Looking for N.O. restaurant ideas

mahout 67

BamaNation Citizen
Jun 27, 2010
Quebec Mt., NC
I know there are a ton of great restaurants in New Orleans. Some suggestions from those in the know as to good ones would be appreciated.

RTR

skipster63

All-SEC
Nov 5, 2010
Buchanan Dam
Court of two sisters is nice. I personally love the acme oyster house grill.

Try Mothers for breakfast. But it depends on what you are looking for. You might need to indicate whether you are looking for fine dining or moderately priced restaurants or a great local "dive". Mothers is a $ restaurant and is a local dive but I enjoy that place. Brennans more like $$$. Be prepared for long waits unless you get there early. Might want to look into a reservation at the more fine dining places. Some Places like commanders palace have a dress code so be mindful of that as well.

gumptider

1st Team
Sep 24, 2008
It's nothing fancy, but we like Juan's Flying Burrito on Magazine St. Very cool artwork, solid food, and good people watching.

RobK

All-SEC
Aug 27, 2004
Holts Summit, MO
knodell.blog-city.com
Dragos in Metarie for lunch. Pre game meal of the Saints on thw Super Bowl run.
Drago's also has a very good restaurant in the Hilton downtown (often our team hotel in the Big Easy). The atmosphere isn't much (the hotel atrium) but the chargrilled oysters are among the best in the city.

Another great hidden gem of a restaurant downtown near the hotels is Grand Isle, a seafood joint tucked away on Fulton Street near Harrah's.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
If they are still open, Maximo's on Decatur St. Be warned (unless it's changed), menu is in Italian. Sit at the bar in the back, if you can.

SavannahDare

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Gulf Breeze, Florida
This doesn't belong on the football board.

For lunch, make your way via the St Charles Ave streetcar to the river bend, hop out and walk across the street to Camellia Grill. Affordable, awesome old-school diner/grill vibe. Get yourself a shake, cheeseburger & fries and follow it up with a slice of pecan pie (they warm it on the grill for you!). They have one in the FQ now, but I haven't eaten at it yet.

I also agree about Mother's for breakfast and the other places already mentioned. I don't know if they still serve it, but many years ago I had rabbit etouffe at Antoine's and it was to die for! Oh, and Tujaque's is also good for lunch! Heck, one could go on and on....

bamafan_bdb

1st Team
Jan 14, 2004
Agree about the place of the thread. Until then...

I lived in NOLA for about 5 years. I was in school then, so I can't say much about the higher end places, but there are a few I'd recommend:

1) Copeland's Cheesecake Bistro on St. Charles - this is a now a chain, but the ones in NOLA are home base. Their menu is huge, the atmosphre is really cool, the desserts are incredible, and the seafood is fresh. And it's home to my favorite meal in the world (really)--Blackened Bleu Po-Boy sandwich with onion straws. It comes in at around 3000 calories, but it's absolutely unbelievable. Blackened chicken with bleu cheese fondue with a pile of onion straws. Also reasonably priced.

2) Drago's in FQ - Only went once (pricey), but the other poster's are right. Incredible.

3) Elizabeth's just off the FQ - top notch breakfast and lunch food. Love the sweet potato fries.

4) Crabby Jack's out in Metarie - A bit far out, but great, great shrimp Po-Boy. They really pile on the meat.

bamafan_bdb

1st Team
Jan 14, 2004
Agree about the place of the thread. Until then...

I lived in NOLA for about 5 years. I was in school then, so I can't say much about the higher end places, but there are a few I'd recommend:

1) Copeland's Cheesecake Bistro on St. Charles - this is a now a chain, but the ones in NOLA are home base. Their menu is huge, the atmosphre is really cool, the desserts are incredible, and the seafood is fresh. And it's home to my favorite meal in the world (really)--Blackened Bleu Po-Boy sandwich with onion straws. It comes in at around 3000 calories, but it's absolutely unbelievable. Blackened chicken with bleu cheese fondue with a pile of onion straws. Also reasonably priced.

2) Drago's in FQ - Only went once (pricey), but the other poster's are right. Incredible.

3) Elizabeth's just off the FQ - top notch breakfast and lunch food. Love the sweet potato fries.

