Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    BamaNation All-American RollTideMang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Re: Barkely announces he will stay for 2012 season at USC

I can see why he would want to stay. USC should win the Pac-12 next season, plus he'll be in the pre-season Heisman hype, and USC could very well have a spot reserved in the Orange Bowl for the NCG on their first year off of a bowl ban.

2. Advertisement
    Suspended
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Where did you make your reservation at? Website?

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Cheerful on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
    Care to explain?
    Yes I will explain. My "business decision" remark alluded to the long term effects of getting that extra year under his belt. The chances of his success greatly increases by him staying another year and developing physically and mentally (which means more long term big money contracts).

Most players want to actually succeed in the NFL not just "get paid". The quarterback position is one of or maybe the hardest position to learn on the next level. A lot of quarterbacks have been ruined for trying to make that jump before they were ready. I don't think I've heard many of the experts say that Barkley is one of those that needs to go ahead and come on out because he's ready. Luck on the other hand was given that "seal of approval" even as early as last year. There's a risk he slips out of his shower before the draft and breaks his hip. If he was in an option spread offense I'd be more concerned about him getting hurt. But the type of offense he's in he should be fine.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exist, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

Suspended
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by RollTideMang View Post
    I can see why he would want to stay. USC should win the Pac-12 next season, plus he'll be in the pre-season Heisman hype, and USC could very well have a spot reserved in the Orange Bowl for the NCG on their first year off of a bowl ban.
    All selfish egotistical reasons...

The NFL doesn't give a second about college accolades and achievement.

They are going to take the player at the draft and strip him of all his awards and look at him from an individual standpoint. You can throw all your Heisman trophies away, national championship rings, etc. Just ask Tim Tebow...

BamaNation First Team subherbanite's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Breezy on TideFans.com

Not a bad decision at all in my mind. It is possible that an injury could cost him money but lets face it, your 1st contract is no longer the big payday anymore. I do think he would've went top 10 this year with Washington, Cleveland and Miami needing QBs badly.

USC should be exciting to watch next year for sure.

Suspended
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
    Yes I will explain. My "business decision" remark alluded to the long term effects of getting that extra year under his belt. The chances of his success greatly increases by him staying another year and developing physically and mentally (which means more long term big money contracts).

Most players want to actually succeed in the NFL not just "get paid". The quarterback position is one of or maybe the hardest position to learn on the next level. A lot of quarterbacks have been ruined for trying to make that jump before they were ready. I don't think I've heard many of the experts say that Barkley is one of those that needs to go ahead and come on out because he's ready. Luck on the other hand was given that "seal of approval" even as early as last year. There's a risk he slips out of his shower before the draft and breaks his hip. If he was in an option spread offense I'd be more concerned about him getting hurt. But the type of offense he's in he should be fine.
    USC's offense is a very prolific offense but the quarterback does get hit a lot. It isn't like the Oklahoma State or other spread shotgun offenses where the quarterback always has a check down throw and usually gets rid of the ball before the defense ever has an opportunity to get to the quarterback. In a play action type offense the defense has a great opportunity to get to the quarterback at some point. I have seen Barkely take pulverizing hits all year this year and there is no reason to believe he will continue to get hit in 2012.

I have also heard that one of MB's strong points is that he is a very smart quarterback and mature decision maker. Both things tend to make you believe he would be ready for the NFL...IMO

BamaNation All-American RollTideMang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

They are going to take the player at the draft and strip him of all his awards and look at him from an individual standpoint. You can throw all your Heisman trophies away, national championship rings, etc. Just ask Tim Tebow...
    This is true, but Barkley seems like a very egotistical guy...it could be that maybe I just get that feeling from any USC player though.

Suspended
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by RollTideMang View Post
    This is true, but Barkley seems like a very egotistical guy...it could be that maybe I just get that feeling from any USC player though.
    True...

I told my wife I was going to call CNN and tell them I was having an announcement at my home if they were interested.

"I would like to announce where I am not going. I am not going to Hawaii, I am not going to Europe, I am not going to Australia, I am not going to Iceland..."

I think we should all call for press announcements and declare where we are not going...

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Cheerful on TideFans.com

USC's offense is a very prolific offense but the quarterback does get hit a lot. It isn't like the Oklahoma State or other spread shotgun offenses where the quarterback always has a check down throw and usually gets rid of the ball before the defense ever has an opportunity to get to the quarterback. In a play action type offense the defense has a great opportunity to get to the quarterback at some point. I have seen Barkely take pulverizing hits all year this year and there is no reason to believe he will continue to get hit in 2012.

I have also heard that one of MB's strong points is that he is a very smart quarterback and mature decision maker. Both things tend to make you believe he would be ready for the NFL...IMO
    We don't know who all or what all went into to Barkley making his decision. I really haven't watched the kid all that much and I haven't heard any of the experts such as McShay or Kiper Jr really go bonkers over him to the point where any of them would say he needs to jump ship. It is a "gamble" either decision that is made. There are damaging consequences that could happen with each decision. Like I said, most players want to not only get paid but succeed and have long careers in the NFL. A quarterback is in a position to get about three BIG contracts in his career if he does well. I would assume part of what went into the decision to stay was that somebody (him, his parents, Kiffin etc.) didn't think he was ready. How much of that was a part of the decision we'll never know. But, IMO, he made a good decision.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exist, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Inspired on TideFans.com

As for USC winning the NC next year.... defense, anyone? And there are depth issues that just an injury or two would completely bring that house down.

And yes, Kiffin is still Kiffin.

Post Thanks / Like

Where did you make your reservation at? Website?
    http://teamtix.orangebowl.org/content/home

BamaNation Hall of Fame lafella's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Umm, Probation?
    Does not apply to the USC Trojans next year, they will able to go to a bowl next year.
    Hey Daddy why doesn't Auburn have a number beside their name? 5 year old son during the iron bowl.

BamaNation Hall of Fame DiamondDust's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

And Tebow still got drafted in the 1st round due to some magnificent agent working by Jimmy Sexton.
    “We have 45 men suited up. They're all supposed to be ready to play.”

-Bill Belichick