Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Re: Barkely announces he will stay for 2012 season at USC

Ok the question is if USC makes it to the NCG, who do they play? Us?

Yes I know what we could lose in the off season but SEC and NC is our goal every year.
    Vince Lombardi after being asked what it felt like to be the greatest football team in the world just after winning the '66 Super Bowl.-- "I don't know, we haven't played Alabama yet."

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation First Team
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
    If only football was played on paper...
    yea i know. The point I'm trying to make is that alot of people are dismissing them cuz they hate kiffen. I'm not abig fan of arrogant coaches (kiffen,rex ryan,and Harghbaugh) but give Kiffen his due he is an above average coach with coordinators most teams would love to have. Take this in to account they will and should be the favorite in the PAC12 and it will be theirs to lose and if they get past ND they will probably be in Miami challenging the SEC for 4+ quarters.
    “There's not too much to say. Alabama thoroughly beat us. They are a better team. They were coached better, they played better, and they looked like they will have a big season. They have a heck of a team.”
    Steve Spurrier

Quote Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
    I am far from upset that Matt Barkely is going to play another year of football. In all honesty the kid could have another press conference this evening and say he is never going to play football ever again for all I really care.

I am simply discussing that I feel it is a bad decision and is based solely on the greed to win a heisman trophy, national awards, etc.
    So it's greedy to want to win the Heisman? If so, then you can call every good player that comes back to school greedy then, right?

Have you thought maybe he wanted a chance to play in a bowl game? He has been the starter now for 3 years and because of Reggie Bush's "GREED" he has not got a chance to experience the best thing in college football, the bowl experience.

Reggie Bush, Pete Carroll, & the USC boosters ruined the university's reputation for a while. Matt Barkley is now slowly bringing them back. I'm proud of him for wanting more for himself and USC than 90% of most college atheletes.

BamaNation First Team
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by BAMA 22 HEISMAN View Post
    Ok the question is if USC makes it to the NCG, who do they play? Us?

Yes I know what we could lose in the off season but SEC and NC is our goal every year.
    I think us or LSU will be the favorites
    “There's not too much to say. Alabama thoroughly beat us. They are a better team. They were coached better, they played better, and they looked like they will have a big season. They have a heck of a team.”
    Steve Spurrier

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamainBoston's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I'll never understand people's opinions on these kids decisions. He decided he would rather stay in college a year, enjoy all that entails, and pursue success for himself and his teammates. He is delaying his career one year. I am sure he is on the phone with Lloyds of London even as we speak getting a healthy insurance policy. People judge sports athletes like no other. Nobody judged me when I decided to leave private practice making 6 figures to have a much better life and more fulfilling career in government service for a lot less money. But when it comes to athletes, we act like money is all there is. That they need to make the big bucks right here, right now, and nothing else in life is more important than that. Good for Matt Barkely. He did what he wanted to do. Now remind me why we have spent six whole pages on it?

Quote Originally Posted by BamainBoston View Post
    I'll never understand people's opinions on these kids decisions. He decided he would rather stay in college a year, enjoy all that entails, and pursue success for himself and his teammates. He is delaying his career one year. I am sure he is on the phone with Lloyds of London even as we speak getting a healthy insurance policy. People judge sports athletes like no other. Nobody judged me when I decided to leave private practice making 6 figures to have a much better life and more fulfilling career in government service for a lot less money. But when it comes to athletes, we act like money is all there is. That they need to make the big bucks right here, right now, and nothing else in life is more important than that. Good for Matt Barkely. He did what he wanted to do. Now remind me why we have spent six whole pages on it?
    Not sure but thanks for adding to it!

My Mood
    Cool on TideFans.com

Good for him. Maybe the kid just loves college.

BamaNation Hall of Fame IH8Orange's Avatar
    My Mood
    Volatile on TideFans.com

Vontaze Burfict will probably stay for another year just so he and ol' Matt can have more great college memories.
    "If it feels good, then you're not doing it right" - Coach Scott Cochran

"Sharing a conference with Nick Saban is like sharing a steak with a lion. Only one of you wins that battle. And it's not you." - Gregg Doyel

I doubt he returns but Luck has a year of eligibility left.

My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

IIRC USC chose to serve their two year bowl ban last year and this year, but delayed their schollie reductions until after their appeal. This years signing class, which will be next years freshmen, will be only 15 strong, and be the first of three small classes. by the time USC gets back to signing a full class, these guys will be seniors or RS juniors (assuming they can afford any RS). If Kiffen and USC are going to do anything, they had better do it next year, cause they're in for some hard times.
    If anything goes bad, I did it. If anything goes semi-good, we did it. If anything goes really good, then you did it. That's all it takes to get people to win football games for you. - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

I cant stand Kiffykin and feel like karma will catch up to him eventually. I am a big fan of his wife, though, simply from the standpoint of some good eye candy. But I have to say that I actually like Barkley. Im not sure which game it was I saw him in (vs Oregon or Stanford) but he is real deal as a QB. If there was a way for him to have a succesful year while USC loses every game, I would be for that.
    "The only thing I know how to do is to keep on keeping on...." Bob Dylan

BamaNation Hall of Fame Alasippi's Avatar

I think it's a simple business decision. Why take a pay cut to be a professional when you can make more by attending college?

Nah....honestly I think Barkely would be the third QB selected behind Luck and Griffin 3 and if that makes him a post top ten pick it could cost him millions.

He'll be the top QB in next years draft. Just makes sense for him to stay.

My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

I'm no fan of USC by any stretch but it always makes me happy to see guys coming back for their senior year.
    ---------------------------------------

"In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on."

Robert Frost