What to expect in 2012

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
Jones certainly can declare and would be drafted, but I'm not sure how early. Jones has many strengths but he needs to get physically stronger. If you look at an NFL lineman compared to him it's a pretty big difference. I believe his failure to get through the last two seasons without missing starts due to injury are a negative that will effect any draft position he might have. He's a great player but the NFL is a whole different animal, especially on the line. If he wants to be a player there he needs to get freaky in the weight room this winter. His mentor Mike Johnson hasn't sniffed the field, possibly for the same reason. Johnson was also an All-American but that doesn't mean squat in the NFL.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
depends... I say we are on a rebuilding year and if we beat michigan we will be 11- 2 at the end where if we lose it 10- 3 at the end. I think road games against lsu and arky might be out of reach.

I say BCSNCG will be LSU vs USC (if barkley returns)

JIB

Suspended
Nov 2, 2011
Sterrett
I'm expecting three losses again. It's very similar to 2010. Lose everything on defense (or close to it). Have a lot of offensive weapons back (minus Trent). We will have some defensive lapses for sure that will cost us games - probably LSU and Arkansas. We will NOT lose to Auburn at home though. Michigan will be a scary game.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
I'm expecting three losses again. It's very similar to 2010. Lose everything on defense (or close to it). Have a lot of offensive weapons back (minus Trent). We will have some defensive lapses for sure that will cost us games - probably LSU and Arkansas. We will NOT lose to Auburn at home though. Michigan will be a scary game.
it's not quite as bad as after 2009, although the losses are deep. 9 of the 11 guys that started the national championship game were gone in 2010, although we did have some very capable backups in upshaw, dareus and had hightower coming back. I think of the 9, 8 participated in NFL camps and one went into MLB. that amount of talent is hard to replace in a year.

we'll lose 7 starters this year, assuming that dre goes and lester stays. The thing I feel better about for 2012 than I did about 2010 is that the backups have played a lot more (other than upshaw and dareus) at every position other than one CB and SAM LB. for example, in 2009, we almost NEVER saw RM, MB or Woodall come off the field, even with the game in hand, but this year we saw a lot of Depriest, Sunseri and others against good competition and not just trash time. Getting those reps means a TON - just look at how well Sunseri played against Auburn. we didn't have that in place last year and it really got us with MB trying to play the IB with one arm b/c we didn't have a backup with enough experience to really play.

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
depends... I say we are on a rebuilding year and if we beat michigan we will be 11- 2 at the end where if we lose it 10- 3 at the end. I think road games against lsu and arky might be out of reach.

I agree. I don't know who LSU loses, but I believe we may lose two games next year. I believe we beat Michigan.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
We are losing our most experienced linebackers and practically our entire secondary(It would not surprise me to see Lester leave). We will lose our nose and possibly our 2 defensive ends if Williams leaves. We will have a good number of kids behind them with experience that have talent, but they will be somewhat green when the season begins.

On offense we will lose most of our experienced receivers, our tight ends and our best back. Even so, I think we are fine on offense and may be better with the addition of Duron, Sylve and Bell back. The offensive line will be our strength.

Overall, I think we are 9-3 to 11-1.

Last edited:

Bear Disciple

1st Team
Oct 27, 2009
Tuscaloosa, AL

I can see LSU again, but even if Barkley returns, I don't think they have a .... to get there. USC has no defense at all, and Barkley certainly has had some great games this year, but I think he won't be good enough to carry the entire team to a championship.

TIDEnGA

All-American
Sep 25, 2007
Opelika, AL
If we keep Barrett and Lester I'll feel much better. Those are the only two that I think might come back out of the players eligible to declare and could really help us stay on top if they return.

Michigan, UGA and LSU all concern me.

Crimson_Knight

Scout Team
Jun 8, 2006
If we get Mccellers, Dre and Lester stay, I would say watch out. I have not thought about some of these guys staying. This could get nasty for the west again. If Dre/Lester leave I would assume for CB Millner/Foulton, with all new safties. NT will be Ivory and one of the TF from Feb. Then I will worry but enjoy the ride of watching Coach put the right guys in place. This conversation is not over till what Febuary.

Roll Tide Roll!!!

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
I don't see how we could possibly lose more than 3 games. I think LSU beats us but I'm not concerned about Michigan or UGA. Arky on the road could be tough, but they lose their entire receiving core pretty much.

BTW, for those predicting USC in the title game, are they even eligible for a bowl game next year?

AlexD

1st Team
Jun 19, 2009
The main thing that scares me is the d losing so much. We lose dre, Lester then seniors from secondary and that's Lester telling me.

skrayper77

All-American
Sep 4, 2003
It will be interesting to see just how good LSU's offense and LB corps is next year.

They lose both guards and a TE along the line, and in all likelihood Rueben Randle at WR. While neither of their QBs lit people up, they're losing a lot of experience at those positions. Met's thrown 11 passes this year. Not much to go on there...

On defense they lose Brandon Taylor, who is a major player at S, and a major contributor at LB in Ryan Baker, but their brutal Defensive Line stays intact.

Really, their defense will be sick next year, with few holes to fill. Their OL *might* be a liability, with 2 starters and 3 more backups graduating (their C position loses both back ups) meaning an injury along the line could be costly. Hard to tell at this time.

At this stage it really looks like they'll be just as good if not better on D, but they may take a drop on offense depending on a lot of factors. With the interior of their OL changing so much, probably see them taking those RBs to the edges a lot more often.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
We will lose our nose and possibly our 2 defensive ends if Williams leaves.
Square is the other DE opposite Williams, and I don't think he's leaving is he? He's been a very solid DE for us, but doesn't seem like enough to leave early...

CrimsonCrusade

1st Team
Nov 9, 2011
Cookeville, TN
If we keep Barrett and Lester I'll feel much better. Those are the only two that I think might come back out of the players eligible to declare and could really help us stay on top if they return.

Michigan, UGA and LSU all concern me.
LSU will have a first year quarterback. Michigan is overrated. UGA is the only one that concerns me.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Man I love the Saban Era...in the hunt every year. Our fortunes next year will depend on the offensive and defensive lines. Add quarterback play, a huge missing intangible from 2010 (LEADERSHIP) and injury luck and we may be right there within striking distance late next season. Our offense will be better in the form of a down field passing threat. We will miss Trent but Hart will be a star. The D will be good but not as great as they are this year. All in all it will be a team and season to look forward to...like it is every year in the Saban Era. :cool:

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
Man I love the Saban Era...in the hunt every year. Our fortunes next year will depend on the offensive and defensive lines. Add quarterback play, a huge missing intangible from 2010 (LEADERSHIP) and injury luck and we may be right there within striking distance late next season. Our offense will be better in the form of a down field passing threat. We will miss Trent but Hart will be a star. The D will be good but not as great as they are this year. All in all it will be a team and season to look forward to...like it is every year in the Saban Era. :cool:
This seems generally on target. Sub Lacy for Hart. :) These are the new "good old days."

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
This seems generally on target. Sub Lacy for Hart. :) These are the new "good old days."
Agreed :biga2: Add the redshirts from this year with sprinkles of some outstanding true freshmen that will sign in January and it will be an exciting team to watch. :wink:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.