My Guess at Who Goes to the BCS Bowls

PaulD

All-SEC
Dec 29, 2006
near Perry, Georgia, United States
This is based on CBS' projections (http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/rankings/bcs). It pretends that these are the final rankings and doesn't try to project what will happen during the next two weekends.

First, looking at the automatic qualifiers: LSU (#1 team), Alabama (#2 team), Oklahoma St (Big 12 champion), Virginia Tech (ACC champion), Oregon (Pac-12 champion), Michigan St (Big Ten champion), Rutgers (Big East champion), Houston (highest-ranked champion from other conferences). The SEC champion slot isn't used.

Since that doesn't yield ten teams, at large teams must be considered. They come from the top 14 teams whose conferences don't already have two teams (sorry, Arkansas!): Stanford, Boise State and Oklahoma are the only ones.

Now, placing the teams in games. Obviously, the BCS CG is LSU vs. Alabama. The Orange Bowl has Virginia Tech, the Fiesta Oklahoma St., and the Rose has Oregon and Michigan st. for conference champions. The Sugar Bowl, having lost the SEC champion, gets to choose a replacement from the teams above. I'll guess Houston. The Fiesta Bowl goes first and I have them choosing Stanford. The Sugar Bowl goes next and I think they'd choose Oklahoma. The Orange Bowl is required to choose the last automatic qualifier, Rutgers.

So this would give us:
BCS Championship Game: LSU vs Alabama
Sugar Bowl: Houston vs. Oklahoma
Rose Bowl: Michigan St vs. Oregon
Fiesta Bowl: Oklahoma St. vs. Stanford
Orange Bowl: Virginia Tech vs. Rutgers

Obviously, things will change in the rankings. Last week this would have had the Sugar Bowl making the easy call to select Alabama as LSU's replacement. Without an option to pick an SEC team, it gets harder to predict. The easier call is that the Big East champ will go to the Orange, as the last team to be picked.

Bama Lee

All-American
Oct 13, 1999
Dallas, TX
I believe their is fine print in the BCS bowl series selection that states that a conference is limited to two teams UNLESS it has two teams from said conference playing for the national title. I know there are more knowledgable people about this than me... What sayest thoust?

Rachel_In_Red

Suspended
Oct 1, 2011
The Orange Bowl sure has gone downhill since it moved away from the old Orange Bowl stadium and broke ties with the old Big 8.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
I believe their is fine print in the BCS bowl series selection that states that a conference is limited to two teams UNLESS it has two teams from said conference playing for the national title. I know there are more knowledgable people about this than me... What sayest thoust?
The fine print states that that a conference is limited to two teams UNLESS it has two non-Conference winning teams in the BCS Title game. (Say Arkansas beats LSU, Jumps to #1, but LSU doesn't fall past us. Then Ark loses to GA, setting up Alabama vs. LSU in the BCSCG, and UGA going to Sugar Bowl still.) So unfortunately, even though the SEC deserves 3 bids...we'll only get 2 barring a really crazy weekend...

As far as the projections...this looks like one of the worst (aside from the BCSCG) BCS line-ups ever...Not a single game I would want to watch

UA_Fan87

1st Team
Sep 15, 2008
Cullman, Alabama
The fine print states that that a conference is limited to two teams UNLESS it has two non-Conference winning teams in the BCS Title game. (Say Arkansas beats LSU, Jumps to #1, but LSU doesn't fall past us. Then Ark loses to GA, setting up Alabama vs. LSU in the BCSCG, and UGA going to Sugar Bowl still.) So unfortunately, even though the SEC deserves 3 bids...we'll only get 2 barring a really crazy weekend...

As far as the projections...this looks like one of the worst (aside from the BCSCG) BCS line-ups ever...Not a single game I would want to watch
You wouldn't want to watch the Alabama vs LSU game? :conf2:

PaulD

All-SEC
Dec 29, 2006
The Orange Bowl sure has gone downhill since it moved away from the old Orange Bowl stadium and broke ties with the old Big 8.
While I don't disagree entirely, Virginia Tech would be a quality ACC champion. Their big problem this year is that they are the last bowl to choose and will wind up having to take a Big East champ that could well be 7-5.

Tide Warrior

All-American
Jun 7, 2009
Asheville, NC-Chapel Hill, NC
All the different services and experts are projecting Michigan vs Houston in the Sugar Bowl. It also does not look like OU will be in a BCS bowl unless they can beat OSU. Only one of those 2 will make it and the Big whatever they are will only get 1 team in.

PaulD

All-SEC
Dec 29, 2006
All the different services and experts are projecting Michigan vs Houston in the Sugar Bowl. It also does not look like OU will be in a BCS bowl unless they can beat OSU. Only one of those 2 will make it and the Big whatever they are will only get 1 team in.
Michigan would have to rise to 14th to be eligible for the Sugar Bowl. With the current standings, no other Big Ten team is eligible to be an at-large team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.