Question: DirecTV question...

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
I've used Direct TV since their very beginning.
I was fed up with poor service and price increases every 6 months on Comcast.

The first thing I saw was clearer pictures... I was hooked on DTV.
(Despite their adds... Dish isn't really in competition with DTV.)

I even have a DTV Satellite Hook-up for my camper that I made. Works great... Cost less than $50 including a tripod...
Heck, I get local channels if I'm camped within about 250 miles of my house
(Boredom, and different cable at different campgrounds sent me scrambling for sameness...)
I don't miss many games...

Downside of DTV is there is sometimes a loss of reception during major heavy thunderstorms.
Thing is I normally turn my TV off when lightening starts popping anyway.

As far as receiving a signal. I've used my homemade sat. receiver at Guntersville State Park,
(Pre-Tornado) under a heavy canopy of tall Pine trees.
(I kind of lined up my sat. thru holes in the canopy and it worked)

Last edited:

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
I have been looking into increasing my cell data plan with AT&T and getting a Mifi hotspot. My wife and I are not heavy internet users at home - I have demoed the hotspot during the introductory period and it works pretty well - speed included - 4G speed. Plus I can take it to the beach. Based on my math, I think it would be cheaper for me to do this and go with DirectTV. Based on the pricing I have seen something tells me internet access is fixing to go cellular and start getting cheaper due to increased competition. If AT&T and Verizon are successful in pulling home users over to their wireless service then I think Charter and Comcast will have to reduce rates.
I added a WIFI made for large areas to my old computer at home, and as a result I use no data for my new 'Laptop', or our two Droid smart phones, anywhere on our property.
Our 4G signal isn't the best in the world, but my WIFI is free and has a much better signal.
A mobile 'Hot Spot' works for a camper. My 4 Gig. Verision plan doesn't use much more data
than 1 Gig now. (Got to love technology)
Checking around, I'm finding free WIFI most everywhere I go.
City Halls, Hospitals, Schools, Office Bldgs. and now more and more restaurants have WIFI.

Last edited:

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN
If you split off TV from internet with Comcast, you immediately incur a $15 per month surcharge...
Earle, when I had Direct TV I had Comcast internet for the speed for business and personal use. The reason I changed to Comcast was an economic one at the time as I had had a reduction in my part time job. Things have changed for the better now thanks to my Deutsche Rentenversicherung coming through so I will be back with Direct TV in the fall.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Earle, when I had Direct TV I had Comcast internet for the speed for business and personal use. The reason I changed to Comcast was an economic one at the time as I had had a reduction in my part time job. Things have changed for the better now thanks to my Deutsche Rentenversicherung coming through so I will be back with Direct TV in the fall.
How long did you work in Germany?

Tide Rev

All-American
Mar 22, 2000
Ocean Springs, MS
We have just switched 2 weeks ago from Comcast to DirecTv. We are happy with the switch. The picture and the sound is so much better that it is ridiculous. We have internet through Comcast still because that is our only option really. If what has happened so far continues, we will not go back to cable.

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
Hey Boss. We changed to DTV in July and have never regretted it. I miss my local weather the way it was on the weather channel, but in fact get the full time local weather channel here just over the air. Otherwise, the picture is better, the sound is better, and they are much friendlier and much cheaper. Even with the up charge because I stayed with Comcast for internet (about which I only say good things) we saved a bundle. Our pine trees are back at the edge of the property line, so I can't speak to that. We have short outages in major downpours and never for more than 15 minutes. Note this is not in your average rain shower; it takes a pretty big storm. Also, the we got the DVR for free with our package, can watch it all over the house, which is nice. Also, before you hook up, if you do, get someone's account number, you and they get $10 off for the first 10 months for the referral.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Hey Boss. We changed to DTV in July and have never regretted it. I miss my local weather the way it was on the weather channel, but in fact get the full time local weather channel here just over the air. Otherwise, the picture is better, the sound is better, and they are much friendlier and much cheaper. Even with the up charge because I stayed with Comcast for internet (about which I only say good things) we saved a bundle. Our pine trees are back at the edge of the property line, so I can't speak to that. We have short outages in major downpours and never for more than 15 minutes. Note this is not in your average rain shower; it takes a pretty big storm. Also, the we got the DVR for free with our package, can watch it all over the house, which is nice. Also, before you hook up, if you do, get someone's account number, you and they get $10 off for the first 10 months for the referral.
If I go with DTV, I would have to keep Comcast for internet. I need the speed and DSL doesn't even come close (have it at my office). I do have another cable choice here - Knology - but they seem to have more trouble than Comcast. Also, I've been with Comcast so long, in fact when it was part of the @Home consortium, that my email is just eself@comcast.net. It's easy to remember and thousands of people know it. I wouldn't want to think about changing that...

UnNFormedFan

Scout Team
Dec 22, 2009
Mobile
I have had Directtv for several years and I upgraded to HD just a few months back. Living in Mobile we have lots of thunderstorms and cloud cover. I have had very little problems with the loss of reception as their dishes are much better at seeing "thru" the cloud cover. I do not regret my decision to change at all. Not to mention, Comcast really wet in my cheerios so I wouldn't go back to them on a bet.

Last edited:

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
I switched to DirectTV about 6 months ago. Better picture--1080i. Much more HD. Signal goes out for maybe 60 seconds in a heavy storm. My lot is heavily wooded. But they found a place to peek thru the trees.

I used Dr. Eddies Stereo in Hampton Cove who is an authorized Direct TV and Dish Network dealer. Very convenient and professional. I got the Choice Extra package for $68 a month for the first year. 4 receivers plus DVR. I recommend Direct TV.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
I had a terrible experience with DirecTV & will never use them again but everyone else I know that has had it has loved it.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I switched to DirectTV about 6 months ago. Better picture--1080i. Much more HD. Signal goes out for maybe 60 seconds in a heavy storm. My lot is heavily wooded. But they found a place to peek thru the trees.

I used Dr. Eddies Stereo in Hampton Cove who is an authorized Direct TV and Dish Network dealer. Very convenient and professional. I got the Choice Extra package for $68 a month for the first year. 4 receivers plus DVR. I recommend Direct TV.
I don't have a hole to shoot through. I've shot all the pertinent satellites. I have a big cherry tree, about 27"-28" through at the base which needs to come down anyway. That would give me an opening through to the SW, which is what I need...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.