Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Recipes

Re: DirecTV question...

Quote Originally Posted by CHATTBRIT View Post
    Earle, I too am surround by high pine trees but my DirectTV disc was mounted on the roof so the LOS was fine -- and no, don't take this as an excuse to climb on your roof again!

I had DirectTV for ten years and switched to Comcast. How I regret that decision and in a few months my contract period will be up with Comcast, and I can go back to DirectTV.

Comcast customer service is a joke and an oxymoron. The other day I was on the phone for 46 minutes for them to figure our why my Xfinity on Demand was not working in the media room. This followed a similar time with another television which I ended up leaving unplugged for an hour or so and then it was back working. This is not customer service. When I finally get a human, the Comcast staff at the end of the phone are so heavily accented I can hardly understand them and they have difficulty with my English accent.

The one thing I really don't like is that when the system is unplugged, the program guide is eliminated and takes nearly 24 hours to get it all back again. Also, selecting a reminder for a program it just comes up on the screen. DirectTV actually changes the channel which I like.

Overall for me DirectTV is certainly worth the isolated instances the programming does down for bad weather.
    I would need an excuse not to climb on my roof, since the woodstove pipe needs cleaning several times per winter. However, I've done it around two weeks ago, so it should be good for another three weeks. I happened to look at my house on Google Earth a few days ago and I was startled. After the bad ice storm of Xmas 1998, we cut most of the trees surrounding the house (or they just fell, sometimes on the house). Now, you can no longer see the house for the canopy at all, and it's 160' long. Comcast service is so-so around here. OTOH, our next door neighbors have DT, and have lousy reception. It's easy to see why. Their dish is pointed up into several tall trees in their backyard. They say the DT people come out promptly, but they can't do anything about it. However, DT will not let them out of their contract so they can go back to Comcast...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

2. Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by BamaMark. View Post
    Not a fan of "The Office" huh?
    Not really. I don't really watch any series TV at all. However, I'm even less a fan of a constant stream of attempts at humor in the middle of a discussion of substance. That needs to be kept to the NS forum...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

I have learned with DirectTV lately that if there is a channel that you really want that is not in your current package - you can get it added for an additional monthly fee. My wife has been hammering me about not having the Sprout network for our toddler son. I told in order to get the channel we would have to upgrade to the premium package - which was I wasnt willing to pay an extra $30-$40 per month, whatever it was to do that. My wife wasnt satisfied with that answer at all - our son was going to have the Sprout channel one way or the other. Apparently she called up DirectTV and they added Sprout to our channel line up for an additional $5 per month. Secretly, I am not happy about paying that much for one channel but obviously you pick your battles...

BamaNation First Team Im_on_dsp's Avatar

I've been a Comcast customer for over 25 years. Notice I didn't say "happy" customer. My problem is that I work at home a lot, so I need super fast internet and you just can't touch cable speeds with DSL. I can't get the new Verizon fiber service where I live so I'm stuck with Comcast. I've thought about switching to DirecTV a number of times, just for the TV part of my service, but have never pulled the trigger. I'm about to look into that now that the "promotional price" I was paying for my cable package has expired. I really, really hate the whole thing. Why can't they just offer a fair price without all the promotional gimmicks to get you to switch?

Quote Originally Posted by Im_on_dsp View Post
    I've been a Comcast customer for over 25 years. Notice I didn't say "happy" customer. My problem is that I work at home a lot, so I need super fast internet and you just can't touch cable speeds with DSL. I can't get the new Verizon fiber service where I live so I'm stuck with Comcast. I've thought about switching to DirecTV a number of times, just for the TV part of my service, but have never pulled the trigger. I'm about to look into that now that the "promotional price" I was paying for my cable package has expired. I really, really hate the whole thing. Why can't they just offer a fair price without all the promotional gimmicks to get you to switch?
    That's bad, but what really sets me (and my wife even more) off is "statement creep." Suddenly something that was billed at $5 for years is now $7.50...

BamaNation First Team BayouBama75's Avatar
    My Mood
    Pensive on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Im_on_dsp View Post
    I have had DT for 10 years and I have Charter for my Internet That has worked good but I probably pay a few more $$$ than if I bundled on Charter
    Last edited by BayouBama75; January 31st, 2013 at 06:53 PM. Reason: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by BayouBama75 View Post
    I have had DT for 10 years and I have Charter for my Internet That has worked good but I probably pay a few more $$$ than if I bundled on Charter
    If you split off TV from internet with Comcast, you immediately incur a $15 per month surcharge...

