The gameday crew (facepalm)

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I have become convinced that the pro-wrestling-style script writers they have simply say, "OK today you get to play the idiot and argue why App State will beat Nebraska in Lincoln by three touchdowns."

The exception to this is "First Take," where Skip Bayless plays the same dumb role every single day. Simply change out a few words and it's the Sock Puppets all over again. If ESPN had a poll for who was the greatest basketball player ever (and we all know who would win that one), Bayless would say something to David Aldridge like, "Now you have to admit....Jordan wasn't REALLY that good until he got Scottie Pippen on his team. I say it was (insert name of common player who happened to be on a lot of championship teams - Robert Horry comes to mind) because every time you turned around he was in the finals and hitting game-winning shots. Jordan, I'll give you that but not BEFORE they got Pippen and I'll tell you another reason why - Jordan threw his best years away on the baseball field blah blah blah."

Simply change the name from Bayless to Corso/Herbstreit/Insert Moron's Name and you've got it.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Yesterday, Fowler was tweeting away about the "surprises" on the show today and how FSU fans should tune in. After reading those, I decided to skip the show. I am so glad I did. Those guys have become irrevelant. ESPN should post a preshow disclaimer stating that "the following is for entertainment purposes only."
You must be correct because I remember how many people thought ol' Herbie had lost his marbles last year when he picked AU to win the SEC. Wait a second, AU did win the SEC last year. Yes, Gameday is mostly for entertainment purposes; however, many people around these parts just get their panties in a twist if these guys don't say nice things about the Tide. They are entitled to have opinions of their own, which makes it even more sweet when we prove them wrong. Winning the title in '92 was even more awesome because so many "experts" had to eat their words.

I do understand those who complain about the "experts" getting their facts wrong. You would think that guys who get paid a large salary just to do what most of us do for free would know their facts.

Dogtown Darren

3rd Team
Oct 31, 2004
Powder Springs, Ga.
Eh, I'd take what they have to say with a grain of salt. Much like a talk show host has to keep his listening audience stirred up with inflammatory commentary and being hostile with callers, the talking head programs at ESPN take positions to create buzz/disagreement to generate conversation and water cooler talk. The ESPN analist change their position/opinion every time the wind blows. As long as Erin Andrews is on the show, the rest of 'em can spew whatever they want!

Just Win

All-SEC
Dec 22, 2003
Alabaster, AL, USA
Herbstreit: where is alabamas downfield threat...nobody on that roster can replace julio jones (granted thats true but bama has experience receivers and i think bama is gonna have deandre white come out and play great)
corso: bama can't win because there qb is new ( like mcelroy in 09...right??? :rolleyes:)
Desmond Howard: alabama doesn't have any running backs behind Trent richardson...(i can't even respond to that one...like eddie lacey and jalston fowler are walkons or something) He called him "ED" lacey by the way.

these guys.......Just Facepalm

Aren't these guys paid to do research?????
In reference to the Gameday Crews OPINIONS - To quote Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson - "IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT YOU THINK."

BamaMike334

BamaNation Citizen
Aug 22, 2011
And how many pundits said, "Alabama has no chance against Miami" in 1992?
I was just thinking that same exact thing. Oh how I love when we prove the naysayers wrong! It makes the victories that much sweeter imho. Herbstreit is usually pretty good,but I am gonna have to disagree with him on this one. As far as Corso goes,I hope he picks against us every game. As another poster stated,I admire him for overcoming the stroke,but I do not know what he bases most of his picks off of. The only reason he is on game day is for comic relief I believe. So how long untill Granny Clampett starts telling us how great Notre Dame is going to be this year?

exiledNms

Hall of Fame
Aug 2, 2002
Hattiesburg, MS (USA)
In the words of my late Grandpa (applied here to the GameDay crowd): "I like 'em just fine for the use I have for 'em.":D My recommendation to all: relax & prepare to enjoy watching a very good Crimson Tide team. Did I mention "relax"?

exiled

BamaMike334

BamaNation Citizen
Aug 22, 2011
In the words of my late Grandpa (applied here to the GameDay crowd): "I like 'em just fine for the use I have for 'em.":D My recommendation to all: relax & prepare to enjoy watching a very good Crimson Tide team. Did I mention "relax"?

exiled
Relaxed :cool:

So how long untill Granny Clampett starts telling us how great Notre Dame is going to be this year?
I was hoping not to even see Granny brought up. Ever since he said USCe "man-handled" Bama last season, everything else out his mouth has been wet trash.
Gameday is still fun. They are just saying what their predictions were. Bernie has good insight though. Surprised everyone with the AU pick. I still say Bama over Boisie State.

