Okie State COULD win BIG against the Sooners

south78

Scout Team
Sep 18, 2011
I know media folks are saying it won't matter and maybe it won't but beating the number 10 team in the country with a good name brand on the last game by 2 or 3 tds could change some minds.

The reality is the Sooners arent the team they were at the beginning of the season and OSU wouldnt deserve the credit for beating them that some voters may want to give them.

From what I can tell OU is without:

NFL reciever Broyles
NFL potential reciever Jaz Reynolds (last week the Sooners were starting a Freshman)
Their starting RB - meaning they are starting a 170 lb skat back and a freshman is backing him up.
Without their best defender and one of the best DE in the country Ronnel Lewis (Kiper now has him top 20 on the big board and he's only a junior).
Best LB Travis Lewis (also NFL talent) is still playing hurt.
And I think I've heard that Stills is also playing hurt!

I'm not sure who else but put it this way - if you took Blackmon, Randle (starting RB at Okie State) and their best defensive guy Markell Martin (who is not a Ronnell Lewis level defender) I dont think OSU would have much of a chance.

Add to it the fact that the game is being played in Stillwater for the 2nd year in a row and the fact that OU's weakness all year has been the deep safety - which is something a pass rush could have significantly helped (just watch the 1st quarter of the Baylor game and see the difference it made when Ronnell was in) OSU COULD win really big and get what I believe would be undue credit.

Hopefully Stoops can beat the Cowboys and leave no room for any speculation.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I don't think they can pass us no matter what, but you know what? I'm not gonna worry about it. I'm going to pull for the Sooners Sat and whatever happens, happens.

We had our chance to earn our way in and blew it, so it is what it is...

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
They're not passing us. People would have to jump them 3 spots basically on EVERY ballot. The SEC would burn down the BCS computers and take out hits all the voters if that happened (take in mind they gotta get the COACHES of all people to jump them 3 spots as well, not happening)

Plus have you seen the Pokes Defense AT ALL???? No way they can beat OU by 2-3 TD's.

south78

Scout Team
Sep 18, 2011
I know there is nothing that can be done but I don't share ya'lls confidence in them not passing us with a big win ESPECIALLY if Georgia were to somehow pull out a win over LSU (this would create a scenario where two 1 loss teams for the same division that didnt win their conference get in). With the win over OU they'd jump Bama in the comps and I've just seen too many times how media types start singing a different tune after they watch a game. Herbstreit was STILL pumping Oregon this past week even with 2 losses!

I mean I can't get over the fact that there was serious talk on ESPN when Oregon beat Stanford that Oregon should be considered for the NC vs LSU! But its a fickle business.

jaakRTR

3rd Team
Nov 21, 2010
Lexington Alabama
I copied/pasted this from another thread discussing this subject....

Originally Posted by JustNeedMe81
WHy is everyone worried about Oklahoma State? There is a gap between Bama and OSU in BCS Poll, and it would take a lot for them to jump ahead of Bama. Alabama is pretty much safe to play for the championship.

^^This^^ Also want to add, that even if OSU wins, you still need a VT loss to make it closer. In other words don't matter if OSU wins as long as VT does too, VT is ranked higher than OSU in both human polls, I don't think they will get jumped if they win the ACC championship.

RTR,
Jason

theBIGyowski

All-American
Aug 4, 2005
Cumming, GA
Not sure if anyone has said it yet...and not like it has any impact on the game this weekend...

But the last time Oklahoma State beat Oklahoma...they were coached by Les Miles.

And Alabama was coached by Dennis Franchione.

south78

Scout Team
Sep 18, 2011
I copied/pasted this from another thread discussing this subject....

Originally Posted by JustNeedMe81
WHy is everyone worried about Oklahoma State? There is a gap between Bama and OSU in BCS Poll, and it would take a lot for them to jump ahead of Bama. Alabama is pretty much safe to play for the championship.

^^This^^ Also want to add, that even if OSU wins, you still need a VT loss to make it closer. In other words don't matter if OSU wins as long as VT does too, VT is ranked higher than OSU in both human polls, I don't think they will get jumped if they win the ACC championship.

RTR,
Jason
good point!

