2013 WR Earnest Robinson Signs With Auburn, Fails to Qualify

BEATtutorsee

Hall of Fame
Mar 14, 2006
Re: 2013 WR Earnest Robinson Update

He'll be one of the top players in the state next year, and one of the top WRs in the SE (and nation for that matter).

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

I really enjoyed the coach yelling in the background for that video. Pretty funny.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Jay G. Tate had a bit in the Montgomery Advertiser this morning saying Earnest committed to Auburn. I'm on my phone so I can't link anything.

buzzincuzzin

All-American
Jan 8, 2006

Given about 1/3 of a class just doesn't pan out one way or another,, where will this practice leave a program five years down the road? That's 35-40 out of an 85 man "roster":eek:.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

Another deal with the alleged four-year scholarship. I believe we'll be headed that way shortly, like it or not.

Either way, kind of been trending this way with Robinson. We've seen a lot of talk in recent weeks about recruiting other big wide receivers, so you could kind of see where this was heading.

Tide Warrior

All-American
Jun 7, 2009
Asheville, NC-Chapel Hill, NC

Given about 1/3 of a class just doesn't pan out one way or another,, where will this practice leave a program five years down the road? That's 35-40 out of an 85 man "roster":eek:.
Four year scholarships are just window dressing and nothing more. If a players violates a team or school rule, which seems to happen alot across these programs, they will void any scholarship they have. Also players that transfer do so because they want more playing time and once they leave their scholarship will no longer count against the school. The same goes for any player going on a medical scholarship, they will no longer count against the 85 number. You may have every few years a player refusing to give up his scholarship, but I am sure the coaches can make it tough for him come practice time, because to keep it, even though he does not see the field, means he still has to show up and practice.

Again I see it as window dressing and nothing more.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Auburn spewed the talk about Taylor and Philon. If Bama will be in fights with Auburn for recruits, they're going to continue to spew that crap. Recruits need to talk to TJ Yeldon about one of his reasons for switching to Bama and how Auburn was promising him things at the cost of a current player.

bamahippie

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2000
Cullman, AL

Auburn spewed the talk about Taylor and Philon. If Bama will be in fights with Auburn for recruits, they're going to continue to spew that crap. Recruits need to talk to TJ Yeldon about one of his reasons for switching to Bama and how Auburn was promising him things at the cost of a current player.
Just for fun, a recruit should ask why *U didn't take Taylor and Philon, since they swung and missed more than Reggie Jackson on and after signing day.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

on 247 sports, Robinson is listed at 6'1. on Rivals, he is listed at 6'3. interesting.
Those are pretty common splits, especially this early. You have to keep in mind a lot of those measurements come from newspaper articles, old combine weigh-ins, etc. It's not an accurate, detailed process by any stretch of the imagination.

That said, Robinson is a big kid. 6'3 might be a tad bit of a stretch, but he's really close to it at the very least. He's definitely big enough to stand out in a crowd.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

I'm trying to remember when schollies went from four years to being one year renewable. It's not one of Coach Bryant's better-known quotes, and it's about as blunt as his sportswriters quote, but it went something like this - "Doctors can bury their mistakes; I have to feed mine for four years." The assumption back then was scholarships were always for four years. I don't know if that were just custom or if there was a change in the NCAA rules sometime...

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

I'm trying to remember when schollies went from four years to being one year renewable. It's not one of Coach Bryant's better-known quotes, and it's about as blunt as his sportswriters quote, but it went something like this - "Doctors can bury their mistakes; I have to feed mine for four years." The assumption back then was scholarships were always for four years. I don't know if that were just custom or if there was a change in the NCAA rules sometime...
This may be the CRS Syndrome talking, but...

As best I recall you started to see a lot of the one-year deals in the late 1970's and early 1980's. Back when Bryant first started there were no meaningful scholarship limits, so you could have a small army on scholarship. With "bad" kids -- whether they were involved with off-field troubles, poor grades, or whatever -- schools didn't really have much of an incentive to cut bait. You might as well just stick out the bad times, hope the kid matured and then maybe by the time his junior or senior year rolled around he could be a meaningful contributor.

