Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    BamaNation All-American bama_fan01's Avatar

Re: DirecTV question...

We've had DirecTV for 10+ years, and the only real gripe is caused by where we live. We're right on the AL/GA line, and are considered in the Georgia viewing area...that means we get Atlanta local channels instead of Birmingham. In the past couple of years we've began receiving channel 13 (NBC) and 6 (FOX) out of Birmingham at no extra charge, so I think it's a great switch if you can get the LOS taken care of.

2. Advertisement
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Before you go considering cutting some trees, you should figure out what the average mounting position and azimuth is in your local area. You'd be surprised how good DirecTV has become in mounting at a height that can receive their satellite signal. Anyone else in your area have DirecTV? They may be able to give you an idea of if it's possible for you even before you call DirecTV.
    "Sometimes the juice is worth the squeeze." - Marcus Luttrell, 'Service - A Navy SEAL at War'

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    After a long hard look, I conclude my three acres resembles a rain forest. Trees will probably have to be cut...
    To answer your question about LOS, you'll need LOS upwards and to the southwest. The satellite that DirecTV uses is about 365 miles up and over the Gulf of Mexico, somewhere south of Texas and east of Mexico. You may have to cut some trees, but it'll be worth it IMO. And look on the bright side. You'll have plenty of firewood for the winter.
    Hard work allows you to succeed when your talent fails to work hard.

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I have NOT been impressed with DirecTV's customer service. I recently had a CSR call me, indicating that my Choice Plus package was no longer an "offered package." But for being a loyal customer, they would like to give me NFL Sunday Ticket for free along with HBO, Showtime, Cinemax and Starz for 3 months. He also said he would change my Choice Plus package to Choice Ultra and my bill would be $5 less per month. I crossed my "t's" and dotted my "i's..." I took the CSR's name, date and time we talked because it seemed too good to be true.

Well, sure enough, I got my bill and it jumped from $85 per month to $121. After calling to inquire, they said they would refund me for the "Free" HBO package AFTER my 3 month trial was up, but I had to pay for it monthly until then. After explaining the situation, they gave me an extra two months "free" on the HBO package. Come to find out. I would end up getting my refund after FIVE months now.

So beware... their "free" customer service packages aren't consistently free. They are for some people, and they rake others over the coals. Likewise, they don't give all of their customers the same "deals." Take for instance Staci and Robert. They've been with DirecTV for 12 years and had to haggle for a $20/month NFL Sunday Ticket while they called me and offered it for free. Is that fair? No.

Additionally, a co-worker of mine just signed up and he got 3 HD DVR receivers for free and when I signed up, I only got 1. I am paying a $6/month for each additional SD receiver for the other bedrooms. When I called, they want to charge me $199 EACH for the hardware (which I would lease) + installation. Then I would STILL pay a monthly lease fee for the receivers after paying the $400 to swap from SD to HD.

Bottom line is all satellite and cable companies bend you over. Consistency and fairness are a big things with me. DirecTV's picture is GREAT, but when my contract expires with them in the middle of November, I'm not sure that I will continue my service.

Oligarchies suck. And there's not much we can do about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Reb View Post
    To answer your question about LOS, you'll need LOS upwards and to the southwest. The satellite that DirecTV uses is about 365 miles up and over the Gulf of Mexico, somewhere south of Texas and east of Mexico. You may have to cut some trees, but it'll be worth it IMO. And look on the bright side. You'll have plenty of firewood for the winter.
    Some trees will have to come down. Not only are the ones close to the house really close, but the ground rises towards our neighbors to the SW, by about 10-12'. Also, our satellite dishes have to have a lower angle here, as compared to the Gulf Coast...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    Some trees will have to come down. Not only are the ones close to the house really close, but the ground rises towards our neighbors to the SW, by about 10-12'. Also, our satellite dishes have to have a lower angle here, as compared to the Gulf Coast...
    So put it on the roof. I have seen where people had their dish mounted on a pole which is secured to their chimney. There are always options.
    There's no such thing as "can't"!
    Hard work allows you to succeed when your talent fails to work hard.

BamaNation Second Team

We went to DirecTV about five years ago. Our Comcast bill kept jumping by leaps and bounds, but not our service. Comcast customer service is beyond horrible, and after getting the run around one time too many, we switched, and we'll NEVER go back to cable.

If I had a gripe with DirecTV, they tend to contact you unsolicited fairly often to step up your package, get so and so for an additional $ per month, etc. To some, that's probably not a big deal, but I find it annoying.

I think you'd be more than happy, but if not, switch back when it's all said and done.
    "Mama Called."

