What to expect in 2012

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Great run down. I think Tana Patrick and Trey DePriest will be big contributors at the LB position, and Ha Ha will definitely see some serious PT in the secondary. I think Geoffrey Pagan, and from some of the buzz coming from practice, even DJ Pettway may be in the DL rotation. Marvin Shinn and Christian Jones should get a look at WR, and may see some K/P return duty as well.

The biggest spots to fill are going to be for Upshaw, Hightower, Barron, Menzie and possibly Kirkpatrick on defense, and Maze, Hanks, Smelley, Vlachos and, of course, Trent on offense. The think the offensive guys can be replaced sufficiently, and think the running game will be strong, even without Trent. I think the play of whomever replaces Upshaw, Hightower, and the DB's is going to be crucial to determining whether we are really good team or a great team.
Right on target. They are not only fast, they are big and strong and stop the other offense at the LOS. But, this is the greatness of college football.

CapstoneGrad06

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2006
Houston, Texas
I expect something similar to 2010, but without the hype entering the season. That being said, we'll still be a pre-season Top 10 team in 2012. We should return six starters on defense, along with seven starters on offense. I think we can expect another Top 10 defense nationally, and a more experienced offense. Though we're going to miss Trent Richardson and Marquis Maze on in key situations. However, I like the guys we have coming back and the young guys that gained experience this season. All in all, somewhere between 9-12 wins, depending on the breaks we get and the development of the new starters.

markenk

1st Team
Aug 3, 2003
England
While we wait for the next game, I was wondering what to expect for next year.

What kind of team do you think we will have? I know lots of things could happen, players leaving, coaches possibly doing the same. But big picture-- any glaring weaknesses?
It will be a rebuilding year. I think O-line and secondary are the major concerns next year. We do have depth, but it will take a year for players to fully develope in Saban system (just like 2010).

I'm curious how our offense will develope. It will all depend on AJ and Sims.

GoBama#1

All-SEC
May 4, 2005
Midlothian, Virginia
Lsu...yes....georgia (depends on who they lose and/or are they gonna get lazy because richt is off the hot seat?) michigan........until BIG ten it can prove anything other than being the sec's whipping boy.....im not gonna be sweating to much. (not saying michigan couldn't be a problem first game out of the gate).
The thing about Michigan is they are already being anointed a darkhorse contender for the NC next year, I can see why but still think they have alot to prove.

TheTradition

All-SEC
Nov 6, 2010
Alabaster, AL
It will be a rebuilding year. I think O-line and secondary are the major concerns next year. We do have depth, but it will take a year for players to fully develope in Saban system (just like 2010).

I'm curious how our offense will develope. It will all depend on AJ and Sims.
If Jones and Dre return, those could be strengths of the team.

45longcolt

All-SEC
Dec 30, 2007
Warrior 35180
While we wait for the next game, I was wondering what to expect for next year.

What kind of team do you think we will have? I know lots of things could happen, players leaving, coaches possibly doing the same. But big picture-- any glaring weaknesses?
YEP, special teams!!!

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
Offense

QB- With a year of experience under his belt, I expect AJ to perform really well. He should have a lot more freedom much like McElroy did his second year.

RB- There is still a possibility TR stays for his senior year, but for right now, let's assume he leaves. EL is very capable of carrying the workload, and I'm sure Hart and Fowler will get plenty of carries.

WR- Carter adds a big, physical threat at WR. Bell, White, and Norwood are all back, and we could even see some newcomers get playing time.

TE- I hate losing Brad Smelley. He has been a nice surprise this year. But Williams returns, and we've still got some of young guys like Harrison Jones and Brian Vogler.

OL- We return Warmack, Steen, Fluker, and possibly even Barrett Jones on the OL. If Jones does return, he will take over for Vlachos at center. If not, we're gonna need some young guys to step up. CyKo will probably take over at LT regardless of what B.J. decides to do.

Defense

DL- We should be fine here. Square, Williams, and Dial will all be back. We lose Chapman, but Ivory can step in or even possible JUCO signee Daniel McCullers.

LB- We lose 3 of our 4 starting LBs with Nico returning. With as much as Moseley plays, you can count him as a returning starter too. Adrian Hubbard played a lot this year, and although he can't fully replace Upshaw, he should be fine at Jack. Xzavier Dickson could see time as well.

CB- Milliner, John Fulton, and some possible JUCO guys will replace Menzie and maybe even Dre if he leaves.