The cost of attendance was much lower then as well -- the rise in the cost of attendance for college has outpaced the rate of inflation for decades -- and that helped out a lot as well because schools weren't quite so out-of-pocket paying a kid's ride. That was never a big consideration for 'Bama because we had a lot of money in the football program, but that was a consideration for some of the more fiscally-limited schools, which at the time involved many SEC programs (Auburn, MSU, etc.).

As I recall it from when I was real little, the bigger problem we had back in the early 70's (and even going back into the 60's) was actually kids voluntarily leaving on their own and just giving up school and football all together.

Back then the appeal of pro football wasn't anywhere near as big because the money was fractional compared to today, players didn't have the same top-shelf set-up they've got now, and unlike things are today, back then a young, fit, athletic male could go out into the workforce and get a pretty good-paying, blue-collar job that offered a decent wage with some benefits. You just don't see any of that these days. Now, players are treated like kings, there are no real economic alternatives for them, and the NFL payday lottery is such that any kid on just about any level is going to keep working towards that dream (no matter how small the chances).

Once they really started to cut down on scholarships, the calculus of the whole deal changed. You couldn't afford to keep bad seeds around like that, the numbers just didn't afford that luxury, especially when the natural inclination of a lot of kids was to continue on with their football careers even if they were big problems for your program. In the end, if you had a kid who wasn't getting it done, he had to leave and you had to sign someone who could come in and do the job. As I recall, this was when you really started to see a big push in the one-year scholarships.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

This may be the CRS Syndrome talking, but...

As best I recall you started to see a lot of the one-year deals in the late 1970's and early 1980's. Back when Bryant first started there were no meaningful scholarship limits, so you could have a small army on scholarship. With "bad" kids -- whether they were involved with off-field troubles, poor grades, or whatever -- schools didn't really have much of an incentive to cut bait. You might as well just stick out the bad times, hope the kid matured and then maybe by the time his junior or senior year rolled around he could be a meaningful contributor.

The cost of attendance was much lower then as well -- the rise in the cost of attendance for college has outpaced the rate of inflation for decades -- and that helped out a lot as well because schools weren't quite so out-of-pocket paying a kid's ride. That was never a big consideration for 'Bama because we had a lot of money in the football program, but that was a consideration for some of the more fiscally-limited schools, which at the time involved many SEC programs (Auburn, MSU, etc.).

As I recall it from when I was real little, the bigger problem we had back in the early 70's (and even going back into the 60's) was actually kids voluntarily leaving on their own and just giving up school and football all together.

Back then the appeal of pro football wasn't anywhere near as big because the money was fractional compared to today, players didn't have the same top-shelf set-up they've got now, and unlike things are today, back then a young, fit, athletic male could go out into the workforce and get a pretty good-paying, blue-collar job that offered a decent wage with some benefits. You just don't see any of that these days. Now, players are treated like kings, there are no real economic alternatives for them, and the NFL payday lottery is such that any kid on just about any level is going to keep working towards that dream (no matter how small the chances).

Once they really started to cut down on scholarships, the calculus of the whole deal changed. You couldn't afford to keep bad seeds around like that, the numbers just didn't afford that luxury, especially when the natural inclination of a lot of kids was to continue on with their football careers even if they were big problems for your program. In the end, if you had a kid who wasn't getting it done, he had to leave and you had to sign someone who could come in and do the job. As I recall, this was when you really started to see a big push in the one-year scholarships.
Interesting observation. I can think of several from the sixties. One was the year behind me in HS at Decatur, named Hugh Ogle. He was a great QB and was the son of the coach at that time - "Shorty Ogle."(6'9") Hugh was about 6'4" or so. He lasted through his sophomore year at Bama and was headed towards being the starter. He explained to me that he'd never really enjoyed FB, despite his natural ability. Another was Harvey Morris, now a lawyer here in HSV. He's about three years younger than I. I think he quit after his sophomore year also. He was a middle LB whom Bryant heaped praise on every week. Another was Butch Frank, from here in HSV, another coach's son. I think he only missed his senior year. He wanted to go on to med school and did. All three of these were excellent players. They certainly didn't quit because they didn't make it...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.