RollinTider1335

All-SEC
Jun 12, 2010
Spring Hill, TN
I heard Kirky pick Oregon over Bama in the NCSC, which I laughed at. This show is drived a lot towards entertainment purposes to appease many viewers. From a personal standpoint, I don't see how Oregone can match up to a D-line or O-line like Alabama's. They were manhandled in the BCSC by *U in the trenches. Alabama is better this year and I don't see Oregone (much less any other top 10 ten) being able to match up for 4 quarters. I didn't hear Kirk's reasoning but did find it entertaining.

Gameday crew will do what they do and Alabama will do what we do. It will all take care of itself.

LCN

FB | REC Moderator
Sep 29, 2005
Lee was at the front of the line . We had him on for a segment a few weeks later and he got a little testy over his pick before stating , "So what ? I was wrong . I mean they beat the S*** out of them !" . LOL . Obviously this was one of those times when you have to remind you guest that they are on a family show . I actually sat with him during a mid-90's IB back when he was still very energetic .

Also , I wonder how many fans have forgotten his original role at ESPN ? During the early years Tim Brando was hosting while Corso had the role of expert along with Beano being the clown of the show . Beano couldn't last ten minutes without pimping Paterno or the tarnished domers , but I just loved hearing say "Ewesu" in place of LSU :D

CrimsonBleedRed

All-American
Nov 24, 2007
United States
Herbstreit: where is alabamas downfield threat...nobody on that roster can replace julio jones (granted thats true but bama has experience receivers and i think bama is gonna have deandre white come out and play great)
corso: bama can't win because there qb is new ( like mcelroy in 09...right??? :rolleyes:)
Desmond Howard: alabama doesn't have any running backs behind Trent richardson...(i can't even respond to that one...like eddie lacey and jalston fowler are walkons or something) He called him "ED" lacey by the way.

I think people are talking what the Gameday Crew says too personally. They didn't say what we didn't already know. A: As of right now we have nobody on the roster to replace Julio Jones. All Bama can do is play the players they have and expect them to produce. Herby isn't wrong there. Corso, imo his a cartoon character, much like Abe Simpson. And Desmond isn't wrong. If you were not a Bama fan could you name a RB behind Trent Richardson? Most non-Bama, and perhaps non-SEC teams couldn't tell you Eddie Lacy or Brent Calloway or Blake Sims, all they know is Trent Richardson. It's up to the RB's on the roster behind TR3 to make a name for themselves. So what's the problem. Nobody knew TR3 until the NCG in 2009? Nobody knew Mark Ingram till the USCe game.

these guys.......Just Facepalm

Aren't these guys paid to do research?????
I do agree that the lack of research isn't very professional of them, but hey it is their first show before the season. Gimme a break.

Bottomline: Herbstreit (and Mark May) have been Bama's biggest supports on ESPN, bar none. Now I know Herby (my mom LOVES Herbstreit, btw) did not win over any friends on this site when he accurate predicted that *U would win the west and the SECCG last year (albeit there was a lot of luck involved) but that doesn't mean he doesn't like Alabama, he simply wants to see if certain players will step and fill the void of departed players. Is that what we want to say every year?

Guys don't take it personally. They are paid to talk for a living. Some crap will stick, some won't. But I promise you by the end of the Arky game, none of the Gameday Crew will be picking against Bama again.

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States
You can't expect anyone that doesn't live Bama year round to know and get everything right about Bama except well a Bama fan. They cover so many teams in an hour or 2 there is no way to not make mistakes. Every school they talk abouts fans go through the same thing, correcting mistakes as they make them. Hey its s show about college football. Without their show I would know even less about other schools than I do now. I look forward to their show every Saturday!;)

KrimsonNinja

All-SEC
Apr 22, 2009
Florida
It looks to me like they lose credibility with every season.

I can understand one of them saying something dumb. But to strike out like that is just baffling.

- Alabama will produce a downfield threat. Most likely DeAndrew White.
- McCarron has about the same amount of experience G-Mac had coming into the same role.
- Alabama is loaded at the RB position. Trent Richardson, Eddie Lacy and Jalston Fowler.

Last edited:

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Lemme think...........

Micheal Irvin, leading the parade.
Randy Galloway. (At least he apologized, in his next article.)
Probably Skipless Bayless, and Brad the Sham.
I bet Dale Hansen, as well. (Die-hard Children of the Corn denizen.)

Pretty much everyone, in the DFW sports media.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.