Is anyone else concerned about the reputation of our defense?

miggy402

1st Team
Aug 23, 2009
Waycross, GA
Don't get me wrong, I LOVE watching our defense play football. They are hands down the most physical defense in the country.

That being said, I can't help but notice how many opposing players leave the game and don't return due to injury. Ol' Miss was the first time an opposing QB made it from beginning to end in a game this season. (Some due to blowouts to preserve their health, but a few due to injury.)

I just read how 2 Ol' Miss defenders are out for the season due to injuries suffered in the BAMA game. (I realize these 2 are defenders but still) I don't know exactly how many opposing players have left the games, but it seems like every game SOMEBODY's season is ended (or substantially shortened) because of an injury they suffered against our defense. I have watched virtually every play this season and I wouldn't call us a "dirty" team (I don't see any Nick Fairley's out there), but I can't help but worry that others around the country won't see it that way.

Again, I am extremely proud of the way our team plays, but is anyone else concerned about our reputation?

Last edited:

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Re: Is anyone else concerned about the reputation of out defense?

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE watching our defense play football. They are hands down the most physical defense in the country.

That being said, I can't help but notice how many opposing players leave the game and don't return due to injury. Ol' Miss was the first time an opposing QB made it from beginning to end in a game this season. (Some due to blowouts to preserve their health, but a few due to injury.)

I just read how 2 Ol' Miss defenders are out for the season due to injuries suffered in the BAMA game. I don't know exactly how many opposing players have left the games, but it seems like every game SOMEBODY's season is ended (or substantially shortened) because of an injury they suffered against our defense. I have watched virtually every play this season and I wouldn't call us a "dirty" team (I don't see any Nick Fairley's out there), but I can't help but worry that others around the country won't see it that way.

Again, I am extremely proud of the way our team plays, but is anyone else concerned about our reputation?
No. It's TACKLE football.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

No.

I remember all to well what happened to us from 2003-2007. We were the ones getting our QB knocked out of the game, players injured ending their seasons and the hopes of Alabama contending ended along with them.

Why did this happen to us? We were a weak team compared to the teams we faced, and we lacked depth. What you are seeing is a deep, talented team imposing its will on lesser opponents. It's not dirty play, it's football.

Right after our defense knocks the hell out of someone, almost always they help the guy up and pat him on the helmet or the back.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

These injuries aren't coming from cheap shot late hits. They are just tackles on players that aren't prepared as well as our players.

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama

If our guys where gouging their eyes or kicking them (take away that one play against Vandy) then I would see people having a problem with it. But you constantly see our guys helping the opposing players up. Nothing dirty about any of the injuries.

lafella

Hall of Fame
Nov 27, 2006
Baldwin County, AL.

hopefully that is the perception. Rough Tough team with big hits and physical play that will knock you out of a game if you don't come ready. I'm good with this.

ganu76

BamaNation Citizen
Jun 24, 2010
Regarding Ole Miss, I'm pretty sure that one of the two season ending injuries from Saturday's game happenwd when our OFFENSE was on the field.

With that being said, I tend to think that these injuries are more or a result of the physicality of our team, our conference, and obviously the sport of football itself.

I will agree that we have a crew of headhunters on our D, but as long as we keep our hits clean and between the whistles, then I see nothing wrong with playing with 110%.

Wanting to end someone's season? Of course not!! Wanting the other team to remember playing Alabama? You betcha!

RTR

Last edited:

mulletover

All-SEC
Dec 1, 2009
Cullman Alabama
It's just SEC football. Attrition is part of the game. Coaches know to expect injuries. The ability of a team to recover from key injuries is what sets the SEC apart from say Texas 2009.

Would you say Mississippi State's defense is a worrisome unit because they knocked out Lattimore and Coffee yesterday, both for the season?

Leeroy

All-SEC
Dec 27, 2005
We don't play with the intent to injure an opposing player. We do play hard/fast, and as Coach says... make em' quit... make em' not want to play you anymore. Our players do just that, nothing more. What the rest of the country thinks is moot.

Roll Tide

bamabryan

Hall of Fame
Jan 1, 2006
Alabaster, AL.
No disrespect intended, but I don't see the basis for your comment. Our guys are just playing football. There has been nothing malicious or dirty on the part of our players when players from the opposing team have gotten hurt.

The only reputation I see our defense developing is teams do not want to see them again.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
In all honesty, from those we've played to even the barners, a vast majority of people see this defense for what it is - incredibly fast, strong and physical. IOW, maybe 1% of the things I've heard / read from other fans indicated they thought Bama played dirty, while the other 99% generally said "no, they're just playing hard".

Bama323

All-American
Feb 3, 2005

I just read how 2 Ol' Miss defenders are out for the season due to injuries suffered in the BAMA game. (I realize these 2 are defenders but still) I don't know exactly how many opposing players have left the games, but it seems like every game SOMEBODY's season is ended (or substantially shortened) because of an injury they suffered against our defense. I have watched virtually every play this season and I wouldn't call us a "dirty" team (I don't see any Nick Fairley's out there), but I can't help but worry that others around the country won't see it that way.

LOL!!

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
The only reputation I hear is that Bama has the best defense in the country.

So, I kind of like our reputation

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
I'm trying to find out where this "clean/sanitized" version of football originates that everyone writes about on this forum. As far as I remember from playing from JHS to HS, when you are in a pile up there are people biting, scratching, eye gouging, arm twisting, leg twisting, cussing, talking smack, etc. Of course it isn't something that is "coached" by your coach, but it comes with the game. Some people are just a bit more overt than others.

The forward pass was allowed in football not to advance the ball quickly, but to help stop some of the violence in the sport. But players just thought of new ways to punish the receivers and QB for throwing the ball. Got to tell you that DB's salivate when a WR is coming across the middle and it's even better when they are "hung out to dry" by a high pass.

It's not like we are body slamming people!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.