Can anyone explain the BCSCG Ticket Situation?

TideFactor

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 26, 2009
I'm very confused about what is going on with the tickets for the game... I went to the 2009 Title Game and Ticketmaster.com sold tickets prior to the game for $275 per ticket. Granted, I didn't get any, but a couple friends of mine did and at least you had a chance to buy tickets at a reasonable price.

If you go to Ticketmaster.com, it says that the game is already SOLD OUT and that TicketsNow is reselling all of the tickets because of an "arrangement" with the Sugar Bowl... Can anyone explain what is going on here and why ALL of the tickets seem to have been bought up by a company that is trying to rape everyone with scalper prices? This really seems shady...

I'm very confused about what is going on with the tickets for the game... I went to the 2009 Title Game and Ticketmaster.com sold tickets prior to the game for $275 per ticket. Granted, I didn't get any, but a couple friends of mine did and at least you had a chance to buy tickets at a reasonable price.

If you go to Ticketmaster.com, it says that the game is already SOLD OUT and that TicketsNow is reselling all of the tickets because of an "arrangement" with the Sugar Bowl... Can anyone explain what is going on here and why ALL of the tickets seem to have been bought up by a company that is trying to rape everyone with scalper prices? This really seems shady...
It's called sports economics 101 + 80,000 seat stadium in New Orleans against around 100,000 in Pasadena + a RIDICULOUS amount of demand for the tickets since both fan bases can drive to the game. Not really hard to understand. Ticket prices are going to be outrageous, and there is no indication if/when the bottom will fall out because so many people will be in New Orleans without tickets.

Lady Crimson

Suspended
Oct 13, 2011
It would be easier to explain the origin of the universe...

They are saying this will be the toughest ticket in Alabama history!

You have about 50,000 Alabama fans fighting over about 20,000 tickets

BamaFossil

All-American
Jun 3, 2008
Williamsburg, VA
Thanks TideFactor for asking this. I was wondering the same thing. My wife and I decided we'd like to go to the game so I toodled over to StubHub & TicketMaster expecting to pay two or three hundred for tickets. I was blown away by the prices.

We'll be just fine watching the game on TV.

Thanks TideFactor for asking this. I was wondering the same thing. My wife and I decided we'd like to go to the game so I toodled over to StubHub & TicketMaster expecting to pay two or three hundred for tickets. I was blown away by the prices.

We'll be just fine watching the game on TV.
I'm not jumping on you when I ask this, but what made you expect tickets to be only a couple of hundred when Alabama/LSU I tickets were going for extremely high prices just a month ago?

TideFactor

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 26, 2009
I expect Ticket Broker's and Scalpers to be asking ridiculous prices, but the fact that nobody even has a chance to buy tickets at Face Value is what seems criminal. Why should Ticket Brokers get to buy ALL the tickets only to ask 10x the value? I understand economics, but this just doesn't seem right. Seems like someone sold their soul to the Devil on this one. Like I said, many tickets in 2009 Title Game were sold at $275 a ticket...face value.

I expect Ticket Broker's and Scalpers to be asking ridiculous prices, but the fact that nobody even has a chance to buy tickets at Face Value is what seems criminal. Why should Ticket Brokers get to buy ALL the tickets only to ask 10x the value? I understand economics, but this just doesn't seem right. Seems like someone sold their soul to the Devil on this one. Like I said, many tickets in 2009 Title Game were sold at $275 a ticket...face value.
Ticket brokers having access to huge chunks (if not all) of tickets for championship games is nothing new (Especially after sponsor and school/team allotments). In fact, I'm surprised there were those available in 2009... although the amount of seats in the Rose Bowl might have contributed to that.

