Orion Cooker....

BamaLuver

G&C | FB Moderator
Aug 16, 2000
Mobile, AL
My sister & her husband rave about their "Orion" cooker. She said it makes delicious ribs, turkeys, chicken, boston butts, etc. You put the meat in the cooker and don't open it again until time to take the meat out. Have any of you had success with this smoker/cooker?

Orion Smoker/Cooker

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
I've read good reviews of these, saying it does a good job cooking things fast and keeping the meat moist. But also read since the combustion is outside the cooking chamber the smoke flavor is a little different than conventional smokers. Also read that it is hard to get a good crust/bark on bbq since it is enclosed and retains moisture a little too well.

I've been seriously contumplating getting a smoker. I'm leaning toward getting a Weber Smoky Mountain since you can get the 18.5" on Amazon right now for $246. There are also good resources online for these like http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/

Last edited:

Bama323

All-American
Feb 3, 2005
I've never seen one of these, it's an interesting design. The biggest question I have is how do you control the temperature and check for doneness?

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
The Orion Cooker looks interesting, BUT... I'm going to stick with my UDS.
(Holds more and uses less charcoal)
The UDS is much cheaper too...

GordoSlim

Jan 19, 2012
Tuscaloosa
Use Orion Cooker every game. Last time was BCS game in NO. Added two boston butts to racks about noon. Used one large bag of Match Light. Lit it and went to French Quarter. Returned at 5:30 PM and meat was done. No fuss, no work. Tender as always. Have used it for chicken, ribs, brisket, turkey. Just follow instructions that come with the cooker. Thinking about getting a second one.

Last edited:

BamaLuver

G&C | FB Moderator
Aug 16, 2000
Mobile, AL
My sister & BIL LOVE their Orion. They can cook up to 6 racks of baby backs at a time. Light it and forget it. She said the ribs are juicy & tender and ready in less than 2 hours. My brother-in-law actually purchased a second one for his hunting camp.

CrimsonJag

All-American
Apr 9, 2001
Jacksonville, FL
Y'all, the Orion is a GREAT cooker.

A few years ago I bought a real fancy traditional smoker. I'm sort of loyal to the old style of smoking. But, after about a year of needling, I finally caved to a friends' badgering to try the Orion.

Honestly, unless it's for a super big crowd, I'm not sure I'll ever use the big ol' indirect heat, big daddy smoker again.

The Orion is SUPER easy to use and cooks in well over half the time with the same results.

Last edited:

Bamaparrotheads

3rd Team
Jan 27, 2011
Madison, AL
Turkey brined for 20 hours. 35 minutes left in its cook. Can't wait. It was spectacular last year and super easy. Even I couldn't mess it up.

Roll Tide and Happy Thanksgiving!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.