RIP Borders

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
The Borders down the road from my house is all but picked clean. I went there again this weekend (everything 90% off) and picked up a stack of hardbacks (from James Ellroy to histories of Rome and Pirates to biograhies to economics books) for a couple of bucks each. In spite of my good finds, I admit to being saddened by the scene: few books left, fewer tables and bookshelves left. Everything was being dumped for pennies on the dollar. :frown:

BamaAlum97

1st Team
Dec 13, 2002
Tulsa, OK
Both Borders in Tulsa shut down in the Spring. I was pretty bummed. Luckily we still have a Barnes and Nobles in town.

I am afraid we will see more of this e-readers become more popular.

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
Yep, and they just can't compete with Amazon. I checked Borders online yesterday and their prices are still 20% +/- higher than Amazon. Plus Amazon sells just about everything else. Borders just had an outdated business plan that they couldn't modernize in time.

RogueElephant

All-American
Mar 15, 2007
Los Angeles
I'm a Barnes and Noble guy but hate to see any bookstore close down. Regretfully the E-readers Nook, Kindle will likely take over from paper books sadly.

KrimsonNinja

All-SEC
Apr 22, 2009
Florida
The Borders in my location shut down as well. I thought it was just down here, but I guess not. Everything was 30-60% off and I got 7 books for about 65 dollars before they closed down.

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
I hate to see bookstores closing but after working for a major chain for years I can understand why. Bottom line, it's a business and they can't compete with deep discounts and used book prices that are available at places like Amazon. I do most of my purchases on-line, but I still enjoy going to the local bookstore and browsing the shelves.

The advancement of ebook technology has also had a big impact. We're a society that thrives on instant gratification. "Download it now and start reading in seconds..."

Of course, as an author I'm loving the impact of ebooks on the marketplace. I'm able to publish my novels for very little cost and I have complete control over the content. I'm also able to publish my father's books that are out of print. Now a whole new generation of readers is discovering his work. It's pretty cool.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.