LCN

FB | REC Moderator
Sep 29, 2005
*yawns* The BCS title game will feature LSU and Alabama . Okie St. could win 100-0 and it would have no bearing on what is already set in stone .

graydogg85

1st Team
Feb 7, 2006
Huntsville, AL
Count me as unconvinced that Oklahoma State is a lock to beat OU. Yes, the Sooners are banged up and they've been pretty uninspiring at times. But this is a rivalry game that they've dominated over the last decade, and on the heels of two disappointing losses I think they'll play as though they have something to prove. They have better overall talent and depth compared to OSU, even if they are beat up. And the Cowboy defense is as close to a swinging gate as you'll find in the upper half of BCS-conference teams. On the other hand, the Sooners are capable of playing a little bit of defense, as they held the ISU team that hung 37 on the Pokes to a mere six points over the weekend.

It may be baseless optimism on my part, but I have a feeling that Oklahoma will take out OSU this weekend and render this BCSNCG discussion moot.

A Wise one

Suspended
Nov 29, 2011
I think its quite ridiculous to just assume that OSU wouldn't jump up enough in the polls if they beat Oklahoma, even if its a close game, as long as it looks like they played well and have talent. This is the media and social networking we are talking about. The amount of hype that is around about OSU playing in the BCS game before they even play an evenly matched Oklahoma should be telling. If they do actually pull that win off, get ready for a huge boost of people demanding OSU jump Bama.

Even if they don't fully jump up all the way, they are guaranteed to move to 2 in the computers if they win (the only reason they dropped back down to 3rd was because they had a bye, now that they are playing with Bama on the bye, a win puts them to 2 in a majority of the computer polls).

Another thing a lot of people seem to forget is that the points you get from the coaches poll and the Harris poll in the BCS rankings take into account how many votes you get, being ,1 2 or 3 doesn't have a set amount of points. The closer the gap, the better chance they have of jumping.

If OSU beats Oklahoma, its quite possible they jump bama. If Clemson beats Virginia Tech as well, its almost certain they pass Bama. With Bama and Stanford both not playing this week, that jump will happen so easily, we'll be speechless.

TiderMan

All-SEC
Feb 5, 2005
Moody, AL.
They're not passing us. People would have to jump them 3 spots basically on EVERY ballot. The SEC would burn down the BCS computers and take out hits all the voters if that happened (take in mind they gotta get the COACHES of all people to jump them 3 spots as well, not happening)

Plus have you seen the Pokes Defense AT ALL???? No way they can beat OU by 2-3 TD's.
Another big game to watch is Clemson vs Va. Tech. Right now Va Tech is ranked above Okie St in the coaches & Harris polls. If they lose to Clemson and Okie St beats Oklahoma, Okie St will pick up some votes. They will probably jump Stanford also and go all the way to three. I think we definitely need to have Va Tech win so Okie St will have competition for the 3rd place votes.

BamaDude06

1st Team
Sep 15, 2006
The only way OSU jumps Alabama at this point is a deliberate attempt to keep Alabama out. Alabama is #2 in the Coaches and Harris poll and OSU is #5 in each. Virginia Tech winning helps, because their computer numbers will keep them from jumping Alabama and it would split votes with people voting them over OSU.

A Wise one

Suspended
Nov 29, 2011
The only way OSU jumps Alabama at this point is a deliberate attempt to keep Alabama out. Alabama is #2 in the Coaches and Harris poll and OSU is #5 in each. Virginia Tech winning helps, because their computer numbers will keep them from jumping Alabama and it would split votes with people voting them over OSU.
The reasoning would be 50% deliberate attempt to prevent a rematch, and 50% people being convinced OSU has a better resume after beating OU.

But your kidding yourself if voters won't think twice about Bama if OSU wins, right now even the voters are hoping Oklahoma wins so they don't have to pick between the two.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
I have been listening to the Oklahoma Station all day at work. It is interesting, the majority of the radio hosts or guests think Alabama is better. They talk about the loss of ok state, rather than wins. Only the callers are irrational.

Also the weather is supposed to be horrible this Saturday, windy, sleet, cold. This benefits Oklahoma too, they have a good running game and okie lite doesn't. So they have to throw against huge wind gusts.

A Wise one

Suspended
Nov 29, 2011
And let's say they are faced with that choice, what are they more likely to do? Change their vote or stick with the status quo?
They don't have to all vote them second, I just don't think there is any way a nation sick of hearing S-E-C chants lets a rematch happen if OSU win's that game.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.