What makes LSU so tough...and how do you beat them?

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
They've had a remarkable season. Getting a lot of love and it's well deserved, but any team can be beat if you can find and exploit the slightest weakness. Not that LSU has many of them but with a month to prepare I'm sure our staff will come up with some ideas.

So what makes them such a tough out?

They don't give up a lot, turnover wise or with stupid plays/penalties. They really seem to make you earn it.

Their defensive scheme is very sound and with the athletes they have it goes to another level.

On offense, they'll pound the rock just as readily as they'll take a shot down field. And if it appears to be a defense dominated/field position type game they'll punt the ball away very effectively.

I'm not for sure how you beat them, but if any team is equipped to do it, stylistically and personnel-wise, it's Alabama. I think we've got to really commit to pounding the rock and pounce on opportunities when we have them offensively. Particularly on explosive plays. And we cannot, absolutely cannot, give up cheap TDs to these guys on special teams or through blown assignments.

Our top-ranked defense will keep it close and our ability to occasionally finish drives with 6 instead of 3 could be the difference in the game.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Billie Bob

Scout Team
Oct 22, 2003
Mobile, AL
I think it all boils down to turnovers. You look at the turning points in all their games where their offense couldn't stay on the field and you will see their defense making a big play involving a turnover.

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011
Hit the QB hard every play. Run Trent 40 times so that he pounds and punishes the d backs. Put Trent in the slot and pound some more with Fowler. Starting LB's and DB's are on coverage teams. With the LSU man coverages, roll AJ out, send WR deep and have pass run option.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Their team and their season this year has reminded me a lot of the 2010 Greenbay Packers team. Their defense would get a big play or turnover during what seemed to be every game that would change the flow of the game and ultimately the outcome.

It seems LSU's defense and special teams also has done just that on a very consistent basis. If it hadn't of been for the defense and special teams against Arkansas they could have very well lost that game. Their offense up to that point was doing nothing more than going three and out. The same thing happened in the SECCG. Their offense checked out (never really checked in to be honest) in the first half with ZERO first downs. Then the defense/special teams came up with some big plays that ultimately changed the direction of the game and the outcome.

Another thing is LSU has yet to have that game where they made some type of boneheaded play or mistake. From a player standpoint or a coaching standpoint. Which is very rare for an LSU team. Their offense doesn't seem to get going until on of these other two units makes a big play. Their offense doesn't scare me one bit. It's their opportunistic defense and special teams that scare me. If we can keep any big plays from coming out of these two units I think we win and win handily. But that has been easier said than done.

Dallas4Bama

Suspended
Sep 27, 2006
Dallas, Texas
All we need to do different this time is execute more effectively and play with more discipline. They turned the ball over to us twice and we need to not make mistakes when they do (block in the back on the return) and we will beat them by 10 or more. With everyone healthy I don't think this game will be as tough or close this time around.

gmart74

Hall of Fame
Oct 9, 2005
Baltimore, Md
defenses for both teams neutralize the other's offense. so you beat them with special teams play- this happens to be our weakness.
that being said, the last game turned on one single play (the interception/strip/dual possession/omg!! play with our tight end on the goalline)
for any other team in the nation i think the only way they beat LSU is with outstanding special teams. with us, i think one play will win or lose the game bc these teams defenses pretty much cancel everything else out. that play will be a turnover of some sort.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I also think it would help if we ran more a rotation of Richardson, Lacey AND Fowler between the tackles of the LSU defense. Fowler is a HOSS to bring down and continuing to feed all three of these big backs on a frequent basis will wear down the LSU DL A LOT faster.

SimplyTide

Suspended
Oct 7, 2011
As others have said - execution. We do not need to play perfect football, but we can't afford turnovers. IMO, if we can avoid turnovers in this game, we win.

Also, we need to get behind Cade. We are going to need him in this game.

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN
Just execute -- if we had, we would have been unbeaten. I agree on pounding with our RBs but I also like short passing patterns underneath that often will pick 7-10 yards and may break a big one.

