Status
Not open for further replies.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Re: 2013 LB Reuben Foster flips to Barn

The sad thing about this for this kid is he just severely hurt his chances of developing into an NFL type LB. If he would of went to LSU (thank goodness he didn't BTW), Florida or heck, even Miss St. he would have received the coaching necessary to develop him into an NFL draftee. But Auburn simply will not provide him that opportunity. Too bad for him.

Last edited:

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006

Exactly! Reuben's announcement was TJ Yeldon's announcement of his switch word for word except changing the school names. That certainly wasn't his doing seeing as how he has no prior allegiance to either school before recruiting. That was definitely the doing of someone associated closely with AU's program who felt butt hurt by Yeldon's switch
It just goes to show you how much we are on their minds. The barners are even trying to mimic what our recruits do.

TideWatcher

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2006
newton county, ms

Recruiting is a hard business. Auburn obviously wanted to rub this in Bama's face. You don't win them all. But CS gets most of them, and that is what is eating at Auburn. When they get one as big as Foster thought to be a Bama lock, they have to milk it for all they can. It is how you act when you are, well, little brother. Congratulations to them

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame

I gotta admit the effort the barn put into the scripted commitment speech makes me smile. As usual, the barn defines itself by what we do, and this screams of one-upping big brother. They talk of getting out of our shadow, but constantly do things like this to stay firmly planted there.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

The sad thing about this for this kid is he just severely hurt his chances of developing into an NFL type LB. If he would of went to LSU (thank goodness he didn't BTW), Florida or heck, even Miss St. he would have received the coaching necessary to develope him into an NFL draftee. But Auburn simply will not provide him that opportunity. Too bad for him.
My thoughts exactly. I'll admit I don't follow Auburn or the NFL as closely as I do Alabama. But someone tell me who was the last Auburn LB that went on to the NFL? Was it Karlos Dansby a decade ago?

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama

I heard through a nutjob Barner fan that RF was at the Auburn practice facility nearly EVERYDAY this summer. Is that not a recruiting violation? This whole fiasco is just so dirty.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

I heard through a nutjob Barner fan that RF was at the Auburn practice facility nearly EVERYDAY this summer. Is that not a recruiting violation? This whole fiasco is just so dirty.
No because he was with his teammates Mr. Taylor and Mr. Luper.:rolleyes:

I have to wonder if he was favoring Auburn before he transferred. He was on the verge of transferring to Oxford High School then goes to AHS. Why not transfer to a school closer to or in Tuscaloosa? He said he wanted to be close to his daughter when he transferred. Unless his daughter was going to Tuscaloosa, he wasn't going to be close to her.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004

My thoughts exactly. I'll admit I don't follow Auburn or the NFL as closely as I do Alabama. But someone tell me who was the last Auburn LB that went on to the NFL? Was it Karlos Dansby a decade ago?
I hate to put it this way because it ultimately hurts the kids who sign with them. But the "system" they have in place right now of how they go about doing things is perfect for Alabama. Now that both Cam and Malzahn are gone they have no more "rabbits in the hat" to keep them competitive. We're about to see how Cheezenip failed so miserably at Iowa St.

Last edited:

Rasputin

Suspended
Apr 15, 2008

Exactly! Reuben's announcement was TJ Yeldon's announcement of his switch word for word except changing the school names. That certainly wasn't his doing seeing as how he has no prior allegiance to either school before recruiting. That was definitely the doing of someone associated closely with AU's program who felt butt hurt by Yeldon's switch
Foster's statement via AuburnSports.com:
Over the last several weeks, I've really put a lot of thought and time into where I want to go to continue my football career. I am blessed that I have the situation where I have several great opportunities and I appreciate everyone that attended this and who has helped me get to this point.
I want to make an announcement so I can put this behind me and get to work on what I need to do to prepare for college both academically and athletically.
I am going to enroll at Auburn University.
I have a lot of respect for Alabama, the coaches, and all of the people there and the fans, but at the end of the day I feel like Auburn University is the best place for me and my family. I am 100 percent confident with my final decision.
I feel great about my decision and I'm excited to get started.

Now read Yeldon's quote from December 2011, courtesy of Don Kausler, Jr. ofAL.com:

Over the last few weeks, I've really put a lot of time and thought into where I want to go to school and continue my football career. I am blessed to be in a situation where I have several great opportunities and I appreciate everyone involved who has helped me get to this point.
I want to make an announcement so I can put this behind me and get to work on the things I need to do to prepare for college both athletically and academically.
I am going to enroll at the University of Alabama in January.
I have a lot of respect for Auburn, the coaches, and all of the people there, but at the end of the day I feel like the University of Alabama is the best situation and fit for me and my family. I am 100 percent confident with my final decision.
I feel great about it and I'm excited to get started
Almost verbatim.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

Bit of a closing statement for now...

Again, just a very weird deal, and it seems like Foster is just all over the place. Committed to 'Bama for months, denied any suggestions he was wavering, couple of weeks back there was a strong feeling that he was UGA bound, then he is all Roll Tide at the Opening, and days later he commits to Auburn. Hopefully all is well with the kid, but it sounds like he is just mentally disconnected right now.

Now, I am sure we'll keep recruiting him, and frankly I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if he de-commits from Auburn in due time. He'll take his official visits later this year, and based on how uncertain he has been in recent weeks, I'd bet good money that this one turns into an absolute circus. The early enroll aspect will only make things crazier.

