What makes LSU so tough...and how do you beat them?

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
I also think it would help if we ran more a rotation of Richardson, Lacey AND Fowler between the tackles of the LSU defense. Fowler is a HOSS to bring down and continuing to feed all three of these big backs on a frequent basis will wear down the LSU DL A LOT faster.
Agree, but they seem to rotate a lot of DL in and out as well. THey're one of the few teams that can truly rotate players in as often as we do to keep them fresh.

I think all we need is a littlebetter execution than we had on 5 nov, and we'll be fine. I also wouldnt mind seeing trent get the ball a few more times...perhaps after we get them to move off the line a little with some short passes.

FAYETTE4BAMA

1st Team
May 15, 2003
Play the Georgia SECCG gameplan in the first half and then wildcat and trickplay to victory in the second. Only one steadfast rule throughout the game: If you feel the urge to go for 3, give it to 3 instead and let that defense play.

mulletover

All-SEC
Dec 1, 2009
Cullman Alabama
You beat LSU with sound defense and taking what their D gives when on offense. To the average LSU fan Bama's offense is Trent Richardson. Maybe they're right, maybe not. Let's say LSU commits to stopping TR. I think it's a safe bet they'll sell out to stop the run making AJ throw to beat them. Sound familiar? If this happens we hit them just like we did aubarn, with the TE passing game. This would create adjustments that'll allow TR to make some plays and give us a balanced attack. JMO

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
"The same things win that always won...."

LSU has a lot of talent, but I'm starting to get a little sick of all this best team in history stuff that is coming out of the LSU camp. They are beatable.

Run the ball (We have to do this. We needed to do more of it in November, but not a whole lot more. some of our passing play calls worked to LSU's advantage).
Stop the run (We have to figure out option defense and hit JJ hard on every option play. We can do this. Did it pretty well back in November).
Don't turn the football over (We should manage this. We are good at it. LSU takes the ball away aggressively and plans their game around creating opportunities. Without those, they struggle.)
Win the kicking game (Worries me most of all. Worried me in July and I said it would cost us a game. It did. I don't want it to cost us two. Long field goals, kickoff depth, losing yards on exchanges of punts, and kickoff coverage are what I most worry about.)
please, no more 50 yard field goal attempts....lets punt the ball deep and see if they can drive the ball the length of the field...I dont think they ever did that against us in nov.

RollinTider1335

All-SEC
Jun 12, 2010
Spring Hill, TN
You keep bringing this up and I guess I'm not understanding your point. Are you saying this "ultra confidence" is worth a specific point value or do you really think that we don't know that they should be confident?
Oh! I didn't catch that. We are not just talking about confidence but "ultra" confidence.

This changes everything!

Would someone please inform Saban?? This is obviously something they need to prepare for.

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
"The same things win that always won...."

LSU has a lot of talent, but I'm starting to get a little sick of all this best team in history stuff that is coming out of the LSU camp. They are beatable.

Run the ball (We have to do this. We needed to do more of it in November, but not a whole lot more. some of our passing play calls worked to LSU's advantage).
Stop the run (We have to figure out option defense and hit JJ hard on every option play. We can do this. Did it pretty well back in November).
Don't turn the football over (We should manage this. We are good at it. LSU takes the ball away aggressively and plans their game around creating opportunities. Without those, they struggle.)
Win the kicking game (Worries me most of all. Worried me in July and I said it would cost us a game. It did. I don't want it to cost us two. Long field goals, kickoff depth, losing yards on exchanges of punts, and kickoff coverage are what I most worry about.)
This.
We got ourselves sacked and 3rd and long with long routes. Keep them honest with quick routes.
When we mirrored on the option against GSU wr shut them down. If Jefferson gets blasted by Lester a couple of times he'll think twice.
Sure wish we had a quick kicker

ccc2259

All-American
Oct 29, 2010
Lower Alabama
What makes them so tough? They have tremendous athletes who are coached well.
How do you beat them? Match up with equally talented athletes, make plays when the opportunity presents itself, and avoid mistakes. Nothing original there, I know. But that's the key. The good news, is we have equal or better athletes, and we can play with discipline. I like our odds.

kayakerjess

All-American
Sep 9, 2005
Colorado
If you take what the defense gives you, eventually they will give you the game.

Honestly, I think this time, with nothing to lose, we are a more aggressive team and make more explosive plays and don't play it so close to the vest. We will have the same basic game plan (control the clock, run the ball, with with defense), but I do see us trying to stretch the field a little more than last time. If we are going to have a hard time scoring inside the 20, then we need to be taking shots from the 30 or 40.

miggy402

1st Team
Aug 23, 2009
Waycross, GA
As ironic as it may sound, I would go after what is supposedly their best player: Mathieu. 9 out of 10 times he is going to try and strip the ball instead of wrap up. If we can isolate him on the outside with someone like Maze, I could see another 73 yd screen for a td ala Julio Jones '09.

