2013 S Anthony Conner Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
Re: 2013 S Anthony Conner

He sure could have benefited from a little help from his teammates. Good catch of him wearing the Bama gloves.

Crimson Surfer

News|BB|FB|REC, Super Moderator
Jul 14, 2001
Henderson, NV

Conner is definitely a 2013 prospect to keep an eye on.

http://beta.clarionledger.com/artic...ive/South-Panola-loses-24-13-to-Hoover-in-Ala.
“We’re not happy about the results, but we had a lot of chances and just didn’t capitalize,” said South Panola coach Lance Pogue. “But saying that would be taking away from Hoover.”

Antonio Connor scored both touchdowns for the Tigers (1-1), ranked No. 1 in The Clarion-Ledger Super 10. Connor, a junior, scored on a 78-yard kickoff return and a 5-yard run for South Panola, which trailed 10-0 at halftime.
http://www.nemisspreps.com/schools/school-article-profile.php?School_ID=&Article_ID=3209
USA Today's defending national champions, ranked No. 12 in this preseason, had not lost since falling to Memphis University School early in the 2009 season. But South Panola returned just seven starters from last year's Class 6A state champions.

The Tigers (1-1) opened the season last week with a convincing 37-17 win at West Point but trailed on Saturday 10-0 after giving up a 4-yard scoring pass just 16 second before halftime. The touchdown came after Hoover stopped South Panola on fourth-and-goal from the Buccaneers' 3. Junior Antonio Connor scored a pair of second-half touchdowns for the Tigers, on a 78-yard punt return and a 5-yard run.
http://mississippi.scout.com/2/965874.html

Crimson Surfer

Jul 14, 2001
Henderson, NV

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/r.../6905712/antonio-conner-does-all-south-panola
HOOVER, Ala. -- In a game when they really needed him Antonio Conner did all he could for South Panola High School. But in the end, he and his Tigers teammates fell short against Hoover (Ala.) 24-13. Conner, a junior standout, had a breakout performance in all three phases of the game and showed why he will potentially be one of the most coveted prospects in the country next season.

"That No. 12 is a heck of a player," Hoover coach Josh Niblett said. "You know he's going to get his. He's something else."

Conner, 6-foot-2 and 190 pounds, tried to put the Tigers on his back. The standout safety had a couple of huge hits in the secondary, on offense he got loose on the perimeter and showcased his terrific speed and he made his presence felt on special teams as well, returning one punt 75 yards for the Tigers' first score. He also scored on a 5-yard run late in the contest.

Crimson Surfer

Jul 14, 2001
Henderson, NV

He's the real deal thats for sure.
He was the standout on the their team, that is for sure. I am glad to see he has an early Bama offer and with him sporting those Alabama gloves things are looking good.

http://alabama.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1257915
"We have some football players out there you know," Pogue said. "We just need to do a better job of putting them in a position to succeed and getting some of the guys some support."

Some of the guys could be interpreted as one guy: Antonio Connor.

The junior player was all over the field for South Panola.

He lined up at quarterback, running back, safety, cornerback, and kick and punt returner.

"Antonio is a special player," Pogue said. "But if we keep asking to him to do everything, it will be our own undoing. One player, no matter the skill level, can not carry a team."

DurdenTider

All-SEC
Jan 3, 2011
Mobile, AL

I haven't seen much from him yet but he was pretty good in that game and if he continues in the path that he's going I'm definitely excited about him. Wonder what position UA is recruiting him for. We're pretty stacked at Safety but maybe by 2013 we could use some more help

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al

I haven't seen much from him yet but he was pretty good in that game and if he continues in the path that he's going I'm definitely excited about him. Wonder what position UA is recruiting him for. We're pretty stacked at Safety but maybe by 2013 we could use some more help
Theyve yet to let depth stop them from recruiting top talent. Id say safety may be his best position (I imagine thats where Saban would want him anyway), plays similar to Barron when he was in High School

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Flame me for saying this if you want, but I'm not that big of a fan of recruiting Mississippi players. What is Alabama's recent history with players from the state? They haven't produced on the field if they were able to step on the field. We all got high hopes for Rod Woodson and Zo Lawerence; They played a very important role during last season, didn't they? We wanted Pat Patterson, but he chose Ole Miss. Now, he's off the team.

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California

Flame me for saying this if you want, but I'm not that big of a fan of recruiting Mississippi players. What is Alabama's recent history with players from the state? They haven't produced on the field if they were able to step on the field. We all got high hopes for Rod Woodson and Zo Lawerence; They played a very important role during last season, didn't they? We wanted Pat Patterson, but he chose Ole Miss. Now, he's off the team.
I'm hoping Anthony Steen and Kevin Norwood can erase some of the disappointment Bama has had with players from the Magnolia State. :cool:

look out for Michael Faciane to make an impact down the line.

Crimson Surfer

Jul 14, 2001
Henderson, NV

I'm hoping Anthony Steen and Kevin Norwood can erase some of the disappointment Bama has had with players from the Magnolia State. :cool:

Thanks for adding that little dose of reality. Conner is a player, I will be watching him closely. ;)

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007

Not to mention Michael's little brother, Malcolm. :wink:

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama

He was the standout on the their team, that is for sure. I am glad to see he has an early Bama offer and with him sporting those Alabama gloves things are looking good.
And was a standout last year as well, and they were national champs according to some services. Not bad for a Sophomore (last year).

I'd say Safety.

Theyve yet to let depth stop them from recruiting top talent. Id say safety may be his best position (I imagine thats where Saban would want him anyway), plays similar to Barron when he was in High School
I agree 100%.

CapstoneGrad06

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2006
Houston, Texas

No major impact prospects from Mississippi during the Saban era (that he has signed), but Kevin Norwood, Anthony Steen, and Malcolm Faciane could very well change that. There were holdovers from the Shula era that had impacts under Saban. Terry Grant was solid in 2007. Justin Woodall was a two year starter at safety. Going back a little further, there was Cornelius Wortham, Freddie Milons, and Jeff Dukes in the last 10 years.

Crimson Surfer

Jul 14, 2001
Henderson, NV
http://alabama.scout.com/2/1103479.html
It is very rare for any sophomore to be considered by some experts as the best player in any state, but that is exactly what the whispers were last season when Tony Conner continually dominated the outcome of a game on a consistent basis like nobody else had in Mississippi.

**Tony Conner took over the starting role at safety for the "University of South Panola" before the start of his freshman season so you knew then that something very special could be brewing. The Tiger's roster is usually deep in numbers (dress over 100 players year in and year out) and talent is never a problem.

Tide Warrior

All-American
Jun 7, 2009
Asheville, NC-Chapel Hill, NC
He has visited UA 3 times this fall for games. Last visit was HC for the MSU game. He is planning to take his OVs next couple of weeks. The only problem is it will be during the dead period meaning he can have no contact with the staff on any visit. Will announce at the all star game Jan 5th. Some sites believe UA still has a great shot with him.

DocCrimson

All-SEC
Jan 3, 2010
East TN
How high on our board would he be? In other words, is he a definite take? He looks pretty impressive from what I can tell, but I'd not heard much about his recruitment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.