LB Reuben Foster Decommits from Auburn

Status
Not open for further replies.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Re: *** 2013 LB Reuben Foster Commits to Bama ***

He's transferring to a school in Alabama? Maybe Prattville's new coach is good with taking transfers like him.

RM80

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 24, 2011
Anniston, AL

I dont know what family member is in Oxford but he was born in Roanoke, AL. of course that is how he knew Bradley Bozeman as a little kid

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama

I don't know about changing "guardians" but I do know that unless that is changed through the legal system and he doesn't live with said person for 9 months he will be ineligible to play. If his guardian status is NOT changed, his parents MUST move to Oxford for at least 9 months. With the AHSAA you just can't pick and choose who is the guardian without changing it legally or he will be ineligible.

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama

I don't know about changing "guardians" but I do know that unless that is changed through the legal system and he doesn't live with said person for 9 months he will be ineligible to play. If his guardian status is NOT changed, his parents MUST move to Oxford for at least 9 months. With the AHSAA you just can't pick and choose who is the guardian without changing it legally or he will be ineligible.
No doubt, it will have to go through the court system in some fashion.

The 9 month thing is a little confusing to me, though. When we have kids transfer from school to school here, they only have to be enrolled 30 days prior to the season starting to be eligible for the particular sport--at least that is my experience with baseball and football. A friends of ours came from a private school and played football this fall. He registered in June. If you move with your family from another city or state, you don't have to wait 9 months to play HS sports. So, if he and his parents moved to Oxford when school gets out in May, he can register and play in the fall, right? Clarify please!

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al

Is theat for people moving into new disticts only? Would that apply for someone moving in from out of state?

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

Is theat for people moving into new disticts only? Would that apply for someone moving in from out of state?
I think the answer here is, generally speaking, no. However, could there be an exception carved out for such a high-profile recruit like Foster? I think so.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama

No doubt, it will have to go through the court system in some fashion.

The 9 month thing is a little confusing to me, though. When we have kids transfer from school to school here, they only have to be enrolled 30 days prior to the season starting to be eligible for the particular sport--at least that is my experience with baseball and football. A friends of ours came from a private school and played football this fall. He registered in June. If you move with your family from another city or state, you don't have to wait 9 months to play HS sports. So, if he and his parents moved to Oxford when school gets out in May, he can register and play in the fall, right? Clarify please!
Whatever house or family member he moves in with, they must live there for 9 months total (time can start before, after, etc.). If Foster came in and played football season only at Oxford and moved out then he would be ineligible. It's listed on AHSAA's site under eligibility rules.

And for the out of state question yes he still has to make a bonafide move into that district to be eligible unless they dish out the money to make the family member in Oxford his legal guardian (chances are they'd have to adopt him I'm sure). Would be a lot of work just to let him play here. Wherever this kid goes it will be highly watched.

Belle you are right on the 30 day thing, but that's just to get enrolled. Just because you enroll doesn't mean you are eligible. For instance my Nephew could move from his current school to the one he is zoned for, but would have to sit out a year before he could play sports but could start at the school right away, but since he has been at this school since the 7th grade he can play there legally even though he is not zoned for this school.

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama

Whatever house or family member he moves in with, they must live there for 9 months total (time can start before, after, etc.). If Foster came in and played football season only at Oxford and moved out then he would be ineligible. It's listed on AHSAA's site under eligibility rules.

And for the out of state question yes he still has to make a bonafide move into that district to be eligible unless they dish out the money to make the family member in Oxford his legal guardian (chances are they'd have to adopt him I'm sure). Would be a lot of work just to let him play here. Wherever this kid goes it will be highly watched.

Belle you are right on the 30 day thing, but that's just to get enrolled. Just because you enroll doesn't mean you are eligible. For instance my Nephew could move from his current school to the one he is zoned for, but would have to sit out a year before he could play sports but could start at the school right away, but since he has been at this school since the 7th grade he can play there legally even though he is not zoned for this school.
Awesome. I understand it now! Thanks!!

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al

temporary guardianship could be granted quickly if all involved are in good standing with both state's DHR offices. Adoption wouldnt necessarily be needed.

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama

temporary guardianship could be granted quickly if all involved are in good standing with both state's DHR offices. Adoption wouldnt necessarily be needed.
If they go through Probate Court, they don't even have to get DHR involved. They can use independent home study providers.

Tidetwin

All-American
May 15, 2006
Northeast Georgia

Hope everything turns out OK for the young man. All this gives me a queasy feeling.
There are probably exceptions, but situations like this one don't usually have happy endings. I am not walking in the young man's shoes but I surely wish he would have stayed put.

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture

The chatter out there is that he may be transferring to Oxford AL for his senior year. Also saw one tweet is he wants to get away from all the pressure UGA is putting on him. I do think it bodes well if he finishes HS in AL.

dont know whether the real reason will come out publicly but the possible move is due to personal reasons. I'll leave it at that until something surfaces officially.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.