S- I think Lester will be back for another year, and I have full confidence that Sunseri can replace Barron.
Is it me or everytime this question comes up on who replaces Upshaw, Bama fans for the most part forget Ed Stinson???

ED actually play in the IB yesterday. and he was disruptive. ED is an Upshaw clone if there was ever was one. the young man plays with his hands down as well as OLB. DO NOT FORGET STINSON. opposing teams next year won't!!

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
I took a look at this last week. Alabama will have no experienced depth at corner. At Nose they will have no experience or depth, at H-Back end no experience no depth. The rest of the team should be fairly solid. If Jones comes back the offensive line should be very solid and with experienced runners, receivers, and a quarterback we should see some pretty potent offense.

Signing McCullers and Dickson could significantly strengthen the team. There will be good opportunities for young players and even freshman.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
If Jones and Dre return, those could be strengths of the team.
I would be most surprised if Dre stays. Jones? Maybe, maybe not. I'm a little concerned about Fluker. True, he's only a sophomore, but he redshirted his first year, so he's three years out of high school, and eligible. Might not be the best long-term business decision, but if you need money bad enough, short term rules. Same thing about Lester.

As other posters have mentioned, loss of either Kirby Smart or Jim McElwain could be more telling than any one player. I'm actually more concerned about losing McElwain. As much flack as he's taken for playcalling, I'm not sure who would replace him. As for Smart, Saban could coordinate the defense fine. Plus, we're going to lose him to a HC position sometime soon. Might as well be in advance of a rebuilding year. Let's just hope it's after January 9, 2012.

For the fall of 2012, I expect a couple of losses early, with a drastically improving team as the year goes on. After some bad luck in 2010 and this year, we're due for a relatively down year in injuries. Milliner and Clinton-Dix will surprise in the DB. It's going to take some time to develop the LBs. DL will miss Chapman, but the Australian and Square should be sound on the DL. Skill positions on offense should be good. Nobody can replace Trent, but Lacy and Fowler ain't chopped liver. QB and WR should be better, if for no reason other than experience. I'm more concerned about the OL, and kind of expecting a 2010 performance there -- flashes of brilliance, followed by inexplicable inconsistency. Stoutland has been a good hire here.

Still, all told, it really doesn't get any better than this guys. We're talking about rebuilding and expecting no more than 3 losses. These are the good old days.

Last edited:

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
Is it me or everytime this question comes up on who replaces Upshaw, Bama fans for the most part forget Ed Stinson???

ED actually play in the IB yesterday. and he was disruptive. ED is an Upshaw clone if there was ever was one. the young man plays with his hands down as well as OLB. DO NOT FORGET STINSON. opposing teams next year won't!!
You're right. Ed has played very well this in the rotation, and at times, has looked dominant.

Crimson Draw

3rd Team
Nov 8, 2008
I've learned doubting our team usually doesn't turn out too well. So I'm gonna say we are national champions next year. :) But I will concede we'll have a harder route to get there than this year.

As for LSU saying "Wait till next year", I won't believe it till I see it. Many of us thought 2010 Bama was going to be unstoppable with all the weapons and potential we had on offense. We could've been a REALLY good team (look at MichSt) but often didn't hit on all cylinders.

skrayper77

All-American
Sep 4, 2003
If Barrett Jones stays, the OL should be incredible. He'll be a big spot to fill if he departs though. He could declare early, lets not forget that.

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011
Will Sylve be a WR or CB next year? I'm sure he will try to qualifiy for the Olympics this summer.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
You're right. Ed has played very well this in the rotation, and at times, has looked dominant.
Ed's played well, but spent the year in the DE rotation and hasn't spent any time working with the LB's. We might see him move out to LB again, but Hubbard and Dickson were the backups at Jack this year and would seem to be the bet to step up next year.

MDB1981

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 29, 2010
Nectar, al
If Barrett Jones stays, the OL should be incredible. He'll be a big spot to fill if he departs though. He could declare early, lets not forget that.
Jones younger brother may get signficant playing time next year, hopefully the opportunity to play while his brother does lures Barrett back.
Also, with his academic and service background he would make a good Rhodes Scholarship candidate.

markenk

1st Team
Aug 3, 2003
England
One name everyone in the nation will know next year is Williams. That guy is going to be a monster, and our DL looks to be pretty dominating next year.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.