BamaNation All-American 230kv_barehand's Avatar
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by BayouBama75 View Post
    Perfect combo IMHO, until I moved back up here to Dega this Charter Internet here SUCKS! If they ever get that fixed I'll be in Heaven.

I have been looking into increasing my cell data plan with AT&T and getting a Mifi hotspot. My wife and I are not heavy internet users at home - I have demoed the hotspot during the introductory period and it works pretty well - speed included - 4G speed. Plus I can take it to the beach. Based on my math, I think it would be cheaper for me to do this and go with DirectTV. Based on the pricing I have seen something tells me internet access is fixing to go cellular and start getting cheaper due to increased competition. If AT&T and Verizon are successful in pulling home users over to their wireless service then I think Charter and Comcast will have to reduce rates.
    Last edited by JDCrimson; January 31st, 2013 at 09:02 PM.

BamaNation All-American
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I've used Direct TV since their very beginning.
    I was fed up with poor service and price increases every 6 months on Comcast.

The first thing I saw was clearer pictures... I was hooked on DTV.
    (Despite their adds... Dish isn't really in competition with DTV.)

I even have a DTV Satellite Hook-up for my camper that I made. Works great... Cost less than $50 including a tripod...
    Heck, I get local channels if I'm camped within about 250 miles of my house
    (Boredom, and different cable at different campgrounds sent me scrambling for sameness...)
    I don't miss many games...

Downside of DTV is there is sometimes a loss of reception during major heavy thunderstorms.
    Thing is I normally turn my TV off when lightening starts popping anyway.

As far as receiving a signal. I've used my homemade sat. receiver at Guntersville State Park,
    (Pre-Tornado) under a heavy canopy of tall Pine trees.
    (I kind of lined up my sat. thru holes in the canopy and it worked)
    Last edited by Ole Man Dan; January 31st, 2013 at 11:20 PM. Reason: format

BamaNation All-American
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by JDCrimson View Post
    I have been looking into increasing my cell data plan with AT&T and getting a Mifi hotspot. My wife and I are not heavy internet users at home - I have demoed the hotspot during the introductory period and it works pretty well - speed included - 4G speed. Plus I can take it to the beach. Based on my math, I think it would be cheaper for me to do this and go with DirectTV. Based on the pricing I have seen something tells me internet access is fixing to go cellular and start getting cheaper due to increased competition. If AT&T and Verizon are successful in pulling home users over to their wireless service then I think Charter and Comcast will have to reduce rates.
    I added a WIFI made for large areas to my old computer at home, and as a result I use no data for my new 'Laptop', or our two Droid smart phones, anywhere on our property.
    Our 4G signal isn't the best in the world, but my WIFI is free and has a much better signal.
    A mobile 'Hot Spot' works for a camper. My 4 Gig. Verision plan doesn't use much more data
    than 1 Gig now. (Got to love technology)
    Checking around, I'm finding free WIFI most everywhere I go.
    City Halls, Hospitals, Schools, Office Bldgs. and now more and more restaurants have WIFI.
    Last edited by Ole Man Dan; January 31st, 2013 at 11:41 PM. Reason: format

BamaNation All-American CHATTBRIT's Avatar
    My Mood
    Fine on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    If you split off TV from internet with Comcast, you immediately incur a $15 per month surcharge...
    Earle, when I had Direct TV I had Comcast internet for the speed for business and personal use. The reason I changed to Comcast was an economic one at the time as I had had a reduction in my part time job. Things have changed for the better now thanks to my Deutsche Rentenversicherung coming through so I will be back with Direct TV in the fall.
    My basset hound, Henry. 10-14-1998 - 04-09-2012
    Remembering Victor Ellis #9
    I would rather burn an American flag to protect the Constitution than burn the Constitution to protect the American flag

Quote Originally Posted by CHATTBRIT View Post
    Earle, when I had Direct TV I had Comcast internet for the speed for business and personal use. The reason I changed to Comcast was an economic one at the time as I had had a reduction in my part time job. Things have changed for the better now thanks to my Deutsche Rentenversicherung coming through so I will be back with Direct TV in the fall.
    How long did you work in Germany?