For Auburn, it's a huge pick-up at a major need position. If they can hang onto him -- I think that's a decent question, but we'll see -- he should be a star player. There aren't 15-20 guys like Foster coming down the pike every year, he's a rare talent.

As for 'Bama, you hate to lose a potential star, but the impact on us is minimal. We signed a great linebacker class last year, and we're going to be loaded at the position regardless and we're going to bring in another top class. Who knows, we may even flip him a few months down the road. Either way, no real cause for concern, we'll be fine.

Finally, nice to see most, though not all, took the Foster news pretty well and responded appropriately. Again, we'll be fine regardless of what he does, so best of luck to the kid either way. Just hope it works out well for him regardless of where he ends up. Special talent.

glasscutter256

All-American
Jan 31, 2009
Huntsville
Re: *** 2013 LB Reuben Foster Commits to Bama ***

And we know this how? Funny how his character and suitability as a recruit never came up when he was committed to us.

Given how the Cyrus, Calloway and Yelden sagas ended, what you say we all choose our words with care?
if you would have read my first sentence...you would see where I drew this conclusion. learn how not to take things out of context.
thx

Rasputin

Suspended
Apr 15, 2008

Again, just a very weird deal, and it seems like Foster is just all over the place. Committed to 'Bama for months, denied any suggestions he was wavering, couple of weeks back there was a strong feeling that he was UGA bound, then he is all Roll Tide at the Opening, and days later he commits to Auburn. Hopefully all is well with the kid, but it sounds like he is just mentally disconnected right now.

Now, I am sure we'll keep recruiting him, and frankly I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if he de-commits from Auburn in due time. He'll take his official visits later this year, and based on how uncertain he has been in recent weeks, I'd bet good money that this one turns into an absolute circus. The early enroll aspect will only make things crazier.

For Auburn, it's a huge pick-up at a major need position. If they can hang onto him -- I think that's a decent question, but we'll see -- he should be a star player. There aren't 15-20 guys like Foster coming down the pike every year, he's a rare talent.

As for 'Bama, you hate to lose a potential star, but the impact on us is minimal. We signed a great linebacker class last year, and we're going to be loaded at the position regardless and we're going to bring in another top class. Who knows, we may even flip him a few months down the road. Either way, no real cause for concern, we'll be fine.

Finally, nice to see most, though not all, took the Foster news pretty well and responded appropriately. Again, we'll be fine regardless of what he does, so best of luck to the kid either way. Just hope it works out well for him regardless of where he ends up. Special talent.
Class post, couldn't have said it any better.

For Foster's sake I hope wherever he goes he "see's the light at the end of the tunnel" and does what is best for his family and himself.

Dplymkr88

Suspended
Oct 25, 2009
Virginia Beach, VA

I was looking forward to seeing RF play in Crimson but it won't happen, oh well. He will have a few mediocre years at *U and leave without a championship, good luck with that.

I trust CNS to get the right people and put them in the right places, all is well...

glasscutter256

All-American
Jan 31, 2009
Huntsville

I think the reason those commitment statements are so similar is that AU probably has a standard script they give to kids to make sure they don't stutter or say something crazy. Yeldon probably just hung on to that paper and changed the schools. I don't read too much into this. This is pretty standard when people talk on TV. They want to say what they want in a clear, concise way. Salespeople have a script they learn also.

Tide Warrior

All-American
Jun 7, 2009
Asheville, NC-Chapel Hill, NC

I agree but this is almost scripted to well not to have been planned they way it went down. I am glad that AU feels they needed this moral victory. If any of the stuff that has been floating around is true I doubt UA will get this kid in the end. Good luck to him and hope he can get healthly for him and his families sake. Should have a great career.

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006

I agree but this is almost scripted to well not to have been planned they way it went down. I am glad that AU feels they needed this moral victory. If any of the stuff that has been floating around is true I doubt UA will get this kid in the end. Good luck to him and hope he can get healthly for him and his families sake. Should have a great career.
Yeah; the timing is what is interesting with the developments of criminal activity (of others; not RF) starting to come out. As BET, we loaded up on LB in 2012; we had a good group in 2011 with Depriest, Devall, etc. and have Allen committed already (and hopefully pursuing Thomas heavily). Losing a top flight LB prospect isn't a huge blow to our depth. Losing top flight OT and QB prospects would be however.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

What better way to make your fans feel all good about themselves when one recruit is arrested twice in 10 days, another recruit gets sent home from The Opening, your "star" QB signee gets sent home, DeAngelo Benton is reported to be a key factor in the shooting a few weeks ago, and players die from the shooting incident?

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004

What better way to make your fans feel all good about themselves when one recruit is arrested twice in 10 days, another recruit gets sent home from The Opening, your "star" QB signee gets sent home, DeAngelo Benton is reported to be a key factor in the shooting a few weeks ago, and players die from the shooting incident?
Here's what I cling to now when we miss out on a star recruit. "This ain't 2006 anymore. This ain't the dark ages of Bama football anymore." It is the opposite. It is one of the golden periods of Bama football. We've won two NC's in three years. Our recruiting classes now have more talent in one class than three recruiting classes in years past. Bama football is now a well oiled machine no longer running on used parts. We get the best and when we miss out on the best we replace it with the best.

I hope on a personal level it works out for Foster if he decides to keep his commitment with the barn. Unfortunately, he has now put a lot more obstacles in his path to get to what he wants.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.