S&P Downgrades US Debt Rating

swoop10

Hall of Fame
Feb 10, 2001
Valdosta, GA
Thats simply wrong. While the stimulus was poorly crafted and not as effective as it could have/should have been, it stopped the horrific job loss of around 700,000/month and now we are seeing some, albeit anemic, job growth. Please stop mis-characterizing my views saying that I believe government is the "end all be all". I have said before that for the most part, elected officials should adopt a more laissez faire attitude to economic issues.
It's not wrong. Do you honestly think we were going to lose 700,000 jobs a month forever until we passed a stimulus package. Whose to say we didn't just hit bottom and wasted almost a trillion dollars? You have no idea one way or the other but you are willing to take Obama's word for it and he has no idea one way or the other. It's strange how you pick and choose what words you listen to. He also said if we passed the bill unemployment wouldn't go over 8% yet you ignore those words. We not only went over 8%, we are still over 9%. The only thing the stimulus package did was save state workers jobs for a period of time. Once the fed money was gone most of them lost their jobs anyway.

I'm also not mis-characterizing anything. I say we need to create jobs and the first thing that comes to your mind is jobs programs. You have said before that officials should adopt a more laissez faire attitude but every answer you come up with has government involvment. You say we have to cut spending but almost everytime something is brought up you say we have to worry about the affects of those cuts. You seem to want to play both sides of some issues but when push comes to shove you support big government.

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
It's not wrong. Do you honestly think we were going to lose 700,000 jobs a month forever until we passed a stimulus package. Whose to say we didn't just hit bottom and wasted almost a trillion dollars? You have no idea one way or the other but you are willing to take Obama's word for it and he has no idea one way or the other. It's strange how you pick and choose what words you listen to. He also said if we passed the bill unemployment wouldn't go over 8% yet you ignore those words. We not only went over 8%, we are still over 9%. The only thing the stimulus package did was save state workers jobs for a period of time. Once the fed money was gone most of them lost their jobs anyway.

I'm also not mis-characterizing anything. I say we need to create jobs and the first thing that comes to your mind is jobs programs. You have said before that officials should adopt a more laissez faire attitude but every answer you come up with has government involvment. You say we have to cut spending but almost everytime something is brought up you say we have to worry about the affects of those cuts. You seem to want to play both sides of some issues but when push comes to shove you support big government.
And also remember that he is not a class warrior. He just wants to overtax the rich to give to the poor.

RollTide2U

All-American
Oct 30, 2010
St. Florian, Alabama

Ro's a confused li'l puppy dog, that's for sure. I have a friend who is a Democrat and he does the same thing - says one thing that makes sense and then trots out the Democrat talking point in the next breath. Sheer confusion...

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
How about we start taxing the half that pay no federal income tax first?
Or at least make it really hard on them on welfare!

1. Blood/urine/hair analysis to check for drugs/booze; you fail, no welfare check for 12 months.
2. No "kiddie bonus" ie. no sitting around screwing n breeding while you and I are working to pay for your worthless butt.
3. Food stamps can buy bread, eggs, milk, fruit, veggies, fish and chicken. No cookies, chips, soda etc. You want that, you can get a job.
4. If you do not have a HS diploma you will be in GED classes before your 1st check
5. You get so much as a speeding ticket you are off of Welfare.
6. You are driving a Benz, carrying a Coach purse, wearing the latest Ralph Lauren or have a TV/Stereo that would make Shaq proud, no more check for you!

I have absolutely no issue with someone who is truely disabled and needs help. However, it drives me crazy when I see somebody paying for food with food stamps and see them with a Coach purse, 2ct diamond, tag watch, Prada shoes and gets into a 7 series BMW.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa

1. Blood/urine/hair analysis to check for drugs/booze; you fail, no welfare check for 12 months.
2. No "kiddie bonus" ie. no sitting around screwing n breeding while you and I are working to pay for your worthless butt.
3. Food stamps can buy bread, eggs, milk, fruit, veggies, fish and chicken. No cookies, chips, soda etc. You want that, you can get a job.
4. If you do not have a HS diploma you will be in GED classes before your 1st check
6. You are driving a Benz, carrying a Coach purse, wearing the latest Ralph Lauren or have a TV/Stereo that would make Shaq proud, no more check for you!

I have absolutely no issue with someone who is truely disabled and needs help. However, it drives me crazy when I see somebody paying for food with food stamps and see them with a Coach purse, 2ct diamond, tag watch, Prada shoes and gets into a 7 series BMW.
Seen London? We are a slight reduction in welfare from that. Of course we, as private citizens, have guns.

lazlohollyfeld

1st Team
Jul 20, 2010
Allen, TX

Is that how Wylie is now? Crazy Coach purse wearing, BMW driving welfare queens?

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
Is that how Wylie is now? Crazy Coach purse wearing, BMW driving welfare queens?
If you open your eyes you see it all over. Again, I have no issue if someone is truely in need. However, what Obama and his liberal democrats are trying to do is create a welfare state where hard work is not valued. The way to improve the economy is to cut taxes on the wealthy and job creators. If the Dems demand on revenue increases, get rid of the earned income credit, tax welfare, get rid of the child tax credit. If you cant afford the kid, don't have one.

