Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    BamaNation All-American 230kv_barehand's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Re: DirecTV question...

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    We had two ten-inch snows last year...
    Its not "too" bad down here though. When it snowed here Christmas we never lost signal and at its worst it was dumped snow for a hour or so and we never lost signal. Was some of the heaviest snow I seen since '93 and the satellite stayed on. Now if the dish starts freezing up you might get sporadic coverage but we rarely lost signal at all unless the weather was bad and had heavy rain. From the pics of your house I think you will be ok with mounting on the house. To me thats better as my brother had 30' of ground rods in his yard and he kept taking lightning to his box. I told him for 3 years that he could keep driving in ground rods and it wouldnt work in saving his box and since he's had it on his house he hasnt taken a shot since.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-SEC
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Tolerant on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by kyallie View Post
    The ice and snow combined to block the signal, this happened several times last winter. It was to slippery to get to my dish, to clean it off. The dish was mounted on my fence 8 or 9 feet off the ground.
    I guess it helps when your dish is only about 5 feet off the ground. I was able to brush the snow off with my hand.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kyallie View Post
    The ice and snow combined to block the signal, this happened several times last winter. It was to slippery to get to my dish, to clean it off. The dish was mounted on my fence 8 or 9 feet off the ground.
    The front roof of our house is pretty flat, almost too flat for shingles. That side of the house is 400'+ from the street, so I keep a ladder up there on a semi-permanent basis, because I have to clean the wood stove flue several times each winter, and, of course, gutter cleaning and other chores. The snow wouldn't be so bad, although that would have been one more path I would have had to shovel out. The last really bad ice storm we had, Xmas of '98, I had to go up to set a tarp, since a red oak had plunged through the roof. That was about 1" of ice and that was no fun. I've about decided that I might make it without too much tree cutting, if I back the dish all the way back to the east end of the house, to expose as much sky as possible. Maybe then I can get over those trees, or, maybe, just cut the cherry which needs to come down anyway...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

“I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.” Albert Camus

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Big A Re: DirecTV question...

Well I hope they can get you a line of sight. I liked Direct TV, just not the weather...I need to move at least 800 miles south!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 230kv_barehand View Post
    Its not "too" bad down here though. When it snowed here Christmas we never lost signal and at its worst it was dumped snow for a hour or so and we never lost signal. Was some of the heaviest snow I seen since '93 and the satellite stayed on. Now if the dish starts freezing up you might get sporadic coverage but we rarely lost signal at all unless the weather was bad and had heavy rain. From the pics of your house I think you will be ok with mounting on the house. To me thats better as my brother had 30' of ground rods in his yard and he kept taking lightning to his box. I told him for 3 years that he could keep driving in ground rods and it wouldnt work in saving his box and since he's had it on his house he hasn''t taken a shot since.
    We were having a miserable time losing equipment until I got a lesson from a retired engineer who used to be in charge of lightning protection for the shuttle at the Cape. He convinced me that I was spending too much effort trying to intercept when I needed to give it an easier path out. He said that almost all cases of lightning damage he'd seen on residences, other than those directly striking the house, were where the ground surge was taken up by the cable company's wiring. I checked and the Comcast ground rod was about 15" long. I tied it in with heavy copper to the ground stake underneath our meter base. Knock on wood, but no problems since...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

“I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.” Albert Camus

BamaNation Hall of Fame DzynKingRTR's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Busy on TideFans.com

Ok so I am moving on Friday. In my old place I had Directv, but the apartment complex was wired for it so I did not have a dish. My new place doesn’t have that option and I have no idea which direction my new apartment faces so I cancelled the Directv. My questions are: How good is Comcast cable? Is it worth it? Other than NFL network what channels will I lose with Comcast? Should I even bother with HD or DVR? Now if my new place faces the correct direction should I just go back to Directv? I own the receivers anyway; I just have to return the cards.
    Due to the current workload, the light at the end of the tunnel will be temporarily turned off.

