Question: Is this the best D in memory?

RIP Jumbo Pkg

1st Team
Oct 4, 2010
Prattville, AL
The way these guys are playing is ridiculous. Front to back aggression. Add to that the fact that they are 3 deep at most positions. These guys are scary good, and I seriously think that they'd be very competitive at the NFL level.

If I had to nitpick there is only 2 "issues" that I can possibly come up with. 1) we lack the large two gap NT that we had in Cody. Even though it hasn't affected the run defense, I just feel if we had that guy it could possibly free up some pass rush lanes for the other guys on 1st and 2nd down. 2) we may need a little, and I mean very little, work on defending the deep ball 1 on 1 while playing press coverage. Dre didn't get a jam on that WR comming off the LOS on that bomb and he also didn't get a hand on him on that near TD pass in the back corner of the endzone.

Miami has had some good D in the 90's, USC had a couple of years when they were stacked, LSU has had some good ones recently, then there is the 92 bama D. Seriously, who compares? Front to back is this the best college defense in recent memory?:BigA:

#1sabanite

3rd Team
Sep 14, 2008
i think the only thing that 92 had over these guys is Curry/Copeland at each end

those guys were a tremendous pass rush, with that being said, i dont think that there is much difference overall between them

they are very good, well coached and scary fast , plus they do something most of the times i think everyone else has forgotten
wrap up when you tackle

chuaner

Scout Team
Aug 26, 2008
I won't blame dre roo much. If you give qb some time to through, he will always be able to find an open receiver.

bamaee04

All-SEC
Nov 15, 2004
Birmingham, AL
I think they are better than '09, but I can't put them there with '92 just yet. If they end up bringing #14 home, they will be on par with '92 in my opinion and based on the results could be even better. I didn't see any of the other mighty Bama D's way back in the day, but I honestly don't think many of them could compete athletically with many of the teams today. I think '92 could play with anybody...even today. Good thought and scary to even be in the position to make the comparison. RTR!!

Honestly, we got beat on one play tonite. So what if it is the first play of the game? These guys compete on every play and it is as good as I have ever seen. Dre got beat on a go route on the first play of the game, when he thought he had safety help over the top. Sure, it was a TD, but I'd rather give up one play here and there than to give up a 10 play sustained drive.

RIP Jumbo Pkg

1st Team
Oct 4, 2010
Prattville, AL
I just want to clear up that I'm not knocking Dre, he is awesome. Oyster is right about the safety help, Lester got caught peeking into the backfield a bit. Dre still should've disrupted the WR's path a bit better, but like I said, that is being very much nitpicky. I think Dre is 1st round caliber this year, so I'm not throwing him under the bus or anything. I also agree that it seems that no one can sustain a drive on this D, that is much better than one busted play. It did seem that we played more 2 high safety defense tonight, and still stuffed the run. I know it is blasphemy, but I think these guys may finish the year better than the 92 defense. Just think in terms of depth.

Crimson Cat

FB Moderator
Nov 26, 2006
Alabama
I'm not quite ready to put them in the '92 defenses' ballpark yet, but they are better than the '09 one, imho. Nothing against the '09 unit, but different strengths though, and more talent across the board.

bamabryan

Hall of Fame
Jan 1, 2006
Alabaster, AL.
I like what I see from this years defense so far, but it's too early to say right now. It would be best to have this discussion when the season is over.

rickvox79

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2008
Pace, FL
I think what impresses me the most is the ball hawking by the entire D. Little dump offs and in my head I'm thinking "Great that'll be 7-10 yds" and a LB or DB flies in and hits the ball carrier almost immediately for maybe 2-3 yd gain. Our CB's are out there drilling guys like Safety's and the depth is unbelievable. The season still has a long way to go but so far the defense has been scary good. Has to be a nightmare for opposing coaching staffs to watch game film and try to come up with a game plan against our D right now.

Demps and Rainey were nonexistent running the ball and if you take away that 30 yd run by Driskel they would have been in the negatives as a team rushing it. You look at what Tyler Wilson did against us and then aTm or how UF looked before playing us. We totally neutralized the strengths from Ark and UF and dominated them physically on D. Like I said, a long way to go in the season, but I'm liking what I see so far.

Last edited:

tungi01

1st Team
Apr 17, 2010
Dallas, TX
I'm not overlooking our next few opponents, but I think the game against LSU will be one for the ages. That game will be full of big, fast, and ferocious hitting, NFL caliber athletes.....I think we will pull it off but man it's gonna be good. I might just have to make the trek back home(T-Town), from Dallas, to that one....

Rachel_In_Red

Suspended
Oct 1, 2011
I think this defense has the potential to be the best the Tide has had, including 1992. While they were no doubt an awesome defense, I think the the '92 group is a bit overrated. SEC offenses in the early 1990s were not nearly as formidable and diverse as they are today. We never saw what '92 Bama would have done with a Tebow/Newton type of spread system, or even Spurrier's peak years. UF put up 21 on the '92 defense in a chilly Legion Field and that was probably Spurrier's weakest offense in his '91-'96 period of SEC dominance. And no one on the '92 defense really turned out to be anything more than a journeyman in the NFL.

It's too early to praise the '11 group too much, but when it is all said and done I think they will be better.

GMacFan

Suspended
Oct 3, 2009
Please let's wait to the end of the season to start making these statements. I would hate for us to eat our words.

The pass rush is certainly better though. Upshaw will go down as a Crimson Legend. He excels equally at pass rushing and run stopping, and isn't bad in coverage. He's one of the most versatile players I've seen at Bama.

HoundstoothHigh

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 13, 2009
Perdido Beach, Al
I, too, am too young to remember the '92 defense. So, I'm greatly impressed/blown away by Bama's unfailing intensity on D this year.

However, according to my dad, this year's D is "scarily close, if not better than in '92."

And that, my friends, is what I like to hear :)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.