Roll`92`Tide

BamaNation Citizen
Oct 20, 2007
Houston, TX
If you open your eyes you see it all over. Again, I have no issue if someone is truely in need. However, what Obama and his liberal democrats are trying to do is create a welfare state where hard work is not valued. The way to improve the economy is to cut taxes on the wealthy and job creators. If the Dems demand on revenue increases, get rid of the earned income credit, tax welfare, get rid of the child tax credit. If you cant afford the kid, don't have one.

I don't agree with this statement at all. Over the last several years since the "wealthy" have been enjoying the tax cuts they haven't exactly been CREATING jobs just hoarding the money. If they are just going to keep the money to themselves doesn't it make sense to raise their taxes since they're not creating any jobs with it?

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
I don't agree with this statement at all. Over the last several years since the "wealthy" have been enjoying the tax cuts they haven't exactly been CREATING jobs just hoarding the money. If they are just going to keep the money to themselves doesn't it make sense to raise their taxes since they're not creating any jobs with it?
So, you're okay with government-mandated theft if the owner of the wealth doesn't spend his money according to your wishes?

And define "hoarding" money.

Roll`92`Tide

BamaNation Citizen
Oct 20, 2007
Houston, TX
So, you're okay with government-mandated theft if the owner of the wealth doesn't spend his money according to your wishes?

And define "hoarding" money.
I'm curious, how did you link "Creating Jobs" to government-mandated theft. The hoarding comment came from a earnings reports that have been recently released that show corporations are making billions in profits but are not investing or creating any jobs with it. So what would you call that?

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
I'm curious, how did you link "Creating Jobs" to government-mandated theft.
Private sector spending does create jobs. That foolish government policies cost jobs is not the fault of the private sector job-creators.

And then you said, "If they are just going to keep the money to themselves doesn't it make sense to raise their taxes ..." The answer is "no" for a couple of big reasons. One, it's their money, not the government's. Two, the government doesn't create wealth; savvy people do. So, it is better to leave the wealth in the hands of those that create wealth so they can ...... create more wealth.

The hoarding comment came from a earnings reports that have been recently released that show corporations are making billions in profits but are not investing or creating any jobs with it. So what would you call that?
A smart business decision considering all the uncertainty Obama has created in the economy since he came into office. How much will Obamacare (just to pick one of many items) cost buinesses? If you can't answer that question then how can you expect a business to plan for the future (hire more workers, purchase equipment, etc.)?

Last edited:

Roll`92`Tide

BamaNation Citizen
Oct 20, 2007
Houston, TX
Private sector spending does create jobs. That foolish government policies cost jobs is not the fault of the private sector job-creators.And then you said, "If they are just going to keep the money to themselves doesn't it make sense to raise their taxes ..." The answer is "no" for a couple of big reasons. One, it's their money, not the government's. Two, the government doesn't create wealth; savvy people do. So, it is better to leave the wealth in the hands of those that create wealth so they can ...... create more wealth. Savvy people create wealth? Savvy people such as professional traders who look for weakness and vunerabilities in the market only to exploit them, walk away with billions, not create a single job and oh yea don't pay a dime in taxes? Or by savvy do you mean people such as hedge fund managers who speculate on prices only to drive them up make billions, don't pay taxes because they somehow got their taxes deferred and wow what a coincidence they don't create any jobs as well. People like this will definately create more wealth, for themselves, they won't create any jobs. Keeping money in the hands of people like this won't help but actually make more problems for the economy and this country. For examples like this I am all in favor of raising their taxes because they aren't helping only continue to add to the problems this country already has.A smart business decision considering all the uncertainty Obama has created in the economy since he came into office. How much will Obamacare (just to pick one of many items) cost buinesses? If you can't answer that question then how can you expect a business to plan for the future (hire more workers, purchase equipment, etc.)?
Obama, really!! Were going there huh! LOL Hate to tell you this but when W became the president we had a surplus, when he left deficit. Point being this isn't a Democrat or a Republican thing this a "Greed" thing. Obamacare will never happen even thou we do need universal health care in this country. ;)

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Obama, really!! Were going there huh! LOL Hate to tell you this but when W became the president we had a surplus, when he left deficit. Point being this isn't a Democrat or a Republican thing this a "Greed" thing. Obamacare will never happen even thou we do need universal health care in this country. ;)
So, in addition to altering my post above you completely miss the point when it comes to economics and current events.

What in the world are you talking about with this statement?

Savvy people such as professional traders who look for weakness and vunerabilities in the market only to exploit them, walk away with billions, not create a single job and oh yea don't pay a dime in taxes?
We need universal health care? Really? What is it? How does it work? Where is its justification in the Constitution? How much does it cost? Who pays for it?

Last edited:

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
You are wasting your breath. Dont you know the gov is totally useless and the rich are the only job creators. :wink: Cut taxes on upper incomes, dismantle all entitlements and happy days are here again.:rolleyes:

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.