LSU is #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TideFactor

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 26, 2009
I think LSU is a very good team, but I don't think they have much of a chance of beating Bama. Yes, LSU's schedule is tough this year, and so far, it's been as tough as anyone based on today's rankings. However, when you look at it a little deeper, I don't think it's that impressive.

Oregon - Oregon is a very good team in the PAC 12, but that doesn't mean much to me. Since 2008, Oregon has played 5 Ranked Non-Conference Teams and there offense went from 47 (roughly) pts per game to about 22. Those teams were Boise, Ohio State, LSU, Auburn and someone else. Good win, but Oregon can't play anyone well outside of the PAC 12.

Miss St - I think we all thought Miss State was going to be a pretty formidable team this year. However, after 10 days to prepare and having to go to OT to beat La Tech, I'm not that impressed. They pounded Memphis in Week 1, but Memphis was beaten 42-0 at HOME by SMU yesterday! SMU!!!

West Virginia - Once again, possibly a good team, but I'm not sure. WV beat Maryland by 6 last week at Maryland. This week, Temple played at Maryland and beat them 38-7 and was up 38-0... Not to mention, WV put up 450 yds passing on LSU.

So, is LSU's 4-0 start impressive? Sure. But to say it's #1 worthy is nonsense. We'll know more about how good LSU is after they play Florida and we can compare that to how Bama plays Florida. Until then, LSU is a Solid Top 5 team in a year of College Football with very few teams that are Elite.

Roll Tide

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Re: LSU is Very Good, but not buying the #1 Hype Quite Yet...

I think they have shown more against better competition than any other team in the land. I could certainly understand why some writers might put them number one. As far as comparing them to us, it really doesn't matter because we will play them on the field to decide which team is better.

RollTideMustang

3rd Team
Aug 27, 2011
Killen, Alabama
www.myyearbook.com

I watched some of the LSU & WV game & I did hear of what the football announcers said that LSU should be #1. I am like Oh,wow! Really? Alabama beat a ranked team as well just whipped HOGS but do not mention Alabama in the mix. The way I was hearing the Announcers that LSU #1 Okl #2 Bama #3? What? Okl beat Mizou by 10 pts. I will be shocked if the AP Poll show Alabama #3 again.

tungi01

1st Team
Apr 17, 2010
Dallas, TX

To be honest, I would rather be "ranked" #3 now. The spotlight is already on Alabama and we usually get everyone's best shot when we play them. Whenever someone plays the #1 ranked team in the land, they are usually that much more amped up. I'm more than content to stay @ #3 for right now. Let them place LSU @ number 1, I for one think they deserve it. We will settle it on the field when they come to BDS. RTR!!

Crimson Cat

FB Moderator
Nov 26, 2006
Alabama

I'm in agreement for the most part, I think the jury is still out on how good LSU's schedule is, same as it is for everbody else. I would argue MSU is not a TOP quality team, LSU didn't exactly light them up, which puts them at playing two quality teams, imo in Oregon & WVU. MSU struggled to beat LaTech only beating them in O/T for pete's sake. I do think OU & Bama's schedule is similar thus far, with FSU losing to Clemson yesterday.
If jawing & taunting other teams were a factor in the rankings somehow, LSU would own #1, because they seem to be doing that very well.
Still a long season to go and right now though and rankings is what it's based on; LSU is most deserving of the #1 spot, imo, I'm okay with it.

Edit: actually in looking at OU's schedule, Bama & LSU have both played four games to OU's 3; OU had an off-week 2nd week of the season...so it should be 1. LSU 2. Bama 3. OU, for now.
Upcoming games: OU plays Ball St. next weekend, LSU plays Kentucky, and Bama plays UF.

Last edited:

RollTideMang

All-American
Oct 16, 2009
St. Louis, MO

To be honest, I would rather be "ranked" #3 now. The spotlight is already on Alabama and we usually get everyone's best shot when we play them. Whenever someone plays the #1 ranked team in the land, they are usually that much more amped up. I'm more than content to stay @ #3 for right now. Let them place LSU @ number 1, I for one think they deserve it. We will settle it on the field when they come to BDS. RTR!!
You're getting your wish. LSU has taken #1, OU at 2, and Bama at 3.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/rankings/ap

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL

Only time a #1 ranking matters is at the end of the season. You don't get a ring for being #1 after Week 4. It'll play itself out.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama

Based strictly on the first four weeks and the quality of opponents played I would rank LSU #1.

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN

I see no reason to discredit lsu for the way they've performed so far. They're as deserving of the #1 spot as some say we would be, and more deserving than oklahoma, IMO.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

If LSU is number one by virtue of who they've played, how in the world is OU ranked ahead of us? We've played more games, we've beaten our opponents by more, and we found out yesterday OUs only decent foe - who they had an extra week for - isn't a national title contender anyway. In fact, one can argue if schedule means anything that Clemson should be ahead of OU since they played FSU on top of ending a 17-game winning streak.

That's the problemmwitj polls. If schedule does not matter then OU should keep the ranking; if it dies then Clemson should be ahead of both OU and Boise.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

LSU has probably done the most so far. Like others have said, it doesn't really matter though. November 5 will probably be the day that decides who is the best team in the nation. There shouldn't have been polls until this week or next IMO.

skrayper77

All-American
Sep 4, 2003

If we beat Florida by a decent bit, we'll jump probably as well... and in the long run, it doesn't matter. We play LSU, so regardless of who is ranked higher, both teams control their own destinies.

RollTideMang

All-American
Oct 16, 2009
St. Louis, MO

I just hope we are ranked #1 going to the BCS game. I'd feel better about wearing Crimson than White.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Re: LSU new number 1 in AP

It doesn't really matter at this point. November 5 will be the day that decides the best team in the nation.

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama

LSU deserves some credit for taking the risk to schedule two tough out of conference game. They will play the same teams we will so it will not get any easier in conference. One good thing not hard for their players to get fired up for the good teams. They seem to struggle more against the Troys of the world and other teams you would assume would be a easy victory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.