McElwain to Colorado State

SavannahDare

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Gulf Breeze, Florida
And I'll bet my today's already eaten lunch that that he coaches in the BCS game with the blessing of Colorado State. But I won't say another word about it, and too will admit if I was wrong.
Yeah, I'll be surprised and disappointed if he leaves before THE game.

Of course, with the way things are in coaching nowadays, I don't know why it would surprise me. :rolleyes:

The BCS Title Game will be the most watched television show of the year after the Super Bowl, NFL Playoffs and the Academy Awards. I imagine the ratings amongst high school football players is pretty high and I imagine the fact that the offensive coordinator for one of the teams is heading to CSU is going to impress more than a few of the recruits that CSU will target
It'll be interesting to see the gap this year between the BCS game on cable and the other events which are on broadcast.

Last edited:

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Yeah the BCS Championship game and college football in general is second fiddle to the X factor :)

The winner of a debate over a hypothetical is usually won by the most persistent, not necessarily who is right or has the most practical prediction. We have given our predictions, so all we can do is wait and see. Further debate is pointless imo.

Whatever happens, I am very thankful for the success Coach McElwain has had here. It is a win for him and the program, which keeps the job highly attractive.

LCN

FB | REC Moderator
Sep 29, 2005
Shouldn't we wait until someone makes it official before we hash out the finer arguments over whether he should stay for the BCSCG
A sure way to tell that the report is indeed accurate is that this thread remains open :)

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Whatever happens, I am very thankful for the success Coach McElwain has had here. It is a win for him and the program, which keeps the job highly attractive.
Ditto.

He gets CSU free pub and we get free job postings.

I'm glad he took this job (if it's 100% true) instead of the Memphis job. I wonder if this was why the negotiations fell apart so quick at Memphis? It was said it was a done deal until the last minute, I wonder if he thought he couldn't do any better and heard from CSU and Fresno? I was hoping he would get that Fresno job, that would have been an excellent fit for him. I think he will do a great job at CSU as well and like he took the job. I hate he's leaving but I'm glad to see we are putting out coaches.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
A sure way to tell that the report is indeed accurate is that this thread remains open :)
Like....like...like....

He's gone guys. Coach Saban has called a staff meeting to notify the rest of the staff. Wish him well and hopefully we can send him off on a high note

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Whoever the new OC will be, will be someone that "loves" power Football --

Heck, maybe the HC at Ga Southern would be interested! (don't throw any rotten eggs at me -- but) -- just think how the Flexbone would look with our stable of backs!

LOL -- Ok, go ahead, throw!

Crimson Cat

FB Moderator
Nov 26, 2006
Alabama
I for one was selfishly hoping he'd stick around but I realize he wants to test the waters. I think he's been a heckuva OC for us and am thankful for his time at BAMA. I wish him and his family all the best and him continued success at CSU.

Thanks Coach Mac...Roll Tide!

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
Coach Mac was one of my favorites, I wish him great success, but dang I sure would have liked to see him just one more year. I think he did what CNS wanted so all the folks that thought he did not do his or that I just believe he has a set of guidelines after all it is Coach Saban's neck. I thought he did an outstanding job with our young QB's. He is the kind of guy that will do the right thing, he will be at the Big Game.

Don't want to sound mean here but I thought he could do better than CSU but I'm sure CJM knows best.

Thank You Coach, you will always be a Tide Man in my book.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I think you probably do still have someone from within step up for the game, if not as an interim or co-coordinator, at least take a bit more assertive role. I don't think at this point you really care if McElwain is torn two ways or not, it's his offense, he calls the plays and it's hard to imagine anyone stepping in with the limited practices they'll have and doing better than even a distracted McElwain would do. I do think you still have another party take on more responsibility since the concerns go beyond just the game and into recruiting and the like.

I think the whole situation does make the Houston Nutt possibility offer a few more advantages. For instance, it's hard to imagine Saban doesn't get on the phone with Nutt one way or the other, he's seen Alabama's offense and LSU's defense, there won't be many coaches out there that could offer more insight. Likewise, let's just pretend he is a possibility for the OC position (I'd have to add that struggling as a head coach does not automatically make someone a bad coach, period), now he offers a bit more because he knows LSU, he knows Alabama, and he knows a lot of the kids Alabama is recruiting. I'm not saying he should be the guy, but given the fact that Alabama won't have a new OC until after the BCSCG, he's someone that might be able to make a more seamless transition than most.

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
KrAzY3
With all due respect I'm not sure I can imagine that, right now. You make great points but I just don't see Nutt here, maybe he can be CJM's OC?

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.