Bear Disciple

1st Team
Oct 27, 2009
Tuscaloosa, AL
Well then you must know where to look. I paid $700 for my ticket and it was one of the cheaper listings I saw, maybe right before kickoff scalpers dumped them off at face value, but I tried to pick the cheapest time to buy and about the cheapest I ever saw in 2009 was $650. Also, a few of my Oregon buddies went last year and paid $900 a pop for worse seats than I got in Pasadena. I think it's just a very unfortunate trend coming on that people will pay whatever is asked for tickets. That combined with smaller capacity than 09 and two very close fan bases... be ready to pay an arm and a leg to get in the door.

fjc666

Jul 23, 2010
Mobile
My son took a chance in August and bid $90 for a chance at tickets. If Alabama got to the BCS championship he would receive the three tickets at face value plus a $10 delivery fee. Our total outlay per ticket was $400. If Alabama did not get to the championship game we were out the $90 per ticket. Some outfit called TeamReservations runs this program. They have a limited amount of tickets so our rights to the tickets were at $900 per ticket before the games last week. Tickets on StubHub are around $1,250. My son got tickets to Pasadena the same way in 2010. Good deal and totoal possible loss was $90. Food for thought for the future.

BamaFossil

All-American
Jun 3, 2008
Williamsburg, VA
I'm not jumping on you when I ask this, but what made you expect tickets to be only a couple of hundred when Alabama/LSU I tickets were going for extremely high prices just a month ago?
Not being in tune with ticket prices, I suppose. :pDT_umn: Last year I paid less than $100 each for season tickets to Duke so we could attend the Alabama-Duke game. That'll spoil you in a hurry...

I had in mind to pay up to $500 for the upcoming game...
:VIOLIN:

skipster63

All-SEC
Nov 5, 2010
Buchanan Dam
I should have done that much earlier than I did. Got 2 tickets by this reservation but it sure did cost me. But from now on, I will just take the risk of losing the $90 versus paying the reservation price later when it is more in the $700 on up range. Most of the reservation prices for the terrace section were $1,250 and up range towards the end.

The face price will vary from $300 and up depending on where you are in the stadium...terrace, club, etc. Oh and the reservation is for the price of the reservation only. On top of that, you have to pay for the face value of the ticket.

My son took a chance in August and bid $90 for a chance at tickets. If Alabama got to the BCS championship he would receive the three tickets at face value plus a $10 delivery fee. Our total outlay per ticket was $400. If Alabama did not get to the championship game we were out the $90 per ticket. Some outfit called TeamReservations runs this program. They have a limited amount of tickets so our rights to the tickets were at $900 per ticket before the games last week. Tickets on StubHub are around $1,250. My son got tickets to Pasadena the same way in 2010. Good deal and totoal possible loss was $90. Food for thought for the future.

Last edited:

hsvmiddie

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 3, 2011
Huntsville, AL
Why should Ticket Brokers get to buy ALL the tickets only to ask 10x the value?
the brokers typically get access to blocks of tickets because they agree to also buy blocks of tickets to less desirable events, often having to resell them at face or even less. just part of their business model.

Why do Bama fans only get 20.000 out of 100,000? why do we not get 50%?
Well, the capacity is 80,000 first off. Second, as with the Super Bowl and any other big game, the BCS Championship reserves a huge block of tickets for sponsors and other entities/organizations responsible for putting on the game/etc. So, actually, Alabama and LSU will get half the tickets, and the other half go elsewhere.

Not being in tune with ticket prices, I suppose. :pDT_umn: Last year I paid less than $100 each for season tickets to Duke so we could attend the Alabama-Duke game. That'll spoil you in a hurry...

I had in mind to pay up to $500 for the upcoming game...
:VIOLIN:
Gotcha. It's still up in the air if the market will bottom out the day of the game to get it down to $500 or so. I just don't see it happening for this one. Too much demand.

fjc666

Jul 23, 2010
Mobile
capnfrog- Bama and LSU got 17,000 tickets each. Others went to sponsors,Sugar Bowl committee,consolidators,travel agents, and the SEC. Superdome only holds 80,000.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
There are only 17500 for each school, but the rest goes to corporate sponsors, athletic depts, and the conference get a cut as well. You'd have to ask someone else who know more than I do as to what happens to to the other 30,000 or so.

The tickets are expensive and will only get worse as it gets closer to the game. The only break will come a few days before that game as people who want to sell start to panic. Hotels are the bigger problem for me right now. Wife works at UA so I think we are getting them, but we may be sleeping under I-10.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.