UGA Joke

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
I don't know why everyone jumps on Richt. he has averaged 9.6 wins per year at GA, and people have to remember that in the SEC, everybody can't win every game. He's just unfortunate that he plays in the same league as Alabama, LSU, Arkansas, Florida, Tennessee, and South Carolina. He's a quality individual and a smart coach, with character and integrity. I say this every time this discussion comes up - WHO DO THEY THINK THEY'RE GONNA GET????? And don't start with the Kirby Smart comments. Georgia would be foolish to hire another unproven coordinator as head coach. Kirby Smart is in a good spot, but if you don't think Nick Saban designs and runs this defense, you're kidding yourself.
Yeah, I wouldn't say that a coach who has averaged 10 wins per year and has two SEC titles can't coach. I think that perhaps he doesn't have the same drive as he once did. Perhaps he tries to have a family life and doesn't work twenty hours a day, which shouldn't be considered a character flaw. However, his teams have played soft for a few years now, and coaching is definitely a what have you done for me lately career. He will be fine without Georgia, and Georgia will be fine without him. Let's see if he can turn things around this year. I think USC will beat them by at least ten this weekend, but UGA's schedule is pretty easy after that.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
He average 9.6 wins per year before coaches like Saban, Petrino, Spurrier, Miles, Mullen, Meyer (before he left) came on the scene. Those coaches weren't in the league when he was compiling most of his wins.

The Bulldogs have seen their win total decrease for 4 straight seasons under Richt. When the rest of the conference decided to up the ante and go after the best coaches in the business, UGA found itself in the lower half of the league in terms of coaching ability.

Sure it was easy to win 10+ games a year when you're coaching against Croom, Zook, Lou Holtz (in the twilight of his career) Shula, Nutt, etc... but it's not so easy now.
This is also a very good point. I think he is a good coach, but he isn't quite on the level of some of the others.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
He averaged 9.6 wins per year before coaches like Saban, Petrino, Spurrier, Miles, Mullen, Meyer (before he left) came on the scene. Those coaches weren't in the league when he was compiling most of his wins.

The Bulldogs have seen their win total decrease for 4 straight seasons under Richt. When the rest of the conference decided to up the ante and go after the best coaches in the business, UGA found itself in the lower half of the league in terms of coaching ability.

Sure it was easy to win 10+ games a year when you're coaching against Croom, Zook, Lou Holtz (in the twilight of his career) Shula, Nutt, Orgeron etc... but it's not so easy now.
Four years? Two years is more like it...

Georgia over the last four seasons:
2007: 11-2
2008: 10-3
2009: 8-5
2010: 6-7

That's 8.75 wins/season over the last four years and an overall win % of 67%.

I agree the fans want someone to win games, but in 2007 and 2008 Meyer, Spurrier, Miles and Saban were in the league and Richt was 21-5 (.807).

I think fans are simply reacting to 'everyone else' in the SEC winning National Championships - while Richt has done a pretty good job getting to (and winning) the SECCG, they've not played for it all under his watch.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I don't know why everyone jumps on Richt. he has averaged 9.6 wins per year at GA, and people have to remember that in the SEC, everybody can't win every game. He's just unfortunate that he plays in the same league as Alabama, LSU, Arkansas, Florida, Tennessee, and South Carolina. He's a quality individual and a smart coach, with character and integrity. I say this every time this discussion comes up - WHO DO THEY THINK THEY'RE GONNA GET????? And don't start with the Kirby Smart comments. Georgia would be foolish to hire another unproven coordinator as head coach. Kirby Smart is in a good spot, but if you don't think Nick Saban designs and runs this defense, you're kidding yourself.
averages and such can be deceiving. his/their performance in the past three years (coinciding with "the blackout" has been pretty bad and getting worse. their performance against BSU wasn't just a team that needs to iron out a few wrinkles to get everything going right. they were flat out embarrassed, and it is not the first embarrassment for them in the past couple of years.

