News Article: apparently AJ must have stolen this writers girlfriend or something LOL

Rattlehead82

1st Team
Feb 3, 2008
Pace, FL
My friend sent me that link last night. Completely stupid article. He calls AJ our "glaring weakness" but I have seen no good evidence to support that claim. He doesn't give AJ credit for the 3 check downs to Trent and doesn't give him credit for the TD we got from the fake FG. Since when do passes to the RB and passes out from a fake not count as a good play by the QB? The throw to Williams was perfect.

I know AJ hasn't proven that he can bring us back from a late deficit, but he hasn't had to; and I hope he never does have to. I tell you what though, I have confidence in him to pull off such a victory.

Aledinho

All-SEC
Feb 22, 2007
Judging by the picture, the writer may have been watching Missouri State play Arkansas.

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
Chuckle.

This is AJ's 3rd season in the system. Didn't many writers have the same opinion of G-Mac 4 games into the 2009 campaign?

Overrated receivers? Seriously? Whatever... Are the Arkansas receivers underrated?

Long story short............. You don't break out the 3/4" impact wrench until the big truck pulls onto the lot.

RTR!!!

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011
The guy evidently didn't watch the game. A J made some very good throws. You don't need to throw a lot when you have Richardson and Lacey. The big glaring weakness were the short kicks that allowed the Hogs to start their drives from the 35-40 yard line.

OpsCon

BamaNation Citizen
Mar 1, 2011
Is AJ the glaring weakness when considering the starting O and D? Possibly. But a millionaire is also poor when compared to a billionaire. He is, outside of our atrocious (at times) kicking game, most likely the limiting factor on the team to this point. But to declare Bama "in trouble" based on AJ is a terrible, terrible assertion based on a game where he had a 75% completion rate, threw for 200 yds with 2 TDs and no picks.If you have a problem with him flawlessly executing screen passes (ok, maybe not flawlessly but they worked), crossing routes, and slants, you have a problem with Bama's OC and Saban's offensive philosophy, not the QB. The writer has likely covered too many Big 9, PAC 12 games where the QB has 10 seconds to throw against average secondaries.

skipster63

All-SEC
Nov 5, 2010
Buchanan Dam
I think it is important to remember that there is a thin line between a very good QB play and a very bad QB play. That toss pass to Richardson went right through the hands of an Arkansas player. The TD toss against Penn State in the end zone was in an extremely tight window. Both were great tosses based on the end result. I am not saying A.J. is a great quarterback by any means. But I have been impressed with his progress. To say that he is a yellow caution like is a bit over dramatic. Saban is not going to ask A.J. to win a game for them right now. He is going to bring him along slowly. Sad to say that the first comment in that article is a distant relative of mine agreeing with the guy. Ugh.

WildTusk

BamaNation Citizen
Aug 26, 2009
Although the article is slanted, there is a core of truth to what he is saying and I had a similar impression after watching the game. McCarron is really throttled down by the offensive scheme. On those occasions he is unthrottled he has shown a propensity to throw or almost throw interceptions. Saban's also said Bama needs to learn to pass during his exit interview after the game. Get ready for 9 in the box until we learn to pass.

cindym

All-SEC
Oct 14, 2009
saraland, al
Seriously? That guy is a nut. He obviously wasn't watching the same game we were. Poor little man,he has to imagine things to write a bad story. Oh, well if thats his opinion so be it. I have a feeling though if he writes like that he won't be writing for long. I thought aj was calm and did well under pressure he improvised some but isn't that what we want to see from him? Instead of him trying to run like a scared chicken? Having said this, I do believe he will work on his touch passes and we will be just fine. rtr tide fans !!!!! It sure is nice waking up this morning being a fan!!!!!!!!!

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
Although the article is slanted, there is a core of truth to what he is saying and I had a similar impression after watching the game. McCarron is really throttled down by the offensive scheme. On those occasions he is unthrottled he has shown a propensity to throw or almost throw interceptions. Saban's also said Bama needs to learn to pass during his exit interview after the game. Get ready for 9 in the box until we learn to pass.
Not gonna argue or debate your post. Just make a comment. The offense was as balanced as it could possibly be yesterday. Postgame show I heard, if I remember correctly, we had less than 10 yard differential passing to rushing. With risk comes reward. We've performed as needed on offense with a "run first" attack and excelled on defense. 2009 ring a bell?

RTR!!!

RTR!!!

SavannahDare

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Gulf Breeze, Florida
We ran twice as much as we threw yesterday, which is not generally how CNS likes to do it. There were several reasons for that, as I see it:

1. You've got to stick with what's working. If your run game is hot (whether it's because of your offense's proficiency or the defense's weaknesses, or both), stick with the hot runner and the hot plays.

2. AJ is still coming along, but he "ain't there" yet. In case any of you haven't noticed, CNS has said repeatedly that the #1 QB position is still up for competition. I believe that's because AJ, unlike GMac, needs that push from the guy behind him. Maybe he's not got the type of personality to take the mantle of responsibility without competition. Maybe he makes too many mistakes if given too much rein. Whatever the reason CNS has decided to not officially name him as the #1 guy, you can bet CNS has a darn good reason, or set of reasons, and right now it's working. AJ impressed me yesterday. Yes, you can see the lack of experience under the surface. That's okay and it will dissolve over time.

People were saying early on in 2009 that we couldn't go all the way with GMac at QB - that he just wasn't talented enough. Well, what we saw was a young man with plenty of talent, a whole lot of maturity, and even more intelligence and leadership ability, and that combo helped us go all the way.

I don't know if AJ has all those intangibles so many believe you must have in your QB to win it all, but what I've seen so far makes me believe he has enough. If he keeps pushing himself, and being pushed by Sims and the coaching staff, he could flourish into something very special. Only time will tell.

buzzincuzzin

All-American
Jan 8, 2006
I guess he would be the "glaring weakness" standing between Richardson, Lacey, and Maze given their overall effectiveness. Tuff crowd if you need to be T.H.E. big dog huh?

patriot34

Scout Team
Oct 27, 2009
Trussvegas
You don't break out the 3/4" impact wrench until the big truck pulls onto the lot.
Nice! It doesn't take a genius to see that AJ has done an excellent job thus far. He's had to share snaps with another QB, been in a hostile environment, faced an SEC defense, and he has passed every test. No, he's not a perfect QB, but he's undefeated as a starter and he's outperformed every QB he's faced so far. I'd take undefeated over perfect any day. :BigA:

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
I liked this comment on the article:

Really? You are a moron. McCarron went 15 for 20...200 yards....2 TD's and no INT's. Real life is not a video game, dummy.

I recall this same stuff being said about GMAC & Jay Barker. Both WON big games for us with their individual performance & leadership.

I see the same in AJ he will be the reason one Sunday we are talking about the only way we won that game was because of his smart play & leadership. He is way ahead of GMAC & I thout he was the best.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.