Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    BamaNation All-SEC TheTradition's Avatar

Re: What to expect in 2012

Quote Originally Posted by markenk View Post
    It will be a rebuilding year. I think O-line and secondary are the major concerns next year. We do have depth, but it will take a year for players to fully develope in Saban system (just like 2010).

I'm curious how our offense will develope. It will all depend on AJ and Sims.
    If Jones and Dre return, those could be strengths of the team.
    "We don't really hire people to come in here and do what they do - we hire them to come in and do what we want them to do."

Coach Nick Saban - Press Conference: 3/21/11

2. Advertisement
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by UA94 View Post
    While we wait for the next game, I was wondering what to expect for next year.

What kind of team do you think we will have? I know lots of things could happen, players leaving, coaches possibly doing the same. But big picture-- any glaring weaknesses?
    YEP, special teams!!!

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamainBoston's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by TheTradition View Post
    Probably pretty similar to last year with a slightly more experienced defense.
    Hmmm. I hope that's true, but I doubt it. But isn't this funny? Only Alabama fans would worry about next year when getting ready for the BCSCG.

BamaNation First Team

Very true, but I'm counting them both to go NFL. Dre will probably go in the first round while Jones will in 2nd or 3rd round.

BamaNation All-American sanjosecrimson's Avatar
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Offense

QB- With a year of experience under his belt, I expect AJ to perform really well. He should have a lot more freedom much like McElroy did his second year.

RB- There is still a possibility TR stays for his senior year, but for right now, let's assume he leaves. EL is very capable of carrying the workload, and I'm sure Hart and Fowler will get plenty of carries.

WR- Carter adds a big, physical threat at WR. Bell, White, and Norwood are all back, and we could even see some newcomers get playing time.

TE- I hate losing Brad Smelley. He has been a nice surprise this year. But Williams returns, and we've still got some of young guys like Harrison Jones and Brian Vogler.

OL- We return Warmack, Steen, Fluker, and possibly even Barrett Jones on the OL. If Jones does return, he will take over for Vlachos at center. If not, we're gonna need some young guys to step up. CyKo will probably take over at LT regardless of what B.J. decides to do.

Defense

DL- We should be fine here. Square, Williams, and Dial will all be back. We lose Chapman, but Ivory can step in or even possible JUCO signee Daniel McCullers.

LB- We lose 3 of our 4 starting LBs with Nico returning. With as much as Moseley plays, you can count him as a returning starter too. Adrian Hubbard played a lot this year, and although he can't fully replace Upshaw, he should be fine at Jack. Xzavier Dickson could see time as well.

CB- Milliner, John Fulton, and some possible JUCO guys will replace Menzie and maybe even Dre if he leaves.

S- I think Lester will be back for another year, and I have full confidence that Sunseri can replace Barron.
    Is it me or everytime this question comes up on who replaces Upshaw, Bama fans for the most part forget Ed Stinson???

ED actually play in the IB yesterday. and he was disruptive. ED is an Upshaw clone if there was ever was one. the young man plays with his hands down as well as OLB. DO NOT FORGET STINSON. opposing teams next year won't!!

BamaNation All-American bamaslammer's Avatar

I took a look at this last week. Alabama will have no experienced depth at corner. At Nose they will have no experience or depth, at H-Back end no experience no depth. The rest of the team should be fairly solid. If Jones comes back the offensive line should be very solid and with experienced runners, receivers, and a quarterback we should see some pretty potent offense.

Signing McCullers and Dickson could significantly strengthen the team. There will be good opportunities for young players and even freshman.
    BS 1989

BamaNation All-American

I would be most surprised if Dre stays. Jones? Maybe, maybe not. I'm a little concerned about Fluker. True, he's only a sophomore, but he redshirted his first year, so he's three years out of high school, and eligible. Might not be the best long-term business decision, but if you need money bad enough, short term rules. Same thing about Lester.

As other posters have mentioned, loss of either Kirby Smart or Jim McElwain could be more telling than any one player. I'm actually more concerned about losing McElwain. As much flack as he's taken for playcalling, I'm not sure who would replace him. As for Smart, Saban could coordinate the defense fine. Plus, we're going to lose him to a HC position sometime soon. Might as well be in advance of a rebuilding year. Let's just hope it's after January 9, 2012.

For the fall of 2012, I expect a couple of losses early, with a drastically improving team as the year goes on. After some bad luck in 2010 and this year, we're due for a relatively down year in injuries. Milliner and Clinton-Dix will surprise in the DB. It's going to take some time to develop the LBs. DL will miss Chapman, but the Australian and Square should be sound on the DL. Skill positions on offense should be good. Nobody can replace Trent, but Lacy and Fowler ain't chopped liver. QB and WR should be better, if for no reason other than experience. I'm more concerned about the OL, and kind of expecting a 2010 performance there -- flashes of brilliance, followed by inexplicable inconsistency. Stoutland has been a good hire here.

Still, all told, it really doesn't get any better than this guys. We're talking about rebuilding and expecting no more than 3 losses. These are the good old days.
    Last edited by 4Q Basket Case; November 27th, 2011 at 08:38 PM.
    Undefeated World Champion Threadkiller

BamaNation Hall of Fame Jessica4Bama's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Is the 2012 schedule available yet?
    So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal. - 2 Corinthians 4:18

BamaNation Hall of Fame TideFan in AU's Avatar
    Almost close enough to the pasture to smell it!
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by sanjosecrimson View Post
    Is it me or everytime this question comes up on who replaces Upshaw, Bama fans for the most part forget Ed Stinson???

ED actually play in the IB yesterday. and he was disruptive. ED is an Upshaw clone if there was ever was one. the young man plays with his hands down as well as OLB. DO NOT FORGET STINSON. opposing teams next year won't!!
    You're right. Ed has played very well this in the rotation, and at times, has looked dominant.
    “And the roses in this grand ol’ stadium are once again Crimson!” - Eli Gold, Jan 7th, 2010

Alabama wasn’t just dominating Monday night. They were some word that has yet to be invented in the English language. - Aaron Torres, Jan 10th, 2012

"If this was a prize fight, they'd call it off!" - Brent Musberger, Jan 7th, 2013

BamaNation Second Team Crimson Draw's Avatar

I've learned doubting our team usually doesn't turn out too well. So I'm gonna say we are national champions next year. But I will concede we'll have a harder route to get there than this year.

As for LSU saying "Wait till next year", I won't believe it till I see it. Many of us thought 2010 Bama was going to be unstoppable with all the weapons and potential we had on offense. We could've been a REALLY good team (look at MichSt) but often didn't hit on all cylinders.

BamaNation All-American

If Barrett Jones stays, the OL should be incredible. He'll be a big spot to fill if he departs though. He could declare early, lets not forget that.
    Honey Badger can take what the Tide gives him and like it.

Suspended

Will Sylve be a WR or CB next year? I'm sure he will try to qualifiy for the Olympics this summer.

BamaNation First Team

Quote Originally Posted by TideFan in AU View Post
    You're right. Ed has played very well this in the rotation, and at times, has looked dominant.
    Ed's played well, but spent the year in the DE rotation and hasn't spent any time working with the LB's. We might see him move out to LB again, but Hubbard and Dickson were the backups at Jack this year and would seem to be the bet to step up next year.