Question: Does anyone have insight into how UA handles concussion evaluations?

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL
With the recent news that both Cade Foster and Anthony Steen suffered concussions during the Ole Miss game, I was wondering if UA Athletics department might have any special tools in their tool belt to diagnose and gauge recovery. Specifically tests that focus on healthy cognitive performance and a tracking over time to determine if the player is healthy enough to return after suffering trauma.

Link to concussion report on Cade and Anthony: http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2011/10/alabama_football_players_antho.html

I remember in the past couple years that there has been an increasing amount of focus given to player health regarding concussions. Besides just being the right thing to do, it might be a good tool for ensuring that nothing like that debacle at Texas Tech happens at Alabama. Further, it might even be a recruiting tool to help sway the mom's out there to ensure that their children are being looked after properly.

Not to mention that with the UA Athletics department Scrooge McDuckin' around in their oodles of cash, it shouldn't be terribly hard for UA to implement some sort of program around this new technology.

From the ImPACT website located at: http://impacttest.com/

ImPACT provides computerized neurocognitive assessment tools and services that are used by medical doctors, psychologists, athletic trainers, and other licensed healthcare professionals to assist them in determining an athlete's ability to return to play after suffering a concussion.
More reading about concussion testing here: http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/story?id=99901&page=1

Full disclosure, I am nor have I ever been involved with the medical industry nor have I ever undergone any of this type of testing. I just know that the bone jarring hits that are becoming more prevalent do scare me and for these young men to go out every day with the potential for harm, there seems to be some things that could at least help remove the potential for serious injury due to multiple concussions.

Rtringadsden

3rd Team
Oct 17, 2011
Each player has his own baseline answers. He has to meet those baseline before he is cleared to play or practice

Dallas4Bama

Suspended
Sep 27, 2006
Dallas, Texas
Besides just being the right thing to do, it might be a good tool for ensuring that nothing like that debacle at Texas Tech happens at Alabama.
There was no debacle at Texas Tech. There was a player who lied and who once deposed admitted he made the entire story up.

That said, the University follows up to date protocal in handling these issues and we've seen no ill effects to my knowledge of players in recent years.

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
There was no debacle at Texas Tech. There was a player who lied and who once deposed admitted he made the entire story up.

That said, the University follows up to date protocal in handling these issues and we've seen no ill effects to my knowledge of players in recent years.
Wow!

Very interesting, Dallas...

I must've missed that...

Thanks for this!

Dallas4Bama

Suspended
Sep 27, 2006
Dallas, Texas
Wow!

Very interesting, Dallas...

I must've missed that...

Thanks for this!
Yes, he admitted that he made up the most of it. He clarified that he was put into a shed, but it was where the linemen sat and cooled off between drills. He wasn't locked in anything at any time, there were other players in there as well. He admitted when deposed that he had let himself into the electrical closet to take the video and sent it to his dad because he thought it was "funny". He even admitted that the coach Pincock had specifically told him not to go into the closet. Under oath he said he never felt any danger for himself or his health during any of these instances.

He is as much of a little trouble maker as his dad. The only thing Leach did wrong was offer the little spoiled brat a scholarship.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Yes, he admitted that he made up the most of it. He clarified that he was put into a shed, but it was where the linemen sat and cooled off between drills. He wasn't locked in anything at any time, there were other players in there as well. He admitted when deposed that he had let himself into the electrical closet to take the video and sent it to his dad because he thought it was "funny". He even admitted that the coach Pincock had specifically told him not to go into the closet. Under oath he said he never felt any danger for himself or his health during any of these instances.

He is as much of a little trouble maker as his dad. The only thing Leach did wrong was offer the little spoiled brat a scholarship.
At first, I thought you were insulting Mike Leach, but apparently this is someone's actual name.

p'colabamaman

All-SEC
Sep 16, 2008
Pace, FL.

Man, I sure would like to read about this, if there is a link.

Dallas4Bama

Suspended
Sep 27, 2006
Dallas, Texas
Man, I sure would like to read about this, if there is a link.
I don't have a link, I heard in on a local sports radio show. They were talking about the Leach case against Tech and discussing excerpts of the deposition on the air. That kid sure had a different story to tell once he was sworn to tell the truth.

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL
Thanks for the clarification Dallas. Debacle may have been a bit strong with regards to what happened. However if a school were able to use the tests to prove or disprove it would never have gotten the level of media attention that it did. Well I guess there are HIPPA regulations that may not allow disclosure, but at least in any court of law you wouldn't have all the lawyering going on after a false claim. Well you probably would, but one would hope that it could have short circuited the efforts to boot Leach. At least it would have made them figure out another way to get rid of him.

Dogtown Darren

3rd Team
Oct 31, 2004
Powder Springs, Ga.
I would HIGHLY recommend reading Mike Leach's book. It's a quick, super read...very interresting. There's a chapter dedicated to the Adam James saga, and while Leach gives his side of the story, he backs it up with e-mails his legal team got via open records request, and actual testamony from the legal proceedings related to the case.

The majority of the book is Leach discussing his offense and various strategies, things he does and adjustments he makes because of what defenses present to him.

The one thing the book comfirmed for me: Craig James is a world class jerk.

Dallas4Bama

Suspended
Sep 27, 2006
Dallas, Texas
Thanks for the clarification Dallas. Debacle may have been a bit strong with regards to what happened. However if a school were able to use the tests to prove or disprove it would never have gotten the level of media attention that it did. Well I guess there are HIPPA regulations that may not allow disclosure, but at least in any court of law you wouldn't have all the lawyering going on after a false claim. Well you probably would, but one would hope that it could have short circuited the efforts to boot Leach. At least it would have made them figure out another way to get rid of him.
Chanson I'm sorry I hijacked your thread. I didn't intend to by any means.

I am for the use of any technology that can help our medical staff better diagnose and treat our players.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.