Last edited:

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
And the "good guy" argument gets tiresome. I've heard the same things you have, as we all have. He's a great guy. How is it that the nicest & best guy in the SEC also seems to have the most guys arrested or suspended? Perception doesn't line up with reality. If he's such a good guy, how come he can't control his players better?
i get sick of it when the "hes a good guy" stuff gets thrown around to cover up for poor performance. part of it is i have been hearing this stuff in GA for years and it gets tiresome.

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL

I agree the fans want someone to win games, but in 2007 and 2008 Meyer, Spurrier, Miles and Saban were in the league and Richt was 21-5 (.807).

I think fans are simply reacting to 'everyone else' in the SEC winning National Championships - while Richt has done a pretty good job getting to (and winning) the SECCG, they've not played for it all under his watch.
True just the last 2 seasons have been bad by their standards, but it has been 4 years in a row that they've seen their win total go down (and this year could easily be a 5th.)

I'm not saying 11 or 10 wins isn't impressive. It is. But the 10 win season came with a preseason #1 ranking and the expectations of a National Title.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I'm not saying 11 or 10 wins isn't impressive. It is. But the 10 win season came with a preseason #1 ranking and the expectations of a National Title.
And as I think more about it - those teams (07 & 08) were built before CNS, Miles and Meyer were building their own powerhouses - he was able to recruit in GA almost with zero competition. Not so any more...

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
And as I think more about it - those teams (07 & 08) were built before CNS, Miles and Meyer were building their own powerhouses - he was able to recruit in GA almost with zero competition. Not so any more...
Also a good point. We've raided that state like never before, as has every other coach worth their salt.

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama
Those are good attributes.............for a preacher. And for a CFB coach too for that matter, but unfortunately they aren't enough for a CFB coach making 3.5 mil per year. He's gonna be expected to win games too, a LOT of games.

IH8Orange

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2000
Trussville, AL, USA
Redstar said:
And the "good guy" argument gets tiresome. I've heard the same things you have, as we all have. He's a great guy. How is it that the nicest & best guy in the SEC also seems to have the most guys arrested or suspended? Perception doesn't line up with reality. If he's such a good guy, how come he can't control his players better?
I think that the problem is that he's not dealing with choirboys.

He's dealing with a bunch of overindulged 18 year-olds that have typically been allowed to do what they want and haven't been made to answer for it.

Some of them need a bit firmer hand upside their head to control them. He may be just too nice.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I was just surprised to see the defense come out and play every bit as poorly as last year. There was no improvement at all and they still seemed to be making the same mistakes they did last year (blown coverage's and poor tackling).

I have to give some credit to Kellen Moore because he is a ver good QB and was able to find the open man every time, but UGA's defense looked like they didn't do anything to improve during the off-season.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
While true, there is no doubt in my mind in my mind that they were the best team in the country at the end of the 2007 season. They had some early losses early, but would have killed LSU and tOSU if UT hadn't went to the SECCG. That was the reasoning for their #1 ranking to begin the 2008 season. For whatever reason it has been downhill since 2008 season, and specifically the blackout game .

STONECOLDSABAN

All-American
Sep 21, 2007
Mobile, AL

well if you throw in 2006..when he went 7-5...it doesn't look all that great.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Some coaches just aren't good head coaches and are better Asst. Coaches. I think CMR fits that bill.

bama119

1st Team
Aug 4, 2001
Eufaula, Al.
I don't think they worried about the uniforms at all. The players & coaches didn't design them or pick them out, the UGA administration gave permission to Nike to make some changes.

Most UGA fans know have now accepted the fact that Richt needs to go. The UGA fan I know is hoping Boise & Alabama run the table so Boise can see how a "real SEC team" plays football. ;)
I agree to a point, Richt lost this team and program several years ago. No discipline at all. But how can you expect 18-22 yr. old players to have or play with any pride or desire when they look like clowns.

crimson fan man

Hall of Fame
Aug 12, 2002
Athens Al
One thing that stood out to me was the uga players were the ones getting cramps. They being in the sec should be able to over come this. I do believe that Richt said last year he is not putting his team thru two a days. This is a sign of what kind of coach he is.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.