Rod Gilmore during BCS Show

HCT

Aug 31, 2010
Could he have been any more irritating? I was literally grinding my teeth every time he spoke. It wasn't that he disagreed with the Alabama playing against LSU again that bothered me so much. However it really irked me that he kept vehemently repeating it OVER AND OVER again. Even Kirk and the others seemed to get tired of it. He was definitely trying to sell his opinions/view to the voters very hard.

Dec 15, 2000
Shellman Georgia
Could he have been any more irritating? I was literally grinding my teeth every time he spoke. It wasn't that he disagreed with the Alabama playing against LSU again that bothered me so much. However it really irked me that he kept vehemently repeating it OVER AND OVER again. Even Kirk and the others seemed to get tired of it. He was definitely trying to sell his opinions/view to the voters very hard.
Ditto!!!

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Yes and he kept harping on the fact that is is NOT FAIR for Alabama to sit at home and not have to play in a conference championship game -- as if that were some great boost, and he says that is a fault of our "system." I was not sure if he meant the BCS system or the conf. chamnpionship system, or the BCS system.

No matter. He was flat wrong. It is no more of a crime for Bama to sit at home this week than it was for Oregon to sit at home last season because they did not have a conf. championship game.

He acted like this has never happened before, but everytime USC and Ohio State have been in the BCS title game it has happened. I kept waiting on someone to call him out on that fact, but no one did.

bamablood6

1st Team
Mar 27, 2006
What is not fair is...there are thousands of people out in the world without jobs and that clown has a good paying one..........

SimplyTide

Suspended
Oct 7, 2011
What is not fair is...there are thousands of people out in the world without jobs and that clown has a good paying one..........
If he keeps ripping the BCS on the BCS Countdown show, he won't have one for long. He spent the entire program ripping the BCS format. Talk about biting the hand that feeds you. :biggrin2:

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
Of all people,I can't believe that Craig James was pleading our case. Maybe that is good news that only Rod Gilmore, who looked more like an idiot than anything, was the only one against us.

Guess what Rod, your beloved Stanford is sitting home next week, and Oklahoma St was sitting home for the second time this season last week!

Last edited:

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Gilmore is way down on ESPN's depth chart he isn't allowed to do any game of any consequence so this was his chance to show the execs he was a somebody. He is very irritating to listen to and watch.

crimsonpride61

Scout Team
Jan 2, 2003
Smiths Station,Al.
He also said you should look at the loss and said they should look at was the loss at home or away or how close a game since those two looked better for Ok. St. he didn't mention that they lost to a huge unranked underdog which would be in Bama's favor. And the fact we lost to #1 in a close game.

64met

All-American
Oct 12, 2007
As Bama fans we should get used to this blatant bias of the national media over the next 6 weeks. The rhetoric will only increase next week after the pairings are announced.

RTR!!!!

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
As Bama fans we should get used to this blatant bias of the national media over the next 6 weeks. The rhetoric will only increase next week after the pairings are announced.

RTR!!!!
Please everyone read this or the media will make you crazy, it is going to be 6 weeks of this.

crimsonbleeder

All-American
Dec 1, 2002
Birmingham, AL

RTR!!!!
You said it: Need to guard yourselves in armour. Grow some thick skin. It's going to come from EVERYWHERE. Probably not so much THIS week, but really will hit the fan after NEXT week, when the final BCS rankings come out, then we'll have to endure 30+ days of the invalidations, the "mythical" Championship crap, etc...

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
it's even money Gilmore's role in that show was to play devil's advocate. We should all lighten up. it's an imperfect system. Besides, there's far more media saying the rematch is a done deal than not.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
You said it: Need to guard yourselves in armour. Grow some thick skin. It's going to come from EVERYWHERE. Probably not so much THIS week, but really will hit the fan after NEXT week, when the final BCS rankings come out, then we'll have to endure 30+ days of the invalidations, the "mythical" Championship crap, etc...
To be honest? After next Sunday -- I won't care what any of them say.....not even a little bit. My Bama fix is usually on here anyway -- and I have some defensively infused Bama Hoops to distract me (RTR!!) in the 5 weeks in between.

37bamagreats55

All-American
Apr 1, 2003
Gardendale, AL
He acted like a complete tool when he was talking about all the reasons Bama shouldn't be in the game.
Also, did he completely omit T.R. from his Heisman ballot? I know he had Luck No. 1, so he was essentially doing what *gulp* Gary Danielson said people shouldn't do and try and make his vote count more by omitting T.R.
Look, there is no way any reasonable person who knows anything about college football would not have Trent Richardson at least in the top-3 of their ballot.
And I do realize I just used reasonable person and college football in the same post as Rod Gilmore, so I already have my answer.

Bamanooga

1st Team
Sep 7, 2008
Signal Mountain, TN
it's even money Gilmore's role in that show was to play devil's advocate.
Yes, the producers want to create drama and keep people tuned in. which wouldn't happen if all the analysts agreed. That said, Gilmore was too enthusiastic in his role for my liking. I thought Herbstreit's comment about the SEC championship rings was a good counter to Gilmore. It made me feel bad for our team, not having that opportunity. But the NC ring is the important one.

LCN

FB | REC Moderator
Sep 29, 2005
That's probably why Robert Smith was absent . Robert supports LSU and Alabama playing again so Rod made the show for their counterpoint . Especially since even Craig James has managed to see the light . Rod is also a Pac 12 guy so what made a conference title game suddenly so important to him ?

BillDee

3rd Team
Sep 7, 2010
Athens, GA
www.BillDunston.com
It would be pretty boring if all 3 guys at the BCS Show echoed the same opinion. Diverse opinions and points of view add to interest in the BCS selection process. I didn't agree with Gilmore's position, but didn't find it all that upsetting.

rizolltizide

Hall of Fame
Jan 4, 2003
st pete, fl
No , he could not have been more irritating.

He can't seem to get it through his thick, bald skull, that the SEC and BCS are totally separate entities and have nothing to do with each other.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I find it funny that at one time Robert Smith was the "Rod Gilmore" of ESPN. Yet now after watching how the SEC beats all the other big conference teams in the big games he's drastically changed his tune about the SEC.

The PAC 12 homers not only got their chance to play an SEC team on the biggest stage they had a follow up opportunity the very next season and wet their pants in both. Do we need to even talk about the Big 12 teams? Really? Every time those "high powered" offenses meet up against one of our conferences defense they get shut down.

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
He graduated from Stanford. He was the perfect guy for the counterpoint but was ineffective because of the venomous way he tried to make his case.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.