However, that being said, I'll just continue with my Christmas preparations and allow Coach Saban and his staff to do what they do!

subherbanite

1st Team
Jun 24, 2011
Nashville, TN
They're solid across the board on defense. Claiborne is way too talented to challenge more than a few times a game and Matthieu really is the "Honey Badger". I can't stand the guy but I have never seen a player LITTERALLY just take the ball away from people like he does. You have to gain positive yards EVERY play, even if it's 2-3 you have to make it 3rd and manageable. With TR in our backfield we really need to utilize play-action, every team in the country would/should be geared to stop Richardson and that will open things up.

Defensively we need to load the box but roll coverage on Randle. That's pretty much it. They didn't do anything "flashy" against us, they didn't want to take the risk. We are probably the only team in the country that can match them athlete for athlete so we can keep them honest. I'm hoping we dare Jefferson to throw it but keep it away from Randle.

Look, we had those guys last game. Like TR said, "we just gotta finish".

Bear Disciple

1st Team
Oct 27, 2009
Tuscaloosa, AL
They capitalize on the other teams mistakes. Whether it be interceptions, fumbles, punt returns, etc. Any time a team has stayed close or been ahead against them this year it was because they didn't make many terrible errors. Also, I thought a big reason they beat us was Jordan Jefferson and that we weren't totally ready for the speed option they used, I know we will be this time around, and forcing JJ to make tough throws to move the chains is always a good thing if we can force them to do that.

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011
I don't agree that the first game plan was good but was poorly executed. A good game plan is one your players can execute.
I feel strongly that if Trent gets enough hits on their DB's, it will mean a win.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
They are re no doubt a great football team in all 3 phases of the game. I do think we are slightly better on offense and defense, but we are not even close in the special teams phase of the game. LSU kills us in kicking and punting especially. The return game I still think is pretty close. Matthieu has had some lucky breaks this year.

I think we can pound them on offense and not try to get too fancy. We really moved the ball in the last game and really beat ourselves with silly penalties and missed assignments.

We have to win the turnover battle. We played a pretty base defense against them and we need to be more aggressive getting to their QB's and putting a hat on them. Their QB's have been able to be secure in the pocket or backfield all year. We have to disrupt their rhythm and get takeaways. If the turnover battle is even, I am not sure we will win. We have to defend the zone read option from Jefferson and take that away from them as well. If you do those 2 things LSU can and will be beat. They won't be able to move the ball.

TIDEnGA

All-American
Sep 25, 2007
Opelika, AL
Watch the 1st half tape of the SECCG over and over. UGA held them to something like 15 yards??? Jefferson had a look like I hadn't seen him have all year. He was flat out LOST.

VandyRon

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 4, 2007
I honestly don't see how Alabama can win this next game against LSU. In September I thought Bama would win the SEC and NC this year. But by the time the LSU game came up I could not pick a winner in that game. And now that I've seen what LSU did to a greatly improved Arkansas team and then a read hot Georgia team which showcased so many play makers I just don't think Alabama matches up well.

So how do you beat LSU? There weakness the past 4 years has been the QB position. That is what you attack. But the problem is all other positions are loaded with playmakers and depth. Can Bama beat LSU? Sure they can, it's college football.
But when you look at the team LSU has they don't ever beat themselves. Just look at their kicking game. That Australian punter is the best punter in college football but is not being selected as the best because the current system does not measure all the things he brings to his punting game. The guy can put the football anywhere on the field. LSU has only had 6 return yards all year long against their punting game. How insane is that? And they don't miss FG's. If Alabama can not turn the ball over it will keep the game close. It will then become Trent Richardson and Eddie Lacy against LSU's 4 or 5 running backs, 8 to 10 legs against 4 for 60 minutes.

In any event I'm looking forward to the game, should be epic! Good luck to you guys!

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
I also think it would help if we ran more a rotation of Richardson, Lacey AND Fowler between the tackles of the LSU defense. Fowler is a HOSS to bring down and continuing to feed all three of these big backs on a frequent basis will wear down the LSU DL A LOT faster.
I like this idea. And that's exactly where we need to run it IMO, is in between the tackles. With our defense keeping the game close, these 3-4 yard runs become 7-8 yard clock killers/drive sustainers late in the game.

And as you said, their offense doesn't scare me, either. You can be sure that Coach Saban and Smart are going to deal with the option they used against us and that straight ahead power toss to Ware just ain't gonna get her done.

I like our chances, but our consistent poopiness on kick coverages worries me. That kinda stuff really jump starts LSU's engine.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.