Page 1 of 9 12345678 ... LastLast
    Recipes

DirecTV question...

This is really a football question. I've become interested in some of the NFL teams and college games I can't get and I'm fed up with Comcast to the gills, for quite a lot of reasons. What would I lose by switching to DirecTV? We're in the middle 3 acres of woods, so I may not get line of sight, but I'd like to investigate anyway...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

“I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.” Albert Camus

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame bamanut_aj's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Re: DirecTV question...

we just made the switch a couple of weeks ago, and I'll tell you, we're missing NOTHING.

I just 'assumed' that cable gave you a better picture and sound, but I've experienced just the opposite. The HD signal and sound from Direct TV is superior to what Charter gave us. I also get more HD channels than I did with Charter....FAR more.

Oh, you're interested in some NFL now? Well, sign up now and you get the NFL Ticket for FREE this year. I was sold! I don't regret moving over to Direct TV one bit, and it's gonna take some real nightmare to make me go back to cable.

edit: also get the NFL Network standard, MLB network standard, and ESPNU standard. Charter HD only gave me MLB Network as part of my package, and I watched it for an hour or two every day. Love that channel! But I also wanted ESPNU, which again, I now have.

Make sure you get local channels in your area. Click here for the Local Channels page.

trying.... to.... move.... thread....... dang, it won't let me!

BamaNation Hall of Fame DiamondDust's Avatar

Outside of losing signal due to weather or line of sight issues, I'd say jump to DirecTV. You get the Sunday Ticket package for free if you sign up, and that's a huge deal. You can also get their sports tier and have access to all the regional networks across the country.
    “We have 45 men suited up. They're all supposed to be ready to play.”

-Bill Belichick

BamaNation Hall of Fame GulfCoastTider's Avatar
    My Mood
    Ornery on TideFans.com

I've had DirecTV for 10 years and haven't looked back once. I am never going back to cable.

There are some instances when very heavy rain will interrupt the signal. But the programming choices vastly exceed anything else available and their customer service is very good.

Because I have no wire from the street to my house, when I have power I have TV after a tropical storm or hurricane passes.

Go for it. I haven't regretted it and I don't think you will, either.
    “Lamar Thomas has got it, he's on his way down the sidelines... George Teague runs him down! He took the ball away!!! HE'S GOT THE BALL!!!"

Thread deleted by SavannahDare
    Reason: Dude! Coach Saban would sooner die than tweet.

My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

We have been customers of DirecTV for 12 years and it has become far more reliable in terms of signal strength. Even with the recent tropical storm we only lost signal a few times and for only about 15 minutes at a time, during the heaviest bands. Twelve years ago, we would lose signal if a small rain shower passed through the southern skies!

We used to purchase College Game Plan when we lived in NC and IL, but we haven't needed it since moving to MS. We finally got local channels a few years ago, and that was nice, so make sure you get your local stations where you are or you will miss some games you don't want to miss.

When we saw the advertisements recently for Sunday Ticket for new customers, Robert called up and asked what they could give us for our 12 years of loyalty. After a little back and forth, we got Sunday Ticket this season for $20/month for 5 months (it's normally around $70/month for 5 months). So, as a company, we've been pleased overall with their customer service. I think the only time we had a beef with them was with one of our moves when the installation guy jerked us around in terms of scheduling and rescheduling. Other than that, it has been a good company to deal with.

So, as for football viewing, so long as you get local stations, DirecTV will give you lots of options and excellent picture quality.
    "Sometimes the juice is worth the squeeze." - Marcus Luttrell, 'Service - A Navy SEAL at War'

Quote Originally Posted by GulfCoastTider View Post
    I've had DirecTV for 10 years and haven't looked back once. I am never going back to cable.

There are some instances when very heavy rain will interrupt the signal. But the programming choices vastly exceed anything else available and their customer service is very good.

Because I have no wire from the street to my house, when I have power I have TV after a tropical storm or hurricane passes.

Go for it. I haven't regretted it and I don't think you will, either.
    The best part will not having to listen to my wife's rages each month when the Comcast bill arrives. LOS may be a problem (for me as well as our team). I have a small garage building and a sizable shop building which would have better LOS, but the first is about 70' from the house and the second around 100'. I feel sure that wouldn't be included in their free "standard" installation. When I was over in Germany in March, I noticed that their dishes are almost vertical. Now there, there should really be LOS issues...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

“I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.” Albert Camus

BamaNation First Team KentuckianaBFan's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

We signed up with Primestar in the early Nineties, and wound up with Directv when they bought out Primestar...no complaints with picture quality, service, etc. Correct posts about interruptions from rain, snow, but only very dense cells passing through--normal rain/snow hasn't affected reception.

After a long hard look, I conclude my three acres resembles a rain forest. Trees will probably have to be cut...

BamaNation Hall of Fame GulfCoastTider's Avatar
    My Mood
    Ornery on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    After a long hard look, I conclude my three acres resembles a rain forest. Trees will probably have to be cut...
    Maybe not. They have a new roof mounting system that will probably get over vegetative obstruction. If the south or west side of the structure has a roof higher than your treetops, you probably won't suffer. In my situation, they mounted the rooftop antenna on the first floor roof over the den addition. The dish looks up and over a 50' tall Live Oak in my neighbor's yard.
    “Lamar Thomas has got it, he's on his way down the sidelines... George Teague runs him down! He took the ball away!!! HE'S GOT THE BALL!!!"

Thread deleted by SavannahDare
    Reason: Dude! Coach Saban would sooner die than tweet.

BamaNation Hall of Fame RJ YellowHammer's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mellow on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    Like you Earle, I'm at my wits end with Comcast. It's been issue after issue the last 2 years and, being on the outskirts of Shelby County I've got the same LOS issue as you do. The reason I haven't switched to U-Verse already is concerns about the MPS up/down wrt to high speed internet service. I use it quite a bit all over the house.
    "This is not the end. This is the beginning." - Nick Saban, at the 2009 NC celebration at B-D.

Everyone's experiences are different, I suppose.

DirecTV is good, had it for a long time, but around here, Comcast gives a MUCH better picture and never goes out during heavy storms (which are not only common here, but one of the times I really WANT my TV signal so I can track weather).

Again, every situation is different, but you may be jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire - you couldn't PAY me to go back to DirecTV now.
    DISCLAIMER: I hereby reserve the right to discuss any game on the Alabama schedule I wish, at any time during the season, as I am not a part of the Crimson Tide football program. I am simply a fan who has no impact outside of the money I provide the athletic department via ticket and memorabilia purchases and the energy I can provide when I attend the games. ©2009-2014, crimsonaudio

Lurch Backwater!