Auburn to Tuscaloosa: Best route

MOBILE-BAMA

All-SEC
Jul 30, 2002
Billings, MT USA
A Georgia Southern fan has asked me what the best route from Auburn to Tuscaloosa is and I have no clue if it's faster to go north all interstate or head towards Montgomery and take Hwy 82.

Any advice would be appreciated

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Depending on the driver's speed, he/she can get from Auburn to Montgomery in about 45 minutes. Montgomery to Tuscaloosa is just under 2 hours. So that route will be around 3 hours.

TIDEnGA

All-American
Sep 25, 2007
Opelika, AL
A Georgia Southern fan has asked me what the best route from Auburn to Tuscaloosa is and I have no clue if it's faster to go north all interstate or head towards Montgomery and take Hwy 82.

Any advice would be appreciated
I grew up in Opelika and travelled back and forth for years both before and during my years at the University. Mind you this is all before the stadium expansions. We always went 82 on game day to avoid B'ham. That said B'ham is an "easier" way but usually longer on game day. I would think for the slightly earlier start you'd probably need to add an hour on the time if going thru B'ham. This will probably be a game where traffic will be much more congested for a certain period of time vs. a late start where traffic has all day to come in.

GATA_eagles

Nov 14, 2011
I live here and Auburn and the best route IMO is 280 into BHam then hit the interstate. pretty much a straight shot
I'm heading to Tuscaloosa Friday night so gameday traffic shouldn't be a problem if that changes the fastest route. Thanks again!

grits4bama

BamaNation Citizen
Aug 20, 2007
We live in Tuscaloosa and frequently visit friends who live in Auburn. I know, I know friends don't let friends live in Auburn!! But they insist. So, with that being said the fastest route we have found is Hwy 82 out of Montgomery. No stop lights after Prattville until Centreville and then just a couple whereas hwy 280 is nothing but stop lights. Also, its shorter distance wise than going all interstate. But, be on the lookout for State troopers they love cruising up and down Hwy 82.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
I live on 280 in Sylacauga and used to work in Opelika. The best route is 280 now easily. No way I'd ride down the toilet bowl that's 82 anymore. With 280 being 4-lane all the way through now, it's the best route IMHO.

CrimsonChuck

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 1999
Philadelphia, PA
Go past the lollipop guild and the flying monkeys until you see the the yellow brick road. Turn on that road. The yellow brick road intersects with Hwy 82. That goes right to Tuscaloosa.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.