If you're angry about the Heisman, blame Texas

TideFactor

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 26, 2009
I've read a lot of posts on this board from people that are angry about Trent not winning the Heisman, some blame SEC bias, some blame the loss to LSU, etc. The fact is that after the Auburn game, the Heisman had been gift-wrapped for Trent, much like it was for RG3 after the Texas game. The fact is, the University of Texas has not only screwed over its own conference, but their bullying had a ripple effect on all of College Football.

After Texas turned the Big 12 into the Little 10, by trying to push out competitive teams like Nebraska and others, they also changed Big 12 schedules to further their agenda. Unlike the Big 10, who had their 1st Championship Game this year and understood they had no business playing Regular Season Games on Championship Weekend. The Big 12/Texas said they wanted to "stay relevant" in the National Title Discussion by moving regular season games to the Final Weekend of College Football even though they abolished their Championship game to make their path to the Title Game that much easier (for Texas). Well, it worked.

Bama had the #2 spot in the Title Game locked up and Trent had the Heisman locked up after the Auburn game. Oklahoma State was out of the race for #2 and RG3 had been relegated to a runner up position in the Heisman. BUT, because of this unfair schedule change which allowed Big 12 teams to play on a weekend where everyone else not in a Championship Game was home sitting on their couch, everything changed. In a move instigated by Texas, Oklahoma State almost took Bama out of the Title Game and RG3 did take Trent out of the Heisman.

I think this is complete BS and the Big 12 should either get 12 teams or change their schedule back to reflect the rest of the country. However, Texas makes the rules in the Big 12 and this is how they want it, so this is how it is. The University of Texas screwed Trent out of the Heisman and almost screwed Bama out of the Title Game. Not to mention they looked like a girls school when they played Baylor, locking up the trophy for RG3.

If you are angry, direct your anger to Texas. I live here and have to put up with their arrogant fans all the time... I take great enjoyment of them being 12-12 since they played Bama in 2009. I like to think we are the reason their program is in the toilet, but I know it's because Mack Brown can't coach... However, if you are looking for a program to hate that's not a Rival, look no further than the University of Texas. They have now moved on to putting the screws to everyone...

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
The person who won the Heisman deserved it as much as anyone. In the back of my mind, if Trent had taken that second Heisman moment to the house, he might have won, but it was an uphill battle against RGIII

theBIGyowski

All-American
Aug 4, 2005
Cumming, GA
Can't disagree with you.

Honestly...I think they should move the Heisman voting to be immediately after the last game of the regular season...so as to not give any player an advantage because he is playing in his conference's championship game. This makes it fair to all players because they will all be playing that last weekend (unless your school scheduled an off-week for you...but that's the school's fault). Also...in terms of stats...it doesn't factor in an extra game's worth of stats (see Monte Ball) because you want to judge every player on a level playing field.

JMHO

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I have no problem with RGIII winning the Heisman. The guy is electrifying and I have to give him his props. Its not like Baylor played in the WAC. Granted, his competition wasn't to the level of the SEC defenses but you know what folks? There is no conference that is in college football today that has defenses like we do. But his accomplishments came against good enough competition that I have no issue with him winning it.

RollTideMang

All-American
Oct 16, 2009
St. Louis, MO
I could've sworn that when I opened this I was going to see "If Colt hadn't gotten hurt, Texas would have 2 more Heismans now". I was pleasantly surprised.

bamagradinATL

All-American
Sep 12, 2006
McKinney, TX
I agree with you on this one. I really do believe Trent had that award locked up after the Iron Bowl. The Big (whatever) shouldn't have been playing a regular season games last weekend.

mark4tide

1st Team
Mar 7, 2005
Hoover, AL
I think the right guy won it. The spot where Trent was robbed was finishing behind Luck. I was just glad to see Luck not win it after the media pushed him all season.

hsvmiddie

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 3, 2011
Huntsville, AL
Can't disagree with you.

Honestly...I think they should move the Heisman voting to be immediately after the last game of the regular season...so as to not give any player an advantage because he is playing in his conference's championship game.
baylor's last game was a regular season game. it just happened to be the same day as the sec title game. big-12 lost their title game when they lost nebraska and cu.

BAMA 22 HEISMAN

1st Team
Dec 13, 2009
I could've sworn that when I opened this I was going to see "If Colt hadn't gotten hurt, Texas would have 2 more Heismans now". I was pleasantly surprised.
Kind of like when Bama wins the NCG and people say " Well LSU won the regular season matchup." Didn't both teams know the NCG was coming for the past six weeks and that is the one for all the marbles?

theBIGyowski

All-American
Aug 4, 2005
Cumming, GA
baylor's last game was a regular season game. it just happened to be the same day as the sec title game. big-12 lost their title game when they lost nebraska and cu.
I know...I think the regular season should end that last weekend in November...and only Conference Championships games should be allowed that first weekend in December. This creates a level playing field for the Heisman and for the polls. If your team gets to a Conference Championship, then you should have an advantage in terms of the polls and BCS, but not in the Heisman.

Look at how playing in a championship game inflated Monte Ball's stats. It's much easier to break Barry Sanders' record when you are playing several more games than he did back in the day. But that's another topic for discussion.

HitMan54

1st Team
Jan 29, 2007
Only the Government Knows
I have to admit that I was mad for Trent, this guy is such a deserving and hard working guy. I guess raising a crystal ball in Louisiana is better than lifting a bronze trophy in NewYork.
Realistically, only half of the Heisman winners ever turn out to do much in the NFL.

jeremy

Suspended
Nov 22, 2004
Alabama
GOOD LORD PEOPLE! Our guy didnt win. Another guy who was very deserving did. THESE THREADS ARE EMBARRASSING. Please, please, please just let it go. We are playing for the national title. Be happy.

JIB

Suspended
Nov 2, 2011
Sterrett
Look at how playing in a championship game inflated Monte Ball's stats. It's much easier to break Barry Sanders' record when you are playing several more games than he did back in the day. But that's another topic for discussion.
Barry Sanders scored 44 TDs his senior year - not the 39 that is being thrown around. They did not count bowl games back in 1988 and so the 5 TDs and 220+ yards he had in the Holiday Bowl don't count even though we don't have speculate about what he would have done with extra games. Ball will probably break the "record" in his 14th game. Barry Sanders would have had close to 50 Tds and over 3,000 rushing yards had he played in 14 games.

It drives me nuts when they talk about Ball and Sanders in the same breath. Ball played in a high scoring offense with a very good QB so teams couldn't key in on him.

Rocknrolltide

1st Team
Aug 15, 2007
Foley, AL
By making the argument that "Baylor shouldn't be playing regular season games at the same time as Championship Games" is close to "there shouldn't be a team playing in the Championship Game that didn't win their division." You're trying to make up rules AFTER they happen based on your own bias. I wish Trent would have won, but he didn't. RGIII did and he was a classy choice.

If you really want to blame someone, try aiming your sights at the Southern sportswriters that didn't vote Trent #1. They had more to do with actual voting than anything Texas did.

bamabryan

Hall of Fame
Jan 1, 2006
Alabaster, AL.
The problem I have with RGIII winning the Heisman is look at the defenses he shredded. He shredded Texas' defense and people act like this was a great Texas team. Now look at the defenses Trent went up against, where they are ranked and the numbers he put against much superior defenses. This is my beef with the Heisman this year.

RGIII had a great year. He put up great stats. He seems like a really good young man. I'm not going to say I am livid over the Heisman vote, but I have no doubt Trent would have had even better numbers had he played against the defenses RGIII played this year. I don't think many of the Heisman voters took this into consideration.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.