BamaNation Hall of Fame uafan4life's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com
    First, what are your issues with Comcast? If it's just the bill, then you need to redo your plan. Price-wise, for what you get, there's usually little difference between DirecTV and Comcast, once you factor in the cost of high speed internet and phone. Right now, in the Shoals, getting your TV, Phone, and Internet as a bundle through Comcast is the cheapest option available.

Second, there are some advantages, and disadvantages, to satellite. I've had all manner of TV service, and DirecTV is probably my favorite provider, but what I get with Comcast makes it much more desirable. No one can touch the internet speed I'm getting with Comcast. One of the big advantages with DirecTV is the NFL Sunday Ticket, especially right now since it's free, but there's a catch. From reading about it online, it looks like agreeing to it for free this season locks you into paying for it next season. So, if you're a big NFL guy and would have bought it anyway, then it's a great deal, otherwise not so much.

As for the installation, remember where the dish is pointing - at a satellite. I've seen a bunch of people with overhang problems pay hundreds of dollars to have trees cut only to have it not help because they had the wrong tree cut. The tree that was interfering with the signal was the one behind the dish, blowing over above the satellite. Check your azimith and elevation settings, and then go outside around the northern side of your house and figure out what that angle is. Odds are that you can mount the dish somewhere along the northern edge of your house without a problem. Those dishes look a lot higher up than most people think.

As for the reception issues, there is a legitimate problem there. It seemed to me that, when we had satellite, the only time we lost the signal was when we needed it to monitor the weather situation. However, it's not as bad as a lot of people make it out to be. If you lose your signal in northern Alabama more than once a month, then you've got installation issues. Most installers don't work for DirecTV; they're independent contractors. And a surprisingly large number of them do an acceptabe job at best. Try to find someone who will give you references for their installations, and don't be afraid to pay for installation. You can get it free, but sometimes you do really get what you pay for. If you've got the room, you can build protection for your satellite, protecting it from wind and rain from the west, north, and east which will pretty much guarantee that the only time you lose signal is from dense storm interference.

Like I said, though, the time you lose the signal is usually when you're watching the TV to keep an eye on the weather. However, there is a way, or two, around this. The first way, obviously, is to use an antenna for backup for local channels. There is another way, though. I can't survive on satellite internet, not the way I use it. So, even if I'm using satellite for TV, I'm wired for internet. If I could do distributed A/V with satellite the way I can with cable, then here is what I would be doing: Cable for Internet, Phone, and basic TV (like 10 channels) with DirecTV for main TV. The last time I chekced, having Comcast internet access gets you basic cable for free, which is basically your local channels and PBS, more or less.

So, the question there is, what are you going to use for your internet if you move your TV service to DirecTV?

Sent from my Asus Transformer using Tapatalk.
    I have yet to figure out why common sense and common courtesy are called common.
    - Unknown

I have never understood why it is "greed" to want to keep the money you've earned but not greed to want to take somebody else's money.
    - Thomas Sowell

Here are a couple of views to the SW...

"The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

BamaNation Second Team

Tide-HSV you will lost CSS and Z tv, I pay 9.99 a month for basic cable just to get CSS.
    I have DirecTV and it only goes out if it's a really bad storm.
    How many rooms will you have Direc in? If you don't watch out after the first year your bill will go way up.
    Going to ATT TV as soon as I can get it here.

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com
    Well, you obviously couldn't put it there without some tree work. However, what about from the northwest side of your house, mounting it along the egde of the roofline?

I have yet to figure out why common sense and common courtesy are called common.
    - Unknown

I have never understood why it is "greed" to want to keep the money you've earned but not greed to want to take somebody else's money.
    - Thomas Sowell

Quote Originally Posted by uafan4life View Post
    I just have to give you props for typing such a long (but very good) post from your phone.

Oh, never mind, just saw it's a pad. Props revoked. hahaha
    DISCLAIMER: I hereby reserve the right to discuss any game on the Alabama schedule I wish, at any time during the season, as I am not a part of the Crimson Tide football program. I am simply a fan who has no impact outside of the money I provide the athletic department via ticket and memorabilia purchases and the energy I can provide when I attend the games. 2009-2014, crimsonaudio

Lurch Backwater!

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com
    Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    I just have to give you props for typing such a long (but very good) post from your phone.
    Ah, but you see, it's not my phone. It's my Asus Transformer tablet, and I'm using the keyboard dock to type.

http://www.asus.com/Eee/Eee_Pad/Eee_...sformer_TF101/

- Unknown

- Thomas Sowell