Barkely announces he will stay for 2012 season at USC

Rasputin

Suspended
Apr 15, 2008
I think the guy wants to be the number 1 pick and knew Mr. Luck would be in his way in this draft...bad move IMO!

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
Mistake IMHO as well. He'd be a top 15 pick for certain this year. A bad injury or bad year can cost him millions.

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al
The PC was purely for Heisman campaign and pre season hype campaign purposes. Kiffin will love nothing more than to give ESPN a "it all started here" moment to talk about all summer and into next season. Smart but cheap feeling that comes with anything associated with Lane Kiffin is all over the PC.

tide96

All-SEC
Oct 4, 2005
On that note, I just bought 4 USC ticket reservations for the 2013 BCS championship at $50 each.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
If he was a RB I'd say bad decision but seeing that he's a QB and the type offense USC runs I'd take my chances. It will also help him to have that extra year of maturity before jumping to the NFL as well. There aren't many instances in which an extra year wouldn't benefit a player from a development and maturity standpoint.

Rasputin

Suspended
Apr 15, 2008
Smart business decision by the young man.
Care to explain? :conf3:

Mistake IMHO as well. He'd be a top 15 pick for certain this year. A bad injury or bad year can cost him millions.
Yup!

well USC will be a top 3 team in the preseason (not that preseason matters)
The PC was purely for Heisman campaign and pre season hype campaign purposes. Kiffin will love nothing more than to give ESPN a "it all started here" moment to talk about all summer and into next season. Smart but cheap feeling that comes with anything associated with Lane Kiffin is all over the PC.
Heisman's and top ten teams don't pay the bills...

On that note, I just bought 4 USC ticket reservations for the 2013 BCS championship at $50 each.
Umm, Probation?

RollTideMang

All-American
Oct 16, 2009
St. Louis, MO
I can see why he would want to stay. USC should win the Pac-12 next season, plus he'll be in the pre-season Heisman hype, and USC could very well have a spot reserved in the Orange Bowl for the NCG on their first year off of a bowl ban.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Care to explain? :conf3:
Yes I will explain. My "business decision" remark alluded to the long term effects of getting that extra year under his belt. The chances of his success greatly increases by him staying another year and developing physically and mentally (which means more long term big money contracts).

Most players want to actually succeed in the NFL not just "get paid". The quarterback position is one of or maybe the hardest position to learn on the next level. A lot of quarterbacks have been ruined for trying to make that jump before they were ready. I don't think I've heard many of the experts say that Barkley is one of those that needs to go ahead and come on out because he's ready. Luck on the other hand was given that "seal of approval" even as early as last year. There's a risk he slips out of his shower before the draft and breaks his hip. If he was in an option spread offense I'd be more concerned about him getting hurt. But the type of offense he's in he should be fine.

Rasputin

Suspended
Apr 15, 2008
I can see why he would want to stay. USC should win the Pac-12 next season, plus he'll be in the pre-season Heisman hype, and USC could very well have a spot reserved in the Orange Bowl for the NCG on their first year off of a bowl ban.
All selfish egotistical reasons...

The NFL doesn't give a second about college accolades and achievement.

They are going to take the player at the draft and strip him of all his awards and look at him from an individual standpoint. You can throw all your Heisman trophies away, national championship rings, etc. Just ask Tim Tebow...

subherbanite

1st Team
Jun 24, 2011
Nashville, TN
Not a bad decision at all in my mind. It is possible that an injury could cost him money but lets face it, your 1st contract is no longer the big payday anymore. I do think he would've went top 10 this year with Washington, Cleveland and Miami needing QBs badly.

USC should be exciting to watch next year for sure.

Rasputin

Suspended
Apr 15, 2008
Yes I will explain. My "business decision" remark alluded to the long term effects of getting that extra year under his belt. The chances of his success greatly increases by him staying another year and developing physically and mentally (which means more long term big money contracts).

Most players want to actually succeed in the NFL not just "get paid". The quarterback position is one of or maybe the hardest position to learn on the next level. A lot of quarterbacks have been ruined for trying to make that jump before they were ready. I don't think I've heard many of the experts say that Barkley is one of those that needs to go ahead and come on out because he's ready. Luck on the other hand was given that "seal of approval" even as early as last year. There's a risk he slips out of his shower before the draft and breaks his hip. If he was in an option spread offense I'd be more concerned about him getting hurt. But the type of offense he's in he should be fine.
USC's offense is a very prolific offense but the quarterback does get hit a lot. It isn't like the Oklahoma State or other spread shotgun offenses where the quarterback always has a check down throw and usually gets rid of the ball before the defense ever has an opportunity to get to the quarterback. In a play action type offense the defense has a great opportunity to get to the quarterback at some point. I have seen Barkely take pulverizing hits all year this year and there is no reason to believe he will continue to get hit in 2012.

I have also heard that one of MB's strong points is that he is a very smart quarterback and mature decision maker. Both things tend to make you believe he would be ready for the NFL...IMO

RollTideMang

All-American
Oct 16, 2009
St. Louis, MO
All selfish egotistical reasons...

The NFL doesn't give a second about college accolades and achievement.

They are going to take the player at the draft and strip him of all his awards and look at him from an individual standpoint. You can throw all your Heisman trophies away, national championship rings, etc. Just ask Tim Tebow...
This is true, but Barkley seems like a very egotistical guy...it could be that maybe I just get that feeling from any USC player though.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.