4) Crabby Jack's out in Metarie - A bit far out, but great, great shrimp Po-Boy. They really pile on the meat.

engl6914

Suspended
Oct 24, 2011
Natchez, Miss.
You know, the competition is so high in New Orleans that one can say if a restaurant is open, they're good. I'm excluding the Ruby Tuesdays and other similar. Actually, New Orleans is not big on chain restaurants; it's the mom and pop, local kind of thing that predominates. No one has mentioned Emeril LaGasse's restaurant on St. Charles, or Versailles a little farther out. If you take the St. Charles street car out toward Camillia Grill, there's a great Italian restaurant called Vincent's on the way on the right, just past Tulane. And no one has mentioned the gem of them all, Galatoire's. It's on the 2nd block of Bourbon in from Canal--no reservations; you get in line, but believe me, it's worth it. Don't miss Napoleon House, a bar/bistro across Chartres from the Royal Orleans and within a wedge shot of Brennan's--one of the great muffeleta sandwiches and other things. After Katrina they served MREs, muffeletas ready to eat. In my day there was a stereo in one room with vinyl albums full of operas and symphonies and you went up and put on what you dug. Now it's the CDs, and nothing seems sacred. The original muffeleta is at Central Grocery down the block from Cafe du Monde.

Armand's and Antoine's are considered "touristy" by New Orleans people, but I went to Antoine's for a medical school reunion and fell in love with it. I know there're some I'm forgetting. Yeah KPauls, I forgot--in the Quarter. Another, Mandino's, going out Canal and on your left after passing Claiborne--get the turtle soup.

I went through LSU School of Medicine and then trained at Univ of Alabama hospital in Birmingham for three years. One of my striking memories is wanting seafood once my wife and I got to Birmingham. All we could find in 1975 in the phone book was Red Lobster. I swore off seafood in Alabama after that. I know it's different now, but back then I converted to beef for my three years in Birmingham.

Look, the big places are expensive, but you're not going there to save money, right? Believe me, it's worth it. We're lucky this is in New Orleans, the one place in the nation you can party in the French Quarter and then walk to the stadium, then walk back for the after party. I was there for LSU's victory over Oklahoma in 2003 for BCS. I remember walking out on a 2nd floor balcony of a bar on Bourbon after the game; to the right and left as far as I could see up and down Bourbon--heads, no spaces in the street, just heads. This will be one of the great parties.

jds22

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 27, 2011
I would recommend Jachimo's in the Garden District. It is in an old house and you will need reservations but they have great food. Blackened Snapper and Alligator pie are excellent. If you are looking for a dive go to Port of Call on Esplanade. This bar only serves steaks and burgers with baked potatos. There will be a line but you can work your way to the bar and grab a spot when someone leaves instead of waiting for table. One of the best burgers I have ever had.

bilbo

Pro Sports Moderator
Oct 13, 1999
Gulf Shores, AL
as another poster has stated, we need a price range.
$- Central Grocery for a Mulfaletta
Hot Dog at any cart in the FQ (made famous by Confederacy of Dunces)
Acme Oyster House
Oysters at Cooter Brown's (get off the trolley when it's about to make a hard right by the levee)
if they still serve it, crawfish pie at Frankie and Johnny's
Port of Call

$$- I know you said food, but drinks at The Columns

$$$-Commander's Palace
Brennan's
Court of 2 Sisters
any John Besh restaurant

Nash-Bama

1st Team
Dec 6, 1999
Tuscaloosa, AL
myspace.com
as another poster has stated, we need a price range.

$$- I know you said food, but drinks at The Columns

I totally agree with drinks at The Columns! We went there for Bloody Mary's on New Year's Day in 2009 and were also treated to a free and absolutely wonderful New Year's Day meal of Hoppin' John, cabbage, cornbread, etc. The drinks were fabulous!

We also had dinner at Muriel's in the quarter and it was very very good. I would also recommend it.

RTR!

pnhs1311

BamaNation Citizen
Aug 5, 2007
Don't miss Central Grocery for a mulfaletta. Last summer when we were there, we ate at several fabulous restaurants including a great French Bakery, I can't remember the name. But, the one place I have to go back to every time I'm in New Orleans is Central Grocery. The mulfaletta is one of the best things I've ever eaten in my life. Thinking about it makes my mouth water. It's a good choice for lunch. The line will be out the door, but it moves fairly quickly. Don't skip this one.

Ally

Dec 5, 2011
Living in New Orleans, I can recommend several.

For Italian try Vincent's located on Saint Charles Ave. Uptown location.
You have Galatoires for a fancy meal (coat required for men)
Court of two sisters is good and in the quarter, but some don't like it.

what kind of food and price range are you looking for?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.