not believing the article at all. Wonder if Justin Hokanson will report the day that Trooper Taylor showed up to catch up with Earnest but didn't find Earnest in the weight room with the rest of the team because he was the house chilling.

bonehouse81

All-SEC
Jun 30, 2006
Clarksville, TN

I'm not saying the kid's not telling the truth, but it's strange how Auburn is constantly negative about Alabama to recruits (honestly, they almost have to be), but that gets almost no attention.

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed

This is full of crap. Don't believe one second what the kid said. Won't bashed because we all know who is behind this, Robinson is merely the puppet.

BamaFanatJSU

1st Team
Apr 24, 2008
Rainbow City, AL

One Auburn commit told AuburnSports.com that he has already begun hearing negative recruiting pitches from rival schools, including Alabama.
Good grief. Would coaches really even have to resort to negative pitches in regards to Auburn? They suck enough on their own merit.

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al

telling the truth isn't negative recruiting. AU sucks and will keep sucking with its current staff, not negative just stating a fact. There's no lie or distortion of the facts. AU's best WR during the Chiz era didnt get drafted, didnt get a degree and is probably cleaning the friers at a burger king right now.

Trobinson97

All-SEC
Sep 4, 2008

I'm not saying the kid's not telling the truth, but it's strange how Auburn is constantly negative about Alabama to recruits (honestly, they almost have to be), but that gets almost no attention.

Ha, I am.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover

telling the truth isn't negative recruiting. AU sucks and will keep sucking with its current staff, not negative just stating a fact. There's no lie or distortion of the facts. AU's best WR during the Chiz era didnt get drafted, didnt get a degree and is probably cleaning the friers at a burger king right now.
Nice post...nothing can hurt barney worse than the truth. :cool:

Denisevi4

3rd Team
Aug 9, 2006

Robinson specifically mentioned Alabama assistant Mike Groh, who the elite receiver said focused more on Auburn than on Alabama during a recent phone conversation.
Even if he's telling the truth, isn't it ironic? He just had to mention Alabama. So, who's focused on what again?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.