Barkely announces he will stay for 2012 season at USC

Rasputin

Suspended
Apr 15, 2008
This is true, but Barkley seems like a very egotistical guy...it could be that maybe I just get that feeling from any USC player though.
True...

I told my wife I was going to call CNN and tell them I was having an announcement at my home if they were interested.

"I would like to announce where I am not going. I am not going to Hawaii, I am not going to Europe, I am not going to Australia, I am not going to Iceland..."

I think we should all call for press announcements and declare where we are not going...

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
USC's offense is a very prolific offense but the quarterback does get hit a lot. It isn't like the Oklahoma State or other spread shotgun offenses where the quarterback always has a check down throw and usually gets rid of the ball before the defense ever has an opportunity to get to the quarterback. In a play action type offense the defense has a great opportunity to get to the quarterback at some point. I have seen Barkely take pulverizing hits all year this year and there is no reason to believe he will continue to get hit in 2012.

I have also heard that one of MB's strong points is that he is a very smart quarterback and mature decision maker. Both things tend to make you believe he would be ready for the NFL...IMO
We don't know who all or what all went into to Barkley making his decision. I really haven't watched the kid all that much and I haven't heard any of the experts such as McShay or Kiper Jr really go bonkers over him to the point where any of them would say he needs to jump ship. It is a "gamble" either decision that is made. There are damaging consequences that could happen with each decision. Like I said, most players want to not only get paid but succeed and have long careers in the NFL. A quarterback is in a position to get about three BIG contracts in his career if he does well. I would assume part of what went into the decision to stay was that somebody (him, his parents, Kiffin etc.) didn't think he was ready. How much of that was a part of the decision we'll never know. But, IMO, he made a good decision.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
As for USC winning the NC next year.... defense, anyone? And there are depth issues that just an injury or two would completely bring that house down.

And yes, Kiffin is still Kiffin.

All selfish egotistical reasons...

The NFL doesn't give a second about college accolades and achievement.

They are going to take the player at the draft and strip him of all his awards and look at him from an individual standpoint. You can throw all your Heisman trophies away, national championship rings, etc. Just ask Tim Tebow...
And Tebow still got drafted in the 1st round due to some magnificent agent working by Jimmy Sexton.

Rasputin

Suspended
Apr 15, 2008
Does not apply to the USC Trojans next year, they will able to go to a bowl next year.
Not what I meant...

Going to a bowl is one thing, winning a national championship is a whole 'nother matter when you are talking about limited scholarships.

Rasputin

Suspended
Apr 15, 2008
And Tebow still got drafted in the 1st round due to some magnificent agent working by Jimmy Sexton.
He was/is considered by many as the "greatest college player ever" yet he is not an overwhelming first round pick or first pick overall is what I meant.

They are going to look at you with no bias and look at you simply from a player standpoint...no need for momma to bring the rings and trophies to tryouts!

He was/is considered by many as the "greatest college player ever" yet he is not an overwhelming first round pick or first pick overall is what I meant.

They are going to look at you with no bias and look at you simply from a player standpoint...no need for momma to bring the rings and trophies to tryouts!
I understand what you're saying, but rings/accolades aren't going to hurt, either. A winner is a winner. That is going to show up in a draft evaluation.

I do find it funny, though, that every time a player makes one of these decisions... people who have no connection to them or their families feel the need to give their opinion on what is best for them. Barkley is an adult who can make adult decisions... just like the one he made today.

Last edited:

lafella

Hall of Fame
Nov 27, 2006
Baldwin County, AL.
Not what I meant...

Going to a bowl is one thing, winning a national championship is a whole 'nother matter when you are talking about limited scholarships.
Hasn't really slowed them down that much really though. Only 2 losses this year and with Barkley returning it looks like enough is left intact to do that again if not better next year. While others will loose their power players. I could see them making it to the BCSNC next year with a loss if there is an even playing field other 1 loss teams.

Rasputin

Suspended
Apr 15, 2008
I understand what you're saying, but rings/accolades aren't going to hurt, either. A winner is a winner. That is going to show up in a draft evaluation.
One would like to think...

I present, Exhibit A

As a graduating senior Troy Smith entered professional football in the 2007 NFL Draft. Despite winning the Heisman Trophy, Smith saw his draft stock drop considerably, at 6'0", his height (considered smaller than ideal) was cited as a liability. Smith was quoted by the media urging his hometown team, the Cleveland Browns, to select him in the NFL Draft. Fans also set up a website urging the Browns to take Smith. However, the Browns drafted Brady Quinn 22nd overall in the2007 NFL Draft reducing the chances of Smith going to Cleveland.
On Day 2, Smith was finally drafted at the end of the fifth round by the Baltimore Ravens.

Rasputin

Suspended
Apr 15, 2008
Hasn't really slowed them down that much really though. Only 2 losses this year and with Barkley returning it looks like enough is left intact to do that again if not better next year. While others will loose their power players. I could see them making it to the BCSNC next year with a loss if there is an even playing field other 1 loss teams.
I mean they have a chance but IMO a very small one to reach the BCSCG next year with all things considered...

One would like to think...

I present, Exhibit A

As a graduating senior Troy Smith entered professional football in the 2007 NFL Draft. Despite winning the Heisman Trophy, Smith saw his draft stock drop considerably, at 6'0", his height (considered smaller than ideal) was cited as a liability. Smith was quoted by the media urging his hometown team, the Cleveland Browns, to select him in the NFL Draft. Fans also set up a website urging the Browns to take Smith. However, the Browns drafted Brady Quinn 22nd overall in the2007 NFL Draft reducing the chances of Smith going to Cleveland.
On Day 2, Smith was finally drafted at the end of the fifth round by the Baltimore Ravens.
I said it would show up in a draft evaluation... not trump all other measurable features. Besides... drafting is a woefully inaccurate science. A quarterback's success rate in the NFL depends a heck of a lot on who is drafting them (Namely - how competent/stable the organization is).

RollTideMang

All-American
Oct 16, 2009
St. Louis, MO
I mean they have a chance but IMO a very small one to reach the BCSCG next year with all things considered...
Which P12 team(s) do you see stopping them? I'm still not sure how they lost to Az St this year, and they came very close to beating Stanford which would have made them undefeated (if they had beaten both)...and sitting at home. Stanford loses Luck (and we'll probably get to see a better representation of their new coach's ability). Oregon loses Darron Thomas and L. James (right?), so they'll be in a rebuilding type year as well.

lafella

Hall of Fame
Nov 27, 2006
Baldwin County, AL.
I think the media is still on their USC crush if they look solid the hype coming out of LA will make us all nauseous. They may rule the roost n the PAC 12 next year with Luck and Masoli leaving doesn't hurt their chances. I'd be fine and dandy without seeing them in a Bowl Game period. It's just always seemed to me other than the bowl ban the sanctions just didn't impact them like they would have others.

Which P12 team(s) do you see stopping them? I'm still not sure how they lost to Az St this year, and they came very close to beating Stanford which would have made them undefeated (if they had beaten both)...and sitting at home. Stanford loses Luck (and we'll probably get to see a better representation of their new coach's ability). Oregon loses Darron Thomas and L. James (right?), so they'll be in a rebuilding type year as well.
It'll be hilarious if it's Leach and Washington State.

Rasputin

Suspended
Apr 15, 2008
Games they could lose off the top of my head...

Washington
Oregon
Notre Dame (will more than likely be an underdog against ND)
Arizona State
California
Stanford

And we will see who else they play OOC next year.

Let me just put it this way, it is not a forgone conclusion that USC will run the gauntlet next year, IMO it is very unlikely.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.