Sat will be my 1st time to visit "The Swamp"...

GQ in Kosy

Aug 28, 2003
Kosciusko, MS USA
Taking my 13 yr old daughter and we are very excited! Do any of you have any previous experiences (good or bad) to share? Not sure about parking so I think I'm gonna park at The Oaks Mall by I-75 and ride the shuttle to the stadium. Also, are there any "must see" things/traditions around the campus? Thanks for you input. Roll Tide!!!

GQ in Kosy

Aug 28, 2003
Kosciusko, MS USA
Re: Sat will be my 1st time to viisit "The Swamp"...

You're probably right, but as often as I have posted in the last 8 years:smile: I thought i would take my chances with the folks i trust rather than sign up for a new message board. A little lazy on my behalf i suppose

SavannahDare

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Gulf Breeze, Florida

You're probably right, but as often as I have posted in the last 8 years:smile: I thought i would take my chances with the folks i trust rather than sign up for a new message board. A little lazy on my behalf i suppose
I'm sure someone will come along eventually to help you out. It's been many years since I went to the swamp, so I wouldn't even know where to start other than to tell you that Gator fans are horribly obnoxious and generally poor winners and worse losers. Be safe and enjoy.

Last edited:

derek4tide

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2005
Daphne, AL

The mall or any of the other spots on the route. I would get there as early as possible. I-75 will get ugly before and after the game. I would stay at the stadium as long as possible. There are several things to see around Florida Field (statues and what not). Their campus is nice and plenty to see (48,000 students), but not as nice as the Capstone. Get ready to be razzed, cussed at, jeered, made fun of, and the like. They have plenty of *U type fans (think barn, ut, lsu) that are easy to spot in their jorts. Here is some general info:

Game Day Shuttle Information
Utilize the RTS Shuttle service to avoid the limited parking on campus on game days. Park at one of six convenient locations around Gainesville for a quick ride to the game: The Oaks Mall, Hilton University of Florida Conference Center, The Village Center in Haile Plantation, Tioga Town Center, Downtown Parking Garage, and Garage IX (ADA) at the intersection of Lemerand Dr. and Archer Rd. The RTS Shuttle service costs $10/game or $50/season; which includes Gator Growl. Service is offered from 3 hours before the game until kickoff, with return shuttles beginning in the 4th quarter. For more information, call 352-334-2600 or visit go-rts.com.

CrimsonDollar

1st Team
Apr 9, 2006
Chattanooga, TN

I'm sure someone will come along eventually to help you out. It's been many years since I went to the swamp, so I wouldn't even know where to start other than to tell you that Gator fans are horribly obnoxious and generally poor winners and worse winners. Be safe and enjoy.
Goodness. Hate to see what happens if they lose... :biggrin:

derek4tide

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2005
Daphne, AL

Goodness. Hate to see what happens if they lose... :biggrin:
They are beyond suck. My wife is a classy gator grad (very few left), who has friends that are all this way. They have invited me to watch the game with all of them....I said no. Been there, done that. Staci is right, they are awful losers and worse winners.

Vinny

Hall of Fame
Sep 27, 2001
Rockaway, NJ

Taking my 13 yr old daughter and we are very excited! Do any of you have any previous experiences (good or bad) to share? Not sure about parking so I think I'm gonna park at The Oaks Mall by I-75 and ride the shuttle to the stadium. Also, are there any "must see" things/traditions around the campus? Thanks for you input. Roll Tide!!!
That sounds about right. We took a detour on our way to Orlando last September and the stadium is not too far off of I 75. Look out for the giant gator! They do have a strip with some bars and resturnats on the same road the stadium is on. Good luck and be safe as most of their fan base are not too friendly. It's not going to be like a trip to Happy Valley if you went there a few weeks ago.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

They are beyond suck. My wife is a classy gator grad (very few left), who has friends that are all this way. They have invited me to watch the game with all of them....I said no. Been there, done that. Staci is right, they are awful losers and worse winners.
If Alabama can have a similar game against them as the last 2 went, most of their fans will be gone by the end of the 3rd quarter.

Vinny

Hall of Fame
Sep 27, 2001
Rockaway, NJ

I hear some Florida fans like running Bama folks off of the road. I know folks that this has happended to. Be careful down there and have don't venture anywhere alone.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

My one and only trip to Gainsville was in 1979 as a teenager. We were very good (N.C.) and Florida was very bad. We won 40-0. We were in the Alabama section and got constantly bombarded by little flying frisbees that were the tops to the soft drinks they served. The silver lining was as a teenager I noticed some incredibly beautiful co-eds!

Zorak

All-American
Jan 8, 2010
Orlando, FL (Winter Park area)

Be sure to do this pose on the Bull Gator out front of the stadium:

(This was me in May 2010 while visiting my then future in-laws who live in Gainesville. I imagine you'd get more hostile looks on a gameday than the day I posed for this picture).

In all fairness, I have only been to one game at The Swamp (2009's FIU game, won by the Gators 63-3). And I was incognito, except for my watch. I did strike up a conversation with someone in the concession line, unbeknownst to them I am a Bama fan, "I'm really worried about Bama. Good as we are, I don't think we're going to beat their 'D'".

Last edited:

rizolltizide

Hall of Fame
Jan 4, 2003
st pete, fl

If you happen on some of the older gator faithful, they're typically a pretty decent bunch. It's the under 40 crowd that you've got to watch out for, although the last few years have humbled them ever so slightly. It's a very nouveau riche crowd so don't expect a lot of "act like you've been there before". I'll echo Doc's sentiments as a sweeping generalization.

Oh, and there are a lot of hot chicks. So at least they've got that going for them, which is nice. ;)

DCG8tor

Sep 25, 2011
Welcome!

Welcome to the Swamp. Taking the shuttle is generally a good idea, but even the shuttle will be stuck in traffic for a while unless you leave early or very late. There are some good things to see around the stadium, like the statues and the sports center. You can stop by the Swamp restaurant, but most of the bars are not entirely kid friendly. If you get there early, you can check out some of the campus, which is pretty nice to the South and East of the stadium.

You generally won't get too razzed around the stadium, although there are jerks in every fan base, but you will get razzed walking along University by the student getto. It's generally a pastime of the student who live there to sit on the lawn and talk smack with the opposing fans. Good luck and I hope your family enjoys the game (other than the score).

BornCRIMSON

1st Team
Sep 28, 2009
Trussville ALABAMA
Re: Welcome!

My inlaws are both Florida alumni in 1991 they yook my wife and I to the Bama, Fla. game at the swamp. My father in law is a season ticket holder and has box seats, you can imagine how that went over, Bama fans in box seats at the swamp. Florida beat us 35-0 and you would have thought we had just violated their mother.

ROLL TIDE!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.