REBELZED

All-American
Dec 6, 2006
Honestly, I think this time, with nothing to lose, we are a more aggressive team and make more explosive plays and don't play it so close to the vest. We will have the same basic game plan (control the clock, run the ball, with with defense), but I do see us trying to stretch the field a little more than last time. If we are going to have a hard time scoring inside the 20, then we need to be taking shots from the 30 or 40.
Umm, I would argue that this stuff is exactly what we did Nov. 5th and was exactly what got us beat...

RollinTider1335

All-SEC
Jun 12, 2010
Spring Hill, TN
As ironic as it may sound, I would go after what is supposedly their best player: Mathieu. 9 out of 10 times he is going to try and strip the ball instead of wrap up. If we can isolate him on the outside with someone like Maze, I could see another 73 yd screen for a td ala Julio Jones '09.
Let Dre Kirkpatrick go out and block him once or twice. I know he'd like to put a hat on him.

He's got a bone to pick which I don't blame him.

RedShirt

Suspended
Dec 6, 2011
It always comes down to turnovers when two great teams are playing. This should be a classic. Whoever does not commit a turnover wins. Period!

RhodeIslandRed

All-SEC
Dec 9, 2005
Les Miles didn't dump their 4th Quarter conditioning program is why they are so tough. The pace of their game mirrors Alabama's. They don't beat you in the first quarter. They destroy you in the 4th.

tidefan39817

All-American
Jan 17, 2006
Bainbridge, Georgia
not sure about trying to stretch the field. we need quicker passes. match mathieu up on a tight end, he is mainly covering the slot rec. which is where his aggresive play can pay off. match him up on an equally physical WR. and run straight at them.

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011
Well you seem to have it all figured out.

Truth is you, or anybody, have no idea what to expect out of this game just like the last one. These are two great teams and gonna be one for the ages.

One aspect I haven't seen anyone bring up yet is, how many of the current Bama players were on the national championship team in 09?? I would consider that experience could be an advantage over LSU. Just sayin.
This was what I was replying to originally about confidence. What happened two years ago is not going to give more of an advantage over what LSU has accomplished this season.

MegaVars

All-American
Nov 17, 2002
Warrior, AL.
Use Georgia's first half game plan on them for the whole game and lock down their special teams with zero mistakes on our own end of the field. The LSU offense looked as bad as any I've seen this year in that half....zero first downs ain't good and I believe Jefferson was something like 5/13 for 30 yard passing for the game and they had 12 total yard of offense at the half. IMO....playing like that against a championship caliber team, which we are, they should have been down by at least 3 TDs going in at the half.

Last edited:

crizzle

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 19, 2011
These are two very good teams. Both are going to play well. The game will be decided by mistakes and which team capitalizes. Most of the season we have been able to beat teams by just being better. LSU is just as good if not better than us. Expect them to expect us and vise versa. Adjustments are going to be key. We have to be prepared for everything and anything Les can come up with. We have to stick to our game plan while taking what the other team gives us. I think it comes down to which coach trys to go out of his element first. On the other hand, the scary thing is that going out of our element could be the key.

Last edited by a moderator:

GMacFan

Suspended
Oct 3, 2009
Pound the ball with Trent and Lacy up the middle. They've struggled with taking down big guys with a head of steam. They remind me of the 2009 Texas defense. Remember they had a vaunted secondary and led the nation in non-offensive TDs (special teams included). But they were too small upfront to take our quick strikes up the middle to Ingram, Richardson, and Upchurch. We took advantage of that; against LSU, we didn't.

Don't ask AJ to handle those long-developing passing plays all the time. They're not his forte and IMO it hurt his confidence. Not having success early on will make you less likely to have success down the road. Run the plays that our players are best at executing to get their confidence up early. Lack of success early on can really kill the fire of a team.

On defense, we just gotta do what we do baby. Lee threw two consecutive INTs against us. Jefferson didn't because he didn't pass much. Our secondary handled their excellent receivers very well. They won't be able to run against us, I don't think the option will have success, JJ will have to air it out some.

Here's a question...do we kick field goals, or do we punt the ball when inside the 35? If we punt it, Honey Badger gets it, and he's completely upped his game since the last time we played him. He's been great all season but he's hitting his stride right now.

Miles has gotten much better as a coach since 2007. Last year when he was so excited after beating Bama, I had a feeling he was coming into his own. He called a timeout before halftime to kick the field goal. He even got the attention of the ref beforehand to tell him look for me when the play is over I'm going to be calling a timeout. That should tell you that this ain't your daddy's Les Miles. He's come a long way.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.