McElwain to Colorado State

In their universe? I take back the small remark, but everyone is big in their own universe. Unless you meant this as commentary on picking on the little guy, in that case I'll be more sensitive towards them in the future.
I think he was just being straight forward. In Colorado State's eyes, the most important thing is what's best for Colorado State.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Here's food for thought:

When we hired Mike Price - how many out there were comfortable with him coaching the Rose Bowl against Oklahoma that year?
I see that as apples and oranges due to this being a championship, but I was for him playing in the Bowl game.

conturbo

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
I would think CSU would be understanding and realize this is a "once in a lifetime" type game (where you have a chance to get revenge on a conference rival in the NCG). Surely they'll allow him to stay and coach it. I can't see a MWC team missing out on some blue chip recruits because they didn't have a head coach for a month.
Understanding? I imagine that CSU would probably demand that he coach in the Title Game. Any mention of him in that game will be followed by the fact that he is heading to CSU

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
I think he was just being straight forward. In Colorado State's eyes, the most important thing is what's best for Colorado State.
I believe that is not what's best for them and should not be considered fact, and would be surprised if that is what happens. He was not desperate for the job and might want another ring to show recruits.

I believe that is not what's best for them and should not be considered fact, and would be surprised if that is what happens. He was not desperate for the job and might want another ring to show recruits.
He'll get a ring regardless if he coaches in this game or not.

The point being is that when he is named Head Coach... he immediately has that full plate of responsibility. If he is allowed to stay on board and says he'll commit through the championship, he still has that whole world of issues to deal with in Colorado. I don't think Saban would want him to go, but I think he also realizes he might have to as well.

Last edited:

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Understanding? I imagine that CSU would probably demand that he coach in the Title Game. Any mention of him in that game will be followed by the fact that he is heading to CSU
You just nailed it. This publicity may override any recruiting trips on his part, especially if you have a guy on the ground for you. He knows the game in that area.

I meant a ring more as a metaphor for his presence and winning of the game with his offense. Sorry for the confusion, I didn't mean a ring to stick in someone's nose.

Lets not get all confused. Many are just saying that they believe it's a win win for CJM to coach the game.

Last edited:

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
The point being is that when he is named Head Coach... he immediately has that full plate of responsibility. If he is allowed to stay on board and says he'll commit through the championship, he still has that whole world of issues to deal with in Colorado. I don't think Saban would want him to go, but I think he also realizes he might have to as well.
Do you not see any benefits for the parties if he coaches in the game? It sounds like you are heavily convinced that it hurts everyone involved.

LCN

FB | REC Moderator
Sep 29, 2005
If it's a promotion from within in the short-term, I'd say Mike Groh would be the logical choice.
That was the first thought that came to mind for me as well , but I would expect in the end that the new OC will be someone who has a proven track record .

As for CJM , he's stepping into an absolute disaster in the making . A lowly program in a conference which will likely no longer exsist next season , or in the very near futurer , is no recipe for success . While I wish him well , I think he made a very poor choice .

Last edited:
Tht was the first thought that came to mind for me as well , but I would expect in the end that the new OC to be someone who has a proven track record .

As for CJM , he's stepping into an absolute disaster in the making . A lowly program in a conference which will likely no longer exsist next season , or in the very near futurer , is no recipe for success . While I wish him well , I think he made a very poor choice .
Makes you wonder if Southern Miss ever showed any interest. Talk about a job where a 1st time head coach can succeed early.

But at least it isn't Memphis.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
If it's a promotion from within in the short-term, I'd say Mike Groh would be the logical choice.
Mike Groh as our OC(even if it's short term) makes me cringe when I think about it..Hopefully Coach Mac stays until after the NC Game..And then Coach Saban takes his time & hires a OC that's a proven winner..

Bad Pony

All-American
Nov 14, 1999
Pelham
It's examiner.com, citing a source behind a paywall with all the credibility of Jeffery Lee, y'all.

Shouldn't we wait until someone makes it official before we hash out the finer arguments over whether he should stay for the BCSCG?
WJox is citing multiple sources, I doubt they would put out anything without some sort of confirmation..although stranger things have happened.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
It's examiner.com, citing a source behind a paywall with all the credibility of Jeffery Lee, y'all.

Shouldn't we wait until someone makes it official before we hash out the finer arguments over whether he should stay for the BCSCG?
My gut tells me this is for real. It's a good fit in his part of the country, and they are about to build a new stadium to boot. But you never know.

conturbo

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
The BCS Title Game will be the most watched television show of the year after the Super Bowl, NFL Playoffs and the Academy Awards. I imagine the ratings amongst high school football players is pretty high and I imagine the fact that the offensive coordinator for one of the teams is heading to CSU is going to impress more than a few of the recruits that CSU will target

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
My gut tells me this is for real. It's a good fit in his part of the country, and they are about to build a new stadium to boot. But you never know.
And I'll bet my today's already eaten lunch that that he coaches in the BCS game with the blessing of Colorado State. But I won't say another word about it, and too will admit if I was wrong.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.