Suspended
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

We had two ten-inch snows last year...
    That's what she said...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
    That's what she said...
    What do you mean?

BamaNation Hall of Fame uafan4life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DzynKingRTR View Post
    Ok so I am moving on Friday. In my old place I had Directv, but the apartment complex was wired for it so I did not have a dish. My new place doesn’t have that option and I have no idea which direction my new apartment faces so I cancelled the Directv. My questions are: How good is Comcast cable? Is it worth it? Other than NFL network what channels will I lose with Comcast? Should I even bother with HD or DVR? Now if my new place faces the correct direction should I just go back to Directv? I own the receivers anyway; I just have to return the cards.
    Depends on where you're at relative to some sort of Comcast backbone. If you've got a good cable signal, then the TV and internet service you get from Comcast can't be touched by satellite. Also, you don't lose NFL Network - depending upon your TV package. One thing, though, is that the Comcast DVRs are crap. I'd recommend investing in a SiliconDust Prime CableCard network tuner or Tivo DVRs.

Sent from my HTC Droid DNA using Tapatalk 2
    I have yet to figure out why common sense and common courtesy are called common.
    - Unknown

I have never understood why it is "greed" to want to keep the money you've earned but not greed to want to take somebody else's money.
    - Thomas Sowell

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by uafan4life View Post
    Depends on where you're at relative to some sort of Comcast backbone. If you've got a good cable signal, then the TV and internet service you get from Comcast can't be touched by satellite. Also, you don't lose NFL Network - depending upon your TV package. One thing, though, is that the Comcast DVRs are crap. I'd recommend investing in a SiliconDust Prime CableCard network tuner or Tivo DVRs.

Sent from my HTC Droid DNA using Tapatalk 2
    Agree with this. If you own your own DVR, you have it if you change cable companies. If you use Comcast's, you lose your games when you change...

BamaNation All-American CHATTBRIT's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Fine on TideFans.com

Earle, I too am surround by high pine trees but my DirectTV disc was mounted on the roof so the LOS was fine -- and no, don't take this as an excuse to climb on your roof again!

I had DirectTV for ten years and switched to Comcast. How I regret that decision and in a few months my contract period will be up with Comcast, and I can go back to DirectTV.

Comcast customer service is a joke and an oxymoron. The other day I was on the phone for 46 minutes for them to figure our why my Xfinity on Demand was not working in the media room. This followed a similar time with another television which I ended up leaving unplugged for an hour or so and then it was back working. This is not customer service. When I finally get a human, the Comcast staff at the end of the phone are so heavily accented I can hardly understand them and they have difficulty with my English accent.

The one thing I really don't like is that when the system is unplugged, the program guide is eliminated and takes nearly 24 hours to get it all back again. Also, selecting a reminder for a program it just comes up on the screen. DirectTV actually changes the channel which I like.

Overall for me DirectTV is certainly worth the isolated instances the programming does down for bad weather.
    My basset hound, Henry. 10-14-1998 - 04-09-2012
    Remembering Victor Ellis #9
    I would rather burn an American flag to protect the Constitution than burn the Constitution to protect the American flag

BamaNation Second Team
    Post Thanks / Like

What do you mean?
    Not a fan of "The Office" huh?

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

I live so far out in the boonies and in a valley that no cell phones can get within 2 miles of us.
    But I do have DirecTV and have zero reception problems. That is until a strong thunderstorm comes in from the southeast, but then the issues are only temporary.
    I wish my bill was lower, but then I could cut back on the channels I receive to manage that. In short, you get what you pay for.
    Equipment- and program-wise though, I have no complaints.
    I don't know anything about the service provided by the local cable companies even thought I have investigated several over the past 15 years. From what I've determined they can't offer me anything of sufficient quality or low enough price to make me want to change.
    Until that happens, I'm a happy and loyal DirecTV customer.