Tide in the FSU regional!

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
As SEBaseball predicted! We will open with #2 UCF. FSU opens with #4 Bethune-Cookman.

rtr

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
Was just about to post this as well. Should be an interesting regional for us, although I'd rather have been sent to Atlanta.

Only 7 SEC teams got bids... South Carolina, Vanderbilt, and Florida which are hosting, Bama is at FSU, MSU is at Ga. Tech, Georgia at Oregon St., and Arkansas at Arizona State. No invitation for Ole Miss or LSU.

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
SEC tournament or no, the snub of LSU is a bit of a shock to me. With their record and rpi how could they not be invited? How the heck did WE get invited if they didn't (with an rpi of 36)?

Regardless, we can chalk up our 21st NCAA tournament appearance. Not too bad at all, eh?

rtr

BamaBriar

Scout Team
Mar 24, 2011
My guess is that they weren't counting on Georgia to make it and when Georgia qualified, Georgia took LSU's spot.

BamaBeta

All-SEC
Sep 18, 2008
Atlanta
My guess is that they weren't counting on Georgia to make it and when Georgia qualified, Georgia took LSU's spot.
Well Georgia did beat Florida in one game in the SEC tourney which really helped them and hurt LSU since they did not even have the chance to play. Glad we made it and will be playing for some payback. What are the chances we win the regional?

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
UALR winning their conference tournament is what I think likely cost LSU a slot. They certainly got hot at the right time.

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
IF we can make it to Sunday I can go (I think it's about five hours for me). I will plan on it, but I have something I must do on Saturday that will keep me close to home.

rtr

baseballfanatic

1st Team
Oct 30, 2008
My thoughts on our regional (and a couple other regionals as well).

1. We're in a good location. We should be able to get a "decent" crowd their.
2. We've got a tough draw. UCF is no slouch, although we should've beat them earlier in the year. If we lose to them, Morgan's really got to bring his best stuff against (more than likely) Bethune Cookman, or we could go 0-2.

I really think we've got the pitching to contend in this regional. Obviously it will come down to our ability to produce runs, which has been our biggest struggle this year.

A couple thoughts about the rest of the tournament. Georgia Tech really got the shaft in their regional. Southern Miss is a team that "should've" been hosting, and Miss St is nothing to sneeze at in a number 3. I think the SEC got a bit of the shaft as well. I mean, UCLA, with an RPI one spot below Bama's, is hosting, whereas Arkansas, with an RPI in the teens, get's sent out West. LSU, with their RPI, should've been in. Georgia should've been a 2-seed. South Carolina, Vanderbilt were both mid-National seeds, when they've been the top 2-3 teams all season. Those are more understandable, though, because UF won the SEC Tourney and what not.

I just think the committee, in both baseball and basketball this season, has made some extremely questionable decisions as far as who gets in, and who plays where.

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
Without really taking apart all 64 teams I can't say for certain, but I see no way that LSU doesn't get in. rpi means nothing if LSU doesn't get in. I don't understand the UCLA thing either, but it had to have something to do with regional balance. Arkansas got shafted.

We, on the other hand, got about as good a draw as we could have hoped for.

A question: why should we have beaten UCF? I don't remember it like that at all. I remember them hitting our guys like it was slow-pitch softball.

rtr

baseballfanatic

1st Team
Oct 30, 2008
A question: why should we have beaten UCF? I don't remember it like that at all. I remember them hitting our guys like it was slow-pitch softball.

rtr
Maybe I'm thinking of another game when we made a ton of errors in the game. Was that not that game?

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
Well, we didn't look good defensively in any of those games in Mobile (except maybe Booth), but I remember several shots to the fence by the Knights.

rtr

Clarkmom

May 27, 2010
It was also very early in the season before I think they knew where to place everyone. I think Dugas said that only four of our current starters played in that game in February. I think we should see a much different ballgame this time around. Plus Peanut is pitching probably which will make a difference.

RoyDMercer

Scout Team
Sep 3, 2009

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
In the earlier game with UCF they scored 12 runs (all earned) on 18 hits. Hawley got the start and lasted 3 innings, giving up 7 earned. On the positive side, we did have 9 hits, and UCF made 3 errors, maybe their defense will let them down...

ReturnToGlory

All-American
Nov 22, 2006
Blakely, Georgia
I may have a ticket available for Friday and Sunday/Monday(if we make it that far). My friend just let me know he couldn't go to any of the games.

This is a giveaway, not trying to sell.

Harmost

All-American
Sep 19, 2005
I remember the Central Florida game like it was yesterday! Bigger, stronger, and faster! Spin it however you want to but they are a great team. I think UCF has beat the Gators and Fl. State this year also,
They picked up one in a series against FSU, beat UF, and won the Rice series (although they lost to Rice in the conf. tourney). All-in-all a much better team than I was